General Discussion

A New Kind of Event

Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 794 admin
edited January 21 in General Discussion

First, no release date for 8.0 here. This is an outline of how we are working to reimagine Daily Events in 8.0, and two suggestions we have been working from.

In Top Drives, we approach features as toolkit. A framework that is flexible and fit for future expansion. For example, with multiplayer events, we can design an event’s challenges, car criteria, prizes and more, allowing us to try out different things and present a variety of different events each week.

The feature roadmap since launch has been fed by all that we have learned from creating hundreds of events, from discussions with the community, from observing which events work best. From selecting opponents to RQ limits to rerunning Prize Car events for non-winners, we have added significantly to events since launch.

However, sometimes feedback we get hints that something else is needed, a different framework. For example, our Weekly Challenges were a direct response to players looking for more single player content. That feature now allows players to play new campaign challenges every week.

Based on all we have learned and the suggestions from the community, we’re now looking at a new toolkit for reimagining Daily Events. I'll start with discussing a couple of common community suggestions:

1) Easter’s pop-up events were well-received wait why weren’t they called hop-up events

Exciting quickfire events that are closer to a single play session than a three day adventure feel like a twist on the event formula that provided great variety in Top Drives.

We looked at this idea in conjunction with another common suggestion - that of event choice. Allowing decision making not just about which hand to play, but which event to enter feels like another interesting strategic layer.

2) ...More like Daily Non-Events

From a development perspective, Daily Events are safe. Early on, we found all the ways events can go wrong, and players made their feelings known on these issues. In response, we developed an event scheduler, and it has led to smoother sailing and allowed more time dedicated to the more interesting non-daily events. However, it left the Daily Events somewhat uninspired.

Offering choice between events means events can present varied opportunities. Opportunities to use different cars in your garage, against different opponents - not the same hand against the same opponents each day.

Another advantage is that a framework allowing choice and shorter events could be timezone agnostic, allowing you to compete in an event in a single session, on your time, when you’re available, in events which best suit your garage. Perhaps multiple events each day.

These different ways to play added up to something that feels distinct from our current events. A new kind of event that feels and plays differently, while building off what already works. In future, I'll talk about other suggestions that also fit into this new framework and help make it distinct from standard events.

In summary, we have found that some ideas warranted creating a new kind of event, outside of the existing structure. Events that are more dynamic, exciting, and offer player choice of when and how they play.

Comments

• vladimir1989vladimir1989 Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Robin are you working overtime or are you here by your own free will (unpaid) at this time of the night?
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Member Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Robin are you working overtime or are you here by your own free will (unpaid) at this time of the night?
    Could very well be logged in at home too
  • TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Robin.  That sounds exciting and good reason to be patient for PL 8.0
  • Blue2moroBlue2moro Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this isn't lowering my expectations. Now I'm confused.  :)
  • RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That all sounds fantastic! Looking forward to experiencing some change, and rather enthusiastic about the events that might suit my time zone too. Thanks for keeping us posted with that Robin!
  • Steph81Steph81 Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
     :o  :o :o  ...
  • TimButTimBut Member Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great news! But I didn't get about the new challenges in campaign mode.  Is it something like people were doing here, like "beat Monaco 10 without legendaries and get 3 stars?"?

So you say that with the new framework it's easier and faster to create new events, new requirements, even some exotic conditions? 

• MSRZ23MSRZ23 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    The ability to choose events as per our timing is great news. Will it even apply to the big prize car events?
    Does this mean that the daily events we have now will be replaced by pop up events? The daily smurfing is pretty much the only source of cash for most players.
    Im excited that new things are coming up. Looking forward to hearing more in the coming weeks.
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Member Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimBut said:
    great news! But I didn't get about the new challenges in campaign mode.  Is it something like people were doing here, like "beat Monaco 10 without legendaries and get 3 stars?"?

So you say that with the new framework it's easier and faster to create new events, new requirements, even some exotic conditions? 

Robin was just explaining that the weekly challenge allows players to race against NPC, campaign-like opponents for rewards instead of against other players. There are no new campaign challenges to be expected
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimBut said:
    He's talking about the weekly challenge being very similar to the campaign in that it is single player content. That was their solution for people wanting more campaign.
  • MSteeLMSteeL Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    So... No new game mode exept you can choose which event to enter and different starting/ending times of events? Magnifique! 
    oh, I see. Thx for explanation.  

• hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could very well be logged in at home too
    yeah, and in the Seychelles it was morning time.
  • bobdylanbobdylan Member Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Imagine if we could make a personal event ...

So you put one of your very own car / cars / cash as the prizes. 
    You set the requirements and tracks 
    Then you claim a small cash or gold reward per entrant 
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where as i wanna play for all of @bobdylan 's common cars
  • MoogMoog Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info @Hutch_Robin, the ideas sound good to me.
    Regarding the [h/p]opup events, would we have advanced warning of these, where we can see that there will be a short event starting in 2 days time or something, or is the idea that you surprise us? I can see benefits to both.

I implore you however to think of the trophy count segregation system though, it's well documented that the "above x" trophy count bracket includes people with 1-3 legendaries as well as people who's smurfing hand is 5x Panamera :)
    To encourage competition, one must be able to compete, and right now, that's very difficult. I remember the days where I'd be winning or challenging for a win in events, now tier 3 seems to be the best in any event which doesn't see everyone have the same hand.

• mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds good... if you do some pop up events for few hours, not for big prize... and can you increase rewards from daily and normal events? Few money and few gold for long term players and maybe with better prizes we don't smurf all day long!!!
    Can we have something like playoffs? 

Some final event where only top8 from different prelim brackets can participate to win great prizes.  I know that I will have no chance to win against top players, but at least it will be very interesting.  I would love to see how top players are fighting each other. ALso there are several groups of friends between tops, it might be a big group vs group game.  

It also may be final with dynamicly changing requirements, like 5x day event, each day new requirements.   The main prize - some very cool prize car or 2x legendary pack, or something with very high value.

Such event can become something like a "dream" event for a lot of players to participate and win. 

• RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimBut said:
    Can we have something like playoffs? 

Some final event where only top8 from different prelim brackets can participate to win great prizes.  I know that I will have no chance to win against top players, but at least it will be very interesting.  I would love to see how top players are fighting each other. ALso there are several groups of friends between tops, it might be a big group vs group game.  

It also may be final with dynamicly changing requirements, like 5x day event, each day new requirements.   The main prize - some very cool prize car or 2x legendary pack, or something with very high value.

Such event can become something like a "dream" event for a lot of players to participate and win. 

That's interesting.

Something along the lines of a cup, plate or wooden spoon event.

1st round decides which event you qualify for, each finals with a different prize car of varying level.

Not sure if it is workable but would be interesting