General Discussion

Not Mad, Just Disappointed

mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29 in General Discussion
To my understanding. the goal of Top Drives is to build a diverse garage to ultimately win events and collect more cars. The cycle basically is:
  • Buy packs with in-game cash or gold; which can be built up over a period of time, or infused with real money.
  • Then we use these acquired cars to win events and gain better rewards to progress in the game. 
  • Repeat
For those who haven't read it in the in-game forum, the Nissan GT-R NISMO finals will have a stipulation of no prize cars. That means no Project 8 and no XJ220 allowed.This disappoints me for two main reason.
  1. What's the incentive, point, or goal of this game if investing in our garage to win certain rewards becomes meaningless when it matters most?
  2. But more importantly, it's the mindset behind this stipulation. I understand banning a prize car(s) if they are ridiculous dominant within their manufacturer. Banning the 787B from a Mazda event makes sense. Banning the Pikes Peak XL-7 from a Suzuki event makes sense. But why ban prize cars, like the Epic XJ220, when there are three stronger Legendaries available to use in the event? For many, the XJ220 is probably the strongest Jaguar in their garage and now it's taken away. For others (myself included), they have invested what limited food was available into their strongest Epic Jaguar - the XJ220.  
This all leads to a frustrating and disappointing game play experience. What exactly am I playing towards as a goal anymore if winning rewards (and investing in them) is pointless?
The idea that this evens the playing field sounds good, but it really won't. It will just further the gap between free to play members and the pay to win members (P2W), who will buy all of the upcoming Jag packs to win more Epics/Legendaires and acquire the food to upgrade them. Those who stand to earn the most from this are new players with big wallets who can spend away to build a great hand without worry of running into a car they cannot acquire. I fully understand new players (with money) are critical for a game to survive, but this also feels like a punishment to longer-term players.

Post edited by mikes on

Comments

• Destroyer2k11999Destroyer2k11999 Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was very interested in attempting to win the Nismo GTR but now it's like, "what's the point?" i'd get more useage out of the slightly worse regular one now, it's is absolutely idiotic to me to spend real money on a car that can only be used in ceramic events and future qualifiers and prelim CFs with a mostly worthless car attached. This is a very easy way for me to give a solid "no" to buying upcoming manufacturer CFs and possibly just playing this thing in the future period.

I also find it odd that it wasnt posted on the forum to this point 🤔
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was very interested in attempting to win the Nismo GTR but now it's like, "what's the point?" i'd get more useage out of the slightly worse regular one now, it's is absolutely idiotic to me to spend real money on a car that can only be used in ceramic events and future qualifiers and prelim CFs with a mostly worthless car attached. This is a very easy way for me to give a solid "no" to buying upcoming manufacturer CFs and possibly just playing this thing in the future period.

I also find it odd that it wasnt posted on the forum to this point 🤔
    Agreed. If grinding away to improve one's garage far enough to win prize cars, which are then deemed not usable, why am I even playing? What's the goal?
  • ManUtdTobbeManUtdTobbe Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t have either of the Jaguar prize cars but i completely agree with you, neither car is OP here so i don’t get it. 
  • TimButTimBut Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29
    WHAT THE ACTUAL HeCK!?!  HUTCH  ARE YOU MAD?  cuz I am.

for what damn reason I tried hard to get this xj220, for what reason I fully upgraded it? To fight for ceramic in event where xj220 loses to legendaries? 

Now is the time I stop buying even 100 gold. 
    Post edited by Gsearch on
  • _HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Member Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    I shared my proposal with a few members here, but I'll post it here too.

Hutch, why not implement a filter/limiter so that only one person with a prize Jag is allowed per bracket? The next person with a prize Jag is forced into a new bracket. 

Yes, the downside is that the number of brackets increases exponentially. Let's say there were 3 US brackets before, each of those awarding 8 JX220 cards, with this event the US brackets grow to 24, making the brackets less populated but more competitive.

It can't go on forever, but neither can the game! You can't milk this cow forever. The game does have an end - whenever a person collects all the cars. You can keep postponing it, but in the process you are frustrating people with requirements that make them question why they even bother playing the game. 

I am upset about not winning an XJ220 before, and Hutch's rationale is - don't worry, the prize cars will appear again and you will have another chance to win it. But at the current pace of events in the game, we won't start seeing prize car repetitions until...2024?

• LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Member Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hutch, why not implement a filter/limiter so that only one person with a prize Jag is allowed per bracket? The next person with a prize Jag is forced into a new bracket. 

Yes, the downside is that the number of brackets increases exponentially. Let's say there were 3 US brackets before, each of those awarding 8 JX220 cards, with this event the US brackets grow to 24, making the brackets less populated but more competitive.

It can't go on forever, but neither can the game! You can't milk this cow forever. The game does have an end - whenever a person collects all the cars. You can keep postponing it, but in the process you are frustrating people with requirements that make them question why they even bother playing the game. 

I am upset about not winning an XJ220 before, and Hutch's rationale is - don't worry, the prize cars will appear again and you will have another chance to win it. But at the current pace of events in the game, we won't start seeing prize car repetitions until...2024?

The first part of your post just wouldn’t work, the game would be flooded with the prize car. They’ve already started prize car repetitions. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and you've shown your colours here Hutch.

What's the point in winning prize cars if you exclude them from being useful? Oh, but "they're useful in dailies"? No one gives a rats **** about the dailies. We smurf them to open more ceramic packs than the dailies even give as a reward.

Why should we attempt to win these prize cars if we are not given benefits for doing so?
  • Steph81Steph81 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    The Funny Thing, a Friend of mine asked the support if we can use pricecars in the final.
    He got a clear YES answer, so we fused many Epics in our Project 8 and maxed the xj220... 

Nice that hutch supports lies to us, directly into our face.... nice Customer Service.

• mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL all complain! :D
    i remember that in an old 3d they say about this, for no advantage who have prize car and obviously for sell more packs!! i wait next patch for fix bugs!! :D :D
  • greddygreddy Member Posts: 606 ✭✭✭✭
    Game became too big for hutch to handle it. Nothing new since weekly challenge intruduction. This game will die in few months. 
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Member Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first part of your post just wouldn’t work, the game would be flooded with the prize car. They’ve already started prize car repetitions. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    But even those have been ill-rationalized. Why repeat prize cars if you haven't ran competitions for all other prize cars? 

The game WILL be flooded by prize cars at the end. And that was my point. This game has to have an end - it has to allow people to collect and use all the cars. If done right, by December 2019, most people who have all the cars (will have completed the game) and there will be no point in play anymore, which is when Hutch releases their new game, or a sequel to Top Drives. I'll say it again, they can't keep milking this cow forever. We are already seeing the effects of that.
    If going by recent prize car events that would mean about 60+ EU brackets with about 60 people in each bracket, if top 8 all got the prize car what would be the value in competing for it if? No way Hutch would go for it as nobody would buy the packs and I can’t imagine the player base would either. 
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that Prize car owners are already ahead by this point in the Nismo event because of the prelims. Prize car owners on average end up with a better Jaguar pack from that event, and a better Jaguar hand as a result. 

I don't know if Hutch are willing to share the numbers with us, but I'd bet at least two thirds of Jaguar prize car owners in the top trophy bracket ended up in the top half of the results. 
  • AguiarAguiar Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    These kinda of decisions made me realize that spending 60 euros in two flop PC games like overkills walking dead and fallout 76 was actually a better decision than spending it on top drives gold, thank you hutch you make me feel better with myself everyday
  • MSteeLMSteeL Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that Prize car owners are already ahead by this point in the Nismo event because of the prelims. Prize car owners on average end up with a better Jaguar pack from that event, and a better Jaguar hand as a result. 

I don't know if Hutch are willing to share the numbers with us, but I'd bet at least two thirds of Jaguar prize car owners in the top trophy bracket ended up in the top half of the results. 
    Did you see which ones were offered as rewards for T1? Do you find any usefull?