General Discussion

How do you visually tune you cars?

trickeh2ktrickeh2k Member Posts: 7
New player here. Seen a few players I've raced that had carbon hood, stripes etc on their cars but I can't see any option in game for any visual styling for my cars. Are the cars pre-styled upon purchase?

Comments

• Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 235 admin
    That's right - all cars pre-styled on purchase. It's worth checking the car market regularly to see if a variant you like comes up. Even if you can't afford it right then, you can reserve it for a fraction of the price and then gradually pay it down.
  • trickeh2ktrickeh2k Member Posts: 7
    That's quite a weird choice. How would you justify buying a new car towards spending currency to visually tune it? 
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 235 admin
    It is a bit different, but then we're aiming for something different.

We know collecting cars is fun, so the game is designed to make collecting cars useful and meaningful.  This is a side-effect of that goal. A car collection is more meaningful if any one car can look like another that easily.

At the very start of the game you have just one car, and you're saving up most likely for a Class B car so you can enter Class B events. At this point, not being able to customise does seem strange, but we're hoping it can be quite fun to check in to the car market periodically and when a cool class B car appears you can reserve it and start paying it off.

Later on in the game is where collecting cars really kicks in. Unlike other games, there are good reasons to own multiple cars in a class. Most obviously, different models will unlock access to different events. But the real trick is that upgrades grant you Edge in the matchmaking - and once a car is fully upgraded, you can't get any more Edge. A maxed-out car will be great for non-matchmade events when speed is all that matters, but for regular matchmade events having Edge is more important.

Cars also need servicing, they can't be run forever. This creates another reason to own multiple cars.

We also supply the opportunity to acquire those cars more easily. Unlike other games, you can always earn gold by playing, and all cars are priced in gold. You can also win cars in events or collect blueprints (which is something we're working on significantly increasing from what it is now). Later on we also hope to introduce pink slip betting.

Or you can look at it another way: we do have customisation, you just have to wait for the one you like to turn up, and you never know what else there is. We're also adding new options regularly!

• LucidsoupLucidsoup Member Posts: 8
    Hutch_Tim said:
    That's right - all cars pre-styled on purchase. It's worth checking the car market regularly to see if a variant you like comes up. Even if you can't afford it right then, you can reserve it for a fraction of the price and then gradually pay it down.
    About the reservation; How does it work? Say if I reserved a car, what happens? How long is it reserved for? Will I be able to use it right away and pay the full price off gradually as you say? Thanks in advance. :)
    Also, if I can pay it off gradually, how long are the intervals for payment?
  • Hutch_LewisHutch_Lewis Member, Hutch Staff Posts: 6 Wrenchman
    Hello Lucidsoup!

Reservations work as follows:

You pay for 10% of the car and it is put in your garage. A 24 hour timer is then initiated and within that timeframe you must pay another 10%. Once you have done that the timer is reset and you have another 24 hours to put down another 10%. This goes on until you own the car!

Hope that helps! 
    edited June 2017
    Hello Lucidsoup!

Reservations work as follows:

You pay for 10% of the car and it is put in your garage. A 24 hour timer is then initiated and within that timeframe you must pay another 10%. Once you have done that the timer is reset and you have another 24 hours to put down another 10%. This goes on until you own the car!

Hope that helps! 
    Awesome! That's an amazing system you guys have implemented. I tried searching for how exactly reservations work, but I came out empty handed, so I didn't dare 'test' it myself. Thanks for this info, man. :)

On a side note: What if I fail to pay the fee within a certain 24 hours later on?
  • Hutch_LewisHutch_Lewis Member, Hutch Staff Posts: 6 Wrenchman
    Thanks Lucidsoup!

If you fail to pay the car is stricken from your garage. Also, I need to make a correction, it is not 24 hours, it is 7 days! So it is much more lenient than I initially suggested! Sorry for the misinformation!
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Lucidsoup!

If you fail to pay the car is stricken from your garage. Also, I need to make a correction, it is not 24 hours, it is 7 days! So it is much more lenient than I initially suggested! Sorry for the misinformation!
    Say what? 10% every 7 days? Wow. That is TRULY amazing. I love this game..

Edit: Someone told me I might have to pay off the entire sum within the 7 days. I think that probably sounds about right. 10% every 7 days does sound quite hopeful, but very alluring nonetheless, lol. Dang.
    Post edited by Lucidsoup on