General Discussion

Porsche 959 should be medium!

Elliot_R34Elliot_R34 Member Posts: 9
In Doug DeMuro's newest video he reviews the Porsche 959 and one thing that really took me by suprise was it's adjustable suspension, which can be raised up or down. The 959 was designed as a Group B rally car and actually has some features to help it when driving offroad. I feel that this car should be medium ride height because of this, which will make it a much more appealing and versatile legendary. 

Comments

• joel24joel24 Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    Irl, Ford gt 04  has more ground clearance than an a45 or bmw m4.
    A 45
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/compare-specs/scw16a-mercedes-benz-a45/
     GT 
    https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/ford-gt-2004.html#aeng_ford-gt-2004-54

Ground clearance is another thing which needs to be fixed. It's wrong for many cars.
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    how fast can it go when raised?
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it should be medium. Normal ride height is 150mm. At 95 mph+ ride height lowers to 119mm (or can be manually over-ridden to be this low always). At low speeds, it could even ride around at 180mm
  • RidingDutchmanRidingDutchman Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited December 4
    HeissRod said:
    Even though the ground clearance is incorrect in a lot of cars (using the current specs set forth by Hutch), instead of making some of these cars medium height, maybe they should raise the minimum threshold for medium height.  I mean, would you really drive a Ford GT over a speed bump without slowing down?  It doesn't make sense for a lot of these cars to move to medium height.
    Added to that, ride hight isn't the entire story. Lower ride height with minimal distance to the bumper/overhang from the wheelbase (don't know the correct English term) can enable you to take a speedbump faster as a slightly higher ride hight but a lot of distance between the wheel and bumper. 

I have seen tractors with long overhanging equipment scrape the road at roadbumps. Extreme example but hard to argue that a tractor has low ride height xD
  • HeissRodHeissRod Member Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    Even though the ground clearance is incorrect in a lot of cars (using the current specs set forth by Hutch), instead of making some of these cars medium height, maybe they should raise the minimum threshold for medium height.  I mean, would you really drive a Ford GT over a speed bump without slowing down?  It doesn't make sense for a lot of these cars to move to medium height.
    Added to that, ride hight isn't the entire story. Lower ride height with minimal distance to the bumper/overhang from the wheelbase (don't know the correct English term) can enable you to take a speedbump faster as a slightly higher ride hight but a lot of distance between the wheel and bumper. 

I have seen tractors with long overhanging equipment scrape the road at roadbumps. Extreme example but hard to argue that a tractor has low ride height xD
    Ground clearance =/= Ride height
  • RidingDutchmanRidingDutchman Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    HeissRod said:

Agreed, but it makes me wonder if that's a labelling error or if I'm misinterpreting stats. It's a game so I don't expect full realism anyway
  • HeissRodHeissRod Member Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    HeissRod said:

Agreed, but it makes me wonder if that's a labelling error or if I'm misinterpreting stats. It's a game so I don't expect full realism anyway
    Hutch clarified that months ago, as the comunity was also confused.  It was originally called ride height, but they changed it to ground clearance.  
  • lg29lg29 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
     959 was designed as a Group B rally car
    *Paris-Dakar car
    Since they finished developing it right when Group B ended, it was used and further designed for the Paris-Dakar race of 1987 (I think).