General Discussion

A New Kind of Event Part 2

Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 794 admin
edited January 29 in General Discussion

In A New Kind of Event, I spoke about how any new features should be built as flexible toolkits. As features take so much time to develop, you ideally want each feature to accomplish lots of different things. To recap, the new kind of event is a rebirth and reimagining of the Daily Event concept, featuring:

- Shorter, quickfire events

- Event choice providing more opportunities to use different cars

As the events themselves are quick, players can join whenever suits them, making this feature more accessible for single gameplay sessions and other time zones.

So far these are differences in cadence and style. A new kind of event should also offer something different in substance. We wanted to find ways to make these new events feel distinct from our current events, while building off what already works. We looked towards the community, observing event behaviour, engaging in discussions about events, listening to the suggestions that kept coming up, and we saw the opportunity to introduce some of these ideas into gameplay.

1) There's no i in Top Dryves

Player really like working together in events, protecting their friends and targeting…well, everyone else. We wanted to lean into this emergent gameplay and introduce more people to the idea of working together. The result is an event structure that is about more than individual competition, it’s also about team success.

2) Tickets? We don't need no stinkin' tickets

We’ve been exploring the popular idea of an unlimited mode you can always play, even if it’s for reduced rewards. We settled on the idea that this event type would not use tickets, relying instead on car servicing.

Not only would there be no tickets within an event, we wanted to go further and say you could choose to enter multiple events each day.

3) Leoni will remember that

With the idea of unlimited play, and with working on others, we really wanted the focus to be on winning. Further, we wanted the story to be about more than individual races, but about the event as a whole. So we have been exploring the idea that, in a small way, results affect your future event choices.

From this we began to see a different kind of structure evolve: it’s about small events, with new strategic choices, that you can play more, working together and against others.

Comments

• Nacho101Nacho101 Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭

As the events themselves are quick, players can join whenever suits them, making this feature more accessible for single gameplay sessions and other time zones.

Interesting  B) Great to see some genuine thought go into gameplay
  • bullet_splatterbullet_splatter Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭
    This all sounds fantastic, so umm, what kind of eta are we talking here?
  • TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This all sounds fantastic, so umm, what kind of eta are we talking here?
    Weeks, not months
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

How quick is "quick"? And assuming that these smaller, quick-fire events aren't going to be maintained daily by you guys, how many events will we see before they start repeating?
  • 43MK443MK4 Member Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikes said:
    I like it all except the unlimited mode because I have no self control. 
    Yup also wondering how that’s gonna work. I really hope that it will somehow be limited. I can’t see that hutch would want to realase a mode drastically changing daily IG cash income for the players.
  • Huskic69Huskic69 Member Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

2) Tickets? We don't need no stinkin' tickets

We’ve been exploring the popular idea of an unlimited mode you can always play, even if it’s for reduced rewards. We settled on the idea that this event type would not use tickets, relying instead on car servicing.

Not only would there be no tickets within an event, we wanted to go further and say you could choose to enter multiple events each day.

oh boi @AndreasSimmer if this comes out guess who will be smurf mode 24/7
    and imagine using the "slightly increasing hand method" on this @jiga

• SprungGeoduckSprungGeoduck Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    This all sounds absolutely fantastic! Hopefully it's coming soon - seems like the shot in the arm that this game needs.
    Regarding this new unlimited mode I have one question in my head. How much is it going to change daily IG cash income???
    Today active smurfers make 100-150k.
    How much is it going to be with new unlimited mode if someone fully utilizes it?
    50k more? 100k? ....?
  • jigajiga Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Nacho101 in appreciating that there is some thought going into changing things up.  But also like some others here I will remain ever so slightly skeptical...

On the face of it do look as though should be a smurfers paradise @Huskic69 but I suspect that woven into the event structure is some pernicious anti-smurf barbed wire.  As suggested by: 
    With the idea of unlimited play, and with working on others, we really wanted the focus to be on winning. Further, we wanted the story to be about more than individual races, but about the event as a whole. So we have been exploring the idea that, in a small way, results affect your future event choices.
    43MK4 said:
    Regarding this new unlimited mode I have one question in my head. How much is it going to change daily IG cash income???
    Today active smurfers make 100-150k.
    How much is it going to be with new unlimited mode if someone fully utilizes it?
    50k more? 100k? ....?
    Or maybe unlimited mode won’t give any rewards for each race won? Instead there will just be a reward based on your final place in the given event?
  • RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    @jiga
     it might be the anti-smurfing measure here. 

If placing badly affects your future choices we are being discouraged from smurfing. If the new boards card reward are now lower value also, because there are unlimited tickets, smurfers might actually lose out. I hope not, but it sounds like a possibility.

• Nacho101Nacho101 Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    @jiga
     it might be the anti-smurfing measure here. 

If placing badly affects your future choices we are being discouraged from smurfing. If the new boards card reward are now lower value also, because there are unlimited tickets, smurfers might actually lose out. I hope not, but it sounds like a possibility.

So my question is... Will this new gameplay mode replace daily's or be a supplement?
  • StealthFTStealthFT Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    1) There's no i in Top Dryves

Player really like working together in events, protecting their friends and targeting…well, everyone else. We wanted to lean into this emergent gameplay and introduce more people to the idea of working together. The result is an event structure that is about more than individual competition, it’s also about team success.

Smurfing is about teamwork! So I hope we'll be fine. :p
  • TD01055TD01055 Member Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good, although I have one question - will this be in addition to, or instead of the regular events?
  • MSRZ23MSRZ23 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Will this new different events for time zone also affect the prize car events? 
    I like the idea of these new fast events and with teamwork. Cant wait to see it in action. I just hope you guys can give us a timeframe so we can mentally be prepared rather than the agonizing wait that is 'weeks'
    With challenges having great rewards and these new events things are looking bright for casual players like me 😁
  • grandvachegrandvache Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aka daily farming is dead mode??
  • MoogMoog Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    I farm. A lot. 
    Yet, I'd be happy to not do that if it meant that I could competitively participate in events for adequate prizes (I think ceramic prizes are fine if they're achievable).

@Hutch_Robin, regarding the co-op gameplay you mention. I'm fairly active on the forum, check it multiple times per day etc. Yet I've never teamed up. There are certain names that I recognise and avoid due to respect, but I've never made any pacts etc (perhaps this is why I don't own any prize cars!). Do you see this dynamic as forcing people to make alliances in order to succeed? Will the prizes be split across the team rather than individual based? Will garages still remain individual?
  • RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    Aka daily farming is dead mode??

I really hope not. I remember that Tim had said to me that they think smurfing is a legitimate strategy, but that they were considering options that might entice smurfers away from this style of gameplay. The impression I got from that conversation was that it was dangling a carrot in front of the donkey, rather than giving it a push from behind. 

I was more than happy to hear that, and even offered a suggestion, or maybe two. 

Until we find out what this new system entails, I prefer to stay optimistic. If it turns out badly, I'll make a post (as others will too) about why I believe that, and try to reason with them on a suitable change again. At least Hutch are indeed trying to evolve gameplay to our collective benefit.

Fingers crossed
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Interesting ideas, good we will get some additions for the gameplay.
    i would prefer random teams, else it could snowball too fast. fast events, oh yes please!
    i just hope they dont kill smurfing, as its essential for any freeplayer to stay at least a bit competitive. 

@Huskic69 , unlimited mode?! could be a way to get the dust of lots of my cars hehe.im in

• UltimateUltimate Member Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    Can I just say unlimited mode is not really unlimited when you just swapped out one ticket counter for another. You do get a lot more play time with car servicing, but it’s essentially the same thing as tickets. Although I can see that being quite effective when using rares and lower when you have multiple copies of cars and can swap them out. A bit harder to do when you get to URs to Legendaries. Anyhow, love to see how it all works out.
    Post edited by Ultimate on