General Discussion

Let’s Talk About Events II

Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Hutch Staff Posts: 392 Wrenchman
edited February 5 in General Discussion

Previously, we had a discussion about Events. We read your ideas and listened:

• Players asked for more events, we now have six non-daily events weekly.

• Players asked for better prizes, and we have created more opportunities for great prizes from the weekend you could win 3 Ford GTs to the recent City of Gold, in addition to the Tri Series events.

• Players asked for more rarity limited events, we run two of these weekly.

• Players asked for more retro events, we have a weekly Throwback Thursday event focusing on a different decade

• Players enjoyed the Suzuki style event, so we increased the length from 4 to 7 days establishing the first new event type, the Tri Series. Every two weeks, a new Tri Series event focuses on a different manufacturer and gives away some of the best prizes Top Drives has to offer.

• Players wanted more single player content, we released Challenge mode, where each week, one of the racers from the Campaign returns to put your garage to the test.

We have also improved matchmaking, made events shorter, increased and rebalanced the RQ range, rebalanced challenges that offer too many or too few points, and changed some rally cars to have off-road tyres.

But we’re not done:

Events 2.0

You may remember a little while back we had a Smart Car event. It was 5x Smart Car, and hardly anyone entered (seriously, fewer than 250 players). However, we knew if used a lower requirement, while more people would enter, you might run into a player with 2x Smart Car and 3x Bugattis. which spoils the idea of the event. So to allow this kind of events, we’re introducing three big changes:

The least popular event...ever

Complex Event Criteria

Instead of specifying a number of a type of cards, we can specify a number of two types of cards. Whoa. Now going from one to two might not sound like much, but this is a big change. It allows much more dynamic restrictions. Themed events can feel more interesting while being accessible to players who don’t have 5x of a vehicle. We haven’t run events at all for a lot of the smaller lower performance manufacturers, but now we can.

Finally, an event I can enter!

To The (RQ) Limit!

By far the biggest request in our previous events thread was for RQ limited events, we trialled this in challenge mode and it’s now coming to events, too. We’re looking at how best to run these kinds of events, but here’s an example of how it can apply to a Smart Car event and a new way to make rarity limited events more interesting.

I knew hoarding these RQ4s would eventually pay off

Rarity limited events will all have an RQ limit so that more cars and combinations of cars are viable. Currently, Common Events have an effective RQ limit of 30, which means if there is a clear best car that’s 6 RQ, you can use 5 of them, but now the RQ limit will be less than 30, somewhere around 22-26, RQ 5, 4. This means that cars at the bottom and middle of each rarity tier have much more potential.

Additionally, we are interested in establishing some new regular events in a different RQ format, perhaps 100 RQ.

B-B-Bonus Points

We can now allow particular types of cars to give extra points. In our Smart Car example event, now we have an open RQ50 event, but with a 200% bonus for any Smart Cars. So instead of a closed event, it’s open, with a strong incentive to use a particular kind of car.

x2 is all well and good, but what about x10?

Notes

1) Bonus Points apply to points gained from individual challenges that you win (not including DNFs)

2) Bonus Points only apply to the active player

It’s hard to know how this will change events, as it would be an optional criteria for players to choose or ignore at their peril. It’s a really interesting mechanic that we’ll closely observe once it’s live.

In summary, multiple criteria, RQ limitations and Bonus points are all coming.

Feel free to talk about new ideas for events we can make with the new tools we have available. We do want to continue to try out different kinds of events and different prize tiers.

Comments

• mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sounds great! As long as the various criteria don't make it too confusing, bring it on.
  • RawelRawel Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited February 5

so they don't work in defense? it doesn't make sense to risk using weaker car to get extra points if it punishes you like that
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Hutch Staff Posts: 392 Wrenchman
    edited February 5
    Rawel said:

so they don't work in defense? it doesn't make sense to risk using weaker car to get extra points if it punishes you like that
    Yeah, there's certainly a trade off, you might get more three star victories for prize board prizes, but that results in you playing a less stable hand to hold your position. Maybe you can go slightly, but not a lot, weaker to get the best of both worlds.
  • HuacanachaHuacanacha Member, Wrenchmen, Senior Wrenchmen Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had me at RQ Limit. Other stuff looks good too. To less than infinity and beyond!
  • GsearchGsearch Member, Wrenchmen, Senior Wrenchmen Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have missed it, when will you be starting Events 2.0?
  • none5none5 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @Hutch_Robin what are the chances that a system that allows players to sell cars to eachother like a auction house is added to the game
    Gsearch said:
    I may have missed it, when will you be starting Events 2.0?
    In an update this month.
    none5 said:
    @Hutch_Robin what are the chances that a system that allows players to sell cars to eachother like a auction house is added to the game
    Quite unlikely. That might not sound like an optimistic answer, but that's higher than it was a few weeks ago.
  • MettitiMettiti Member Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still need to fix stuff like smurfing 
    Make use of trophies
    Late league entries 
    Mettiti said:
    You still need to fix stuff like smurfing 
    Make use of trophies
    Late league entries 
    Yeah, these are listed in the second post and will deal with those issues.
    • Improve point scoring within events

• Improve trophy system and event bracket matchmaking

• MSteeLMSteeL Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Car clubs???? im so hyped lol
  • erivfcerivfc Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Everything sounds good but don’t forget about iPhone X full screen support!
  • BugattiBugatti Member Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Car clubs going up agaist AI players for a cool prize would be fun. And they wouldn't need to be easy AI players, same as current challenges but your club would be in the group with ya, and the better your club does the better the prizes  ;)
  • none5none5 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @Hutch_Robin any eta on clubs.
  • ZaphodZaphod Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    Rawel said:

Yeah, there's certainly a trade off, you might get more three star victories for prize board prizes, but that results in you playing a less stable hand to hold your position. Maybe you can go slightly, but not a lot, weaker to get the best of both worlds.
    It’s an interesting idea, but I’m a bit worried about the effect to balancing... If you have two players with two equally matched hands the bonus points might be the deciding factor, but in that case the attacker will always have an advantage and therefore the one who attacks more will win. Spending gold for tickets is going to give even more advantage than it does now.

Other ideas sound good, but this is something you need to be really careful with.
  • benbqbenbq Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m glad to see some complexity being added to race requirements. This will be good for bringing new players in, meanwhile encouraging veteran players to keep buying that garage space!
    none5 said:
    @Hutch_Robin any eta on clubs.
    It's simply one of the possible ideas for the future. There's no ETA.
  • TGPDTGPD Member Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    mikes said:
    All sounds great! As long as the various criteria don't make it too confusing, bring it on.
    Our UX/UI artist wouldn't let us have five separate criteria...

5x French Cars
    4x Convertibles
    3x Uncommon
    2x RWD
    1x Bugatti
    RQ Limit of 71
    5x Bonus Points for any cars with a driver in the photo
    It's technically impossible to build such a hand..

Best I can do:
    1 Grand Sport
    2 Renault Wind
    2 Renault Twingo
    5 french cars
    3 convertibles
    4 uncommon
    2 rwd
    1 Bugatti
    good attempt though...
  • flight4590flight4590 Member Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Very exciting.  Looking forward to the idea of all one manufacturer bonus.  I am also wondering if challenges can be used to give some reward card in the future, such as that Alpine, the DS3 Performance, and more.
  • BugattiBugatti Member Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    @Hutch_Robin

You may remember a little while back we had a Smart Car event. It was 5x Smart Car, and hardly anyone entered (seriously, fewer than 250 players).

Well i did try to enter and so did many others, I gave up after spending way too much trying to aquire smart cars and only ended up with 3 of them.. The only thing smart about that event, was how much you guys made on us to not even be able to attend. LoL
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bugatti said:
    Car clubs going up agaist AI players for a cool prize would be fun. And they wouldn't need to be easy AI players, same as current challenges but your club would be in the group with ya, and the better your club does the better the prizes  ;)
    I want in this club
  • chedichedi Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    sounds interesting, I enjoy that you are trying to diversify events experience
    hope that points system will be clear and not hardly predictable

p.s. now we need to extend our garage even more
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    it's interesting, allbut ... there are a lot of BUT in my head... because for this event (likechallenge FORD, you need a big garage, and no offers, no free garages in tiles) then this restriction.. 1 restriction, 2 restriction, how can i win with bonus (i don't like bonus because if i spend a lot of gold i can win even i have e worste hand).. i will have a lot of headache with this new upcoming... so it's nice if you fix the game before and then you update something... seems a beta but with a lot of $$$ to spend...
  • RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭
    That all sounds good to me. Clearly lots of ambitious stuff going on.

I have one humble wish only. Just make sure the new systems and programming is tested thoroughly before release. And, don't release in the middle of a 3-day final that shifts everyone's bracket into new groups.

Ok that's 2 wishes... 
  • DannyDanny Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    mikes said:
    Bugatti said:
    I want in this club
    The first rule of topdrives club is...
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Danny said:
    mikes said:
    Bugatti said:
    I want in this club
    The first rule of topdrives club is...
    His name was Robert Paulson
This discussion has been closed.