939 beating 969

TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Member Posts: 550 ✭✭✭✭✭
I didn't know this was still a thing  :|
@Hutch_Tim  @Hutch_Robin   Please tell me this is fixed in PL 8.0

Comments

• RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep those expectations low
  • TwinkieTwinkie Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was used to see this on offroad but this is new to me.... its been over a year since i saw this last time🤔
  • ppedrasppedras Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    The extra weight helps the car go down.... 😂 
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    ppedras said:
    The extra weight helps the car go down.... 😂 
    for the same reason german Manta drivers prefer leaded gasoline.
  • TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Member Posts: 550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim  Thanks for the response.  Don't forget about our good friend, the Test Bowl

• RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would've thought that the engine upgrading traction change would come in PL 8.0

Shouldn't it be (relatively) simple to just reverse the code added earlier to give that boost?
  • lonelyterroristlonelyterrorist Member Posts: 40
     Hutch_Tim said:
    There are no physics changes planned for 8.0 as we figured it was time to focus on other things for a bit.
    What about hill climb points? 
  • krystiankrystian Member Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't changing in this update. I don't want to increase the testing burden this late in an update cycle. Additionally, there are new hill climb challenges in the Mountain environment. I want to get some data on these challenges in the wild first, and then make changes to all similar challenges at once, to avoid some hill climbs giving much more points than others.
    Don't worry Robin...
    No rush...
    We waiting 3 months for update now so we may also wait another 3 months
  • MSteeLMSteeL Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭
    krystian said:
    This isn't changing in this update. I don't want to increase the testing burden this late in an update cycle. Additionally, there are new hill climb challenges in the Mountain environment. I want to get some data on these challenges in the wild first, and then make changes to all similar challenges at once, to avoid some hill climbs giving much more points than others.
    Don't worry Robin...
    No rush...
    We waiting 3 months for update now so we may also wait another 3 months
    We can also test new hill climbs, no problemo! 
  • Olli8888Olli8888 Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    I don’t get why we paid to test a beta and not get paid to test it... testbowl is broken since 4 months?! now?
    slalom is broken since one year?
    and now we wait since 3 months for new content and Robin already said it’s actually about to get test in the wild?!
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 690 admin
    Olli8888 said:
    I don’t get why we paid to test a beta and not get paid to test it... testbowl is broken since 4 months?! now?
    and now we wait since 3 months for new content and Robin already said it’s actually about to get test in the wild?!
    What issue with test bowl are you referring to?

There are some issues with occasional cars beating more upgraded cars, we fixed most cases in PL2, and then fixed most remaining cases again more recently. It's an iterative process. Over time, we have and will continue to make improvements to the match engine to reduce these cases.

I said that I'd like data on how some of the new hill climbs perform in the wild before making changes to hill climb point allocation so that they are consistent.
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you say about hillclimb... but when you race a dirty wet hillclimb... you think that allterrain tyres perform better than a standard tyres.. and not only the weight is important!!
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:
    you say about hillclimb... but when you race a dirty wet hillclimb... you think that allterrain tyres perform better than a standard tyres.. and not only the weight is important!!
    I think @Hutch_Tim already mentioned that this is one area they will look into post 8.0 update
    i understand.. but it's weird this results.. and the update take a lot of time and they didn't review this.. they only change the % of Hill... and not others factors... strange
    edited February 19
    mauro07 said:
    i understand.. but it's weird this results.. and the update take a lot of time and they didn't review this.. they only change the % of Hill... and not others factors... strange
    It's not at all strange to prioritise a single, lower risk change. That's what was done in our previous update (7.6).

It has been two months since our last update in December, but that time has included annual leave over Christmas, plus new features take time to develop. Of course, we'd love to release more stuff more frequently - we're working hard to do so.
  • Olli8888Olli8888 Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    Olli8888 said:
    What issue with test bowl are you referring to?

There are some issues with occasional cars beating more upgraded cars, we fixed most cases in PL2, and then fixed most remaining cases again more recently. It's an iterative process. Over time, we have and will continue to make improvements to the match engine to reduce these cases.

I said that I'd like data on how some of the new hill climbs perform in the wild before making changes to hill climb point allocation so that they are consistent.
    Something like this?! And this is since the last update...
  • TimButTimBut Member Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭
    Pls add American daily event instead of that stupid mixed tracks with dirt, city streets, slalom and all drags. It's really stupid setup where you probably can't win all 5 tickets on 3 stars probably with any possible hand. 
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Member Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:
    It's not at all strange to prioritise a single, lower risk change. That's what was done in our previous update (7.6).

It has been two months since our last update in December, but that time has included annual leave over Christmas, plus new features take time to develop. Of course, we'd love to release more stuff more frequently - we're working hard to do so.
    But that was 7.6. which was mostly bugfixes after 7.5... which was bugfixing after 7.0... it's been significantly longer since an actual feature update and that's why everyone is getting impatient.
    i don't know if push LOL or Agree botton!! :D :D
    edited February 19
    mauro07 said:

But that was 7.6. which was mostly bugfixes after 7.5... which was bugfixing after 7.0... it's been significantly longer since an actual feature update and that's why everyone is getting impatient.
    I appreciate that. I'm just as impatient! To expand on the previous updates, 7.5 wasn't just bugfixing, there's a whole bunch of non-player facing stuff that went into that update (SDK updates, for example). There's not really a good way to communicate all these things, but it's not unsubstantial. Additionally, 7.5 had some work for migration between versions, so that players race in the same buckets before and after updates. 7.6 had a car correction and balancing changes (so wasn't a planned release).

Spending time on those engine changes for those updates was time not spent on 8.0. This is why there are no additional engine changes for 8.0, so we could focus on feature development.

This is part of the trade off though. If players want us to further improve the engine, ideally we'll change one thing at a time, prioritising what will have the biggest impact on improving everyone's experience. But making that improvement could mean the next feature will be a couple of weeks later that it would otherwise be, and if there are a few improvements: for example:

- traction change for engine upgrades
    - prevent last minute event registration
    - any number of general bug fixes

That will add weeks to developing and testing time. Then, player perception will likely be that it took 9.0 way too long to release with any new content. Even though we were working hard and delivered on some super important things.
  • JakeKJakeK Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Got another instance where the less upgrade car wins. Makes Jake a sad panda :(
    edited February 19
    mauro07 said:

I appreciate that. I'm just as impatient! To expand on the previous updates, 7.5 wasn't just bugfixing, there's a whole bunch of non-player facing stuff that went into that update (SDK updates, for example). There's not really a good way to communicate all these things, but it's not unsubstantial. Additionally, 7.5 had some work for migration between versions, so that players race in the same buckets before and after updates. 7.6 had a car correction and balancing changes (so wasn't a planned release).

Spending time on those engine changes for those updates was time not spent on 8.0. This is why there are no additional engine changes for 8.0, so we could focus on feature development.

This is part of the trade off though. If players want us to further improve the engine, ideally we'll change one thing at a time, prioritising what will have the biggest impact on improving everyone's experience. But making that improvement could mean the next feature will be a couple of weeks later that it would otherwise be, and if there are a few improvements: for example:

That will add weeks to developing and testing time. Then, player perception will likely be that it took 9.0 way too long to release with any new content. Even though we were working hard and delivered on some super important things.
    Don't get me wrong Tim, I get that, I have to manage a development cycle too : p. I'm fine with you guys taking time to finish it, especially since you're under no promise or obligation to deliver an update every two-three months or anything. This is, however, more or less what we've gotten used to and we could use some more info about whether or not it's coming anytime soon. I've been hoarding cash and gold since christmas in preparation for the update and it's really starting to kill the fun of playing. Maybe I could plan spending if I had some vague idea about where the finish line lies.

Fingers crossed and can't wait. 

EDIT: lol sorry Robin, could have sworn it was Tim answering : D
    Post edited by evilprofesseur on
  • James_PearceJames_Pearce Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:

Don't get me wrong Tim, I get that, I have to manage a development cycle too : p. I'm fine with you guys taking time to finish it, especially since you're under no promise or obligation to deliver an update every two-three months or anything. This is, however, more or less what we've gotten used to and we could use some more info about whether or not it's coming anytime soon. I've been hoarding cash and gold since christmas in preparation for the update and it's really starting to kill the fun of playing. Maybe I could plan spending if I had some vague idea about where the finish line lies.

*cough* You’re talking to Robin, not Tim *cough*
    mauro07 said:

*cough* You’re talking to Robin, not Tim *cough*
    oh man, clearly I was up for too long. terribly sorry about that.
  • MSteeLMSteeL Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:

If there is no new game mode after you told us this, I will be very dissapointed. Because some new tracks, some kind of pop up events and new cars just aint enough after all this time.
    Not trying to be pesimistic and all, but I think its time to show most old players that the game is not just money sucking barrel.

Wish you good luck