City: Stage 1 Strategy

Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Hutch Staff Posts: 437 admin
edited June 2016 in Strategy Discussion
This is the first in a series of strategy guides. Here you will see Bob from Hutch racing off against Jamie from Hutch. These guys are fast with PB's of 1:02 on City: Stage 1, currently ranked 3 and 4 globally. There's a lot of advanced tactics to be picked up from watching them in action.

Top Tips for City: Stage 1

Getting to the top is not easy. You should ultimately know every ripple and curve of each track intimately and be able to race with your eyes closed. Try 15 minutes of meditation before racing in order to get fully into 'The Zone'. Bob only races in the lotus position to help maintain his focus and inner calm. Once prepared, you are ready to go.

1) Firstly, make sure you have a great profile picture. The serious look should be enough to intimidate anyone who gets close to your time. You might want to try other approaches like Hutch_Matt who goes for the ludicrously comical face, which is a huge distraction to your rivals.

1.1) We recommend wearing a black James Bond-style sweater, you will simply go faster wearing one. Remember, the biggest challenge is solid preparation and mental rehearsal. It might be possible to get a black sweater on loan and reap the same benefit (Warning: not tested). Loose or colourful clothing is not recommended, expect to add 2-3 seconds onto your time by ignoring the fashion aspects of Hill Climb.

2) To get times this fast you need minimum of The Classic SX1 fully upgraded. That's a lot of racing and upgrading in The Classic. Be prepared to work for it. Fortunately, you probably need to race this track quite a few times to understand some of the subtle nuances involved in braking and when to lay the smack down with quite serious acceleration.

3) You need to hit the hill before the first swinging bridge correctly in order to clear it. If you don't know which hill I mean, you are probably not ready.
Look how Bob rear-ends his Classic on the proceeding hill to shed speed and get the perfect approach. This is the work of a master, feathering the brake like a virtuoso concert violinist. After the swinging bridge, make sure you break heavily following the big drop-off to avoid losing lots of speed by bouncing around. Plan ahead and improvise only when necessary.

4) You need to hit the first gap jump correctly in order to clear the following big hill completely and gain valuable seconds. This is the feel-good hill, if you make this in good time you are doing very well. Bob messes this up a bit in the video, and Jamie takes a big lead here. Bob knows he has messed up, you can see it in his over-eagerness to try and claw back some time afterwards.

5) The 'softly' approach is needed next, patience and subtlety win out in order to take the steep hills gently and avoid getting too much air. Too much air on these hills is a killer, it will slow you down and destroy your ambitions. Getting these hills right really sets you up for a beautiful combo that will leave your rivals eating dust, and you soaring like an eagle to the finish.

6) There's a couple more key braking zones to master before the finish, including the second swinging bridge. This bridge is known as the noob-destroyer, under-estimate it at your peril. It's absolutely incredible how much you need to rear-end brake before the second swinging bridge. If I had not seen it with my own eyes in this video I would not believe it.

7) After finishing, ensure you brag to any Facebook friends whose time you have just beaten. Make it sound like it only took a couple of tries, even if it took 50. Sun Tzu will smile upon your mental warfare with pride. This is 80% a mind game and stopping others from reaching your time is a big factor.

We hope this guide helps. Feel free to post links to your fastest City: Stage 1 vids or screenshots.

Comments

• GsearchGsearch Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    104.5?  Not bad I guess.   I mean, it wouldn't win a competition or anything,  but for demo sake, I guess it isn't all that bad.  LOL..  I remember when I thought a 1:10 was lightning fast and unbeatable.   I just can't break the 1:03 barrier!

• TheButtKickerUKTheButtKickerUK Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2016
    Gsearch said:
    104.5?  Not bad I guess.   I mean, it wouldn't win a competition or anything,  but for demo sake, I guess it isn't all that bad.  LOL..  I remember when I thought a 1:10 was lightning fast and unbeatable.   I just can't break the 1:03 barrier!

Seems you went for The Classic. I am currently almost done Fully Upgrading the SX1 variant of The Muscle and gonna give it my all on that track.
  • Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Hutch Staff Posts: 437 admin
    I'm 1:03.38 on this track, also struggling to get below the 1:03 golden barrier.
    I can see what needs to be done but can't execute it perfectly.

The Classic is definitely the car for this track, it just has the speed needed.

What do you guys think about some kind of live Hill Climb contest, maybe streamed on Twitch?
    We could do a best of three attempts to get the lowest time. We can try to rope in some of the guys producing the fastest times. Some true competition.
    I love the idea.  Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  However, I think it should be 5 runs and you eliminate you worst 2 or the worst and the best.  Would be sick.
    Oh, and I love my Low Rider.... 
  • SonofpopsSonofpops Member Posts: 11
    Did i just beat a world record then or at least become top 5? if those two have 3rd and 4th globally?
    The times I posted were from before the Low Rider was introduced, which is even better suited to this track than The Classic.
    SO what is the world record time?

Also just checked on google games and I am ranked 22nd in world (on android) for city rush yaya!!
  • LePygmeeLePygmee Member Posts: 2
    How do you guys post a picture like this ?
  • dhilldhill Member Posts: 18
    On my boards im the fastest unless im missing  someone
    dhill said:
    The guy in second place on your leaderboard looks pretty scary.
  • vesseyvessey Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2016
    Im not that scary! Haha. Finally beat your time David Hill. After close to 200 attempts.
    vessey said:
    Im not that scary! Haha. Finally beat your time David Hill. After close to 200 attempts.
    If that's you in second place, you do look pretty scary!
    That is so sad.  5th place.  I had this game when 1.06 was the greatest time ever even thought of.
    Bunch of Johnny-Come-Lately's.  

And dude... you look scary.

Gsearch you sound like the old veteran looking at the new kids on the block
    edited November 2016
    I seem like the only one on this forum. Lol.  Where has the witty banter gone?

Picked up first place on Snow Stage 3 yesterday... Relegating Mr. Hill to 2nd.
    Managed to move to 3rd on Desert Pro Racer 1. 
  • vesseyvessey Member Posts: 24
    Don't get too comfortable on snow stage 3 Gsearch. I'm close to getting that sx1 big rig.
    vessey said:
    Very nice I've  been away for a bit had to get another device illbe back at it soon
    Lol I've  fell behind ill do my best to make a comeback!
    Gsearch said:
    I seem like the only one on this forum. Lol.  Where has the witty banter gone?

Picked up first place on Snow Stage 3 yesterday... Relegating Mr. Hill to 2nd.
    Managed to move to 3rd on Desert Pro Racer 1. 

The funniest thing is Gsearch considering himself to be witty! ;)
    That is the funny thing?  This from the robot who attempts to answer people on this forum. 
  • VGFVGF Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone the best time for this track in the classic?
  • dwnwrddwnwrd Member Posts: 19
    I'd like to see top times on a per-vehicle basis. Would be interesting! I'm a really good bouncer driver. But kind of average with the racer. 

Took #1 on a level finally, desert pro racers! Woot!
  • bgiselbgisel Member Posts: 8
    Where do you find the global best times?

• cheetaspeedercheetaspeeder Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    1:01.13 with regular maxxed out racer