General Discussion

Late join thread1000

Comments

• LEGENDNADALEGENDNADA Member Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    what about extending the bracket capacity from 500 to 5000 and exdtending the prizes to 1-80 tier one and so on? A good idea for late joining issue but would be a massacre 
    That would give out far too many prize cars though. 

500 = top 8 
    5000 = top 80 
    Same prize cars given 

what about extending the bracket capacity from 500 to 5000 and exdtending the prizes to 1-80 tier one and so on? A good idea for late joining issue but would be a massacre 
    that's what I suggested 5 years ago. Tim thinks this would lead to too big jumps in ranks and be for that reason confusing.
    It worth a shot maybe trying it in one event with low prize car to test it and increasing the tickets time and gold and the time of the event 5 days maybe?

Minimum 2 brackets would give 160 prize cars, there’s never been anything like 20 brackets in the US or Asia and probably a long time since that number was hit on the EU servers.  👍🏻
    5000 is just a number, they can see the number of the participants in each server in the few past final event and make it the same if 4000 in europe maybe two brackets each 2500, asia 2000 two brackets each 1000 and so on
  • SquadalaSquadala Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many players left the game because they lost carbon packs and position in last fricking 2 minutes because of crappy late joiners. F-ing 3 days playing the event and someone comes last 5 mins and fqs you over.
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Member Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13
    Squadala said:
    I wonder how many players left the game because they lost carbon packs and position in last fricking 2 minutes because of crappy late joiners. F-ing 3 days playing the event and someone comes last 5 mins and fqs you over.
    No one late joins a bracket that was open from the start. and If they did for some reason and still managed to beat you then they'd be above you anyway.
    Post edited by evilprofesseur on
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Member Posts: 490 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    Anzatoro said:

Then all the salty whales/etc will come again and say "this is unethical and should be changed".
    The trouble with your 'them and us' argument is that there's not just those two neatly defined groups but a continuum of players.

Post edited by EndlessWaves on
  • jigajiga Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:

Option 2 - Open all brackets from the beginning. If Hutch's data shows them how many players have been active in the game in the previous month, combined with how many have hands that meet the criteria, they can know how many are likely to play an event. Open all the brackets required to cover that number right at the beginning, and have them fill equally over the event. In case there is a worry that additional players will become eligible to meet the criteria, open an additional (x) brackets also. 

Hutch's usual responses - 

Option 2 - As far as I'm aware this is a new suggestion so I will take a guess here. 'If they make a wrong prediction using data, some players will miss out'. If a player is so casual, that they miss out entering a 3-day event due to late-joining, I honestly think it is their own fault. Don't'punish the majority of the player base for a few. Also, you can open a few extra brackets, and this won't skew the number of prizes by a huge amount.
    I think this option 2 is a very sensible solution.  I like also that it kills two birds with one stone.  It takes away both the late join lottery (which i personally resent as being almost always my best or only chance of winning a prize car) and also the huge disincentive to join early which is first generation brackets crammed with whales.

If Hutch's estimate for how many brackets needed falls short then open new ones but for brackets that open inside the last 12 hours it is for the same event but without prize cars on offer.  The late joining casual player can still play but cannot win a prize car.  
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great suggestions @RobGripes. I think options 1 and 2 make the most sense to me and sound like they would require very little or even no development work. I think Hutch's response here (or lack of one) will tell us whether they even care about this issue.
  • NemezNemez Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    At first glance option 2 looked nice but you what about not-so-late joiners? Due to e.g. work I might join an event after a day. If I join an existing one, I would be handicapped from the beginning since most of the others would have 200+ points already. I'll never have the chance to reach my 'appropriate' position based on my hand. 
  • justjukiejustjukie Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Nacho101 said:
    UncleGary said:
    I have no problem with late joining. Done it many times when my hand has been too poor to compete. Keeps the game interesting for everyone, and that's a good thing in my opinion. Never gotten a prize car from it myself, but have sometimes gotten t2 which would probably have been out of reach for me otherwise.

How does late joining keep the game interesting? So a game where u wait it out for 3 days to then throw a dice in last few minutes for a chance to win something is interesting?

There is so much about this game that is based on luck and the one element that is based on some strategy and gameplay is being threatened.

And I don’t agree that only whales have a shot at the prize cars. In fact I think that this late joining hurts those fringe players with an outside chance more than anyone.

Some good suggestions from @RobGripes. I think any one of these options could work, perhaps even combined with other measures.

We shouldn’t be able to win a prize car with a 10 minute effort or by playing only 5 tickets. This game is meant to be fun after all not just some huge lottery
    While I agree it is based on strategy to an extent that logic only applies in a BETTER trophy tiered system. I've spent 20$ dollars total in the 1.5+ years I've been with this game. There is no strat in the world that makes me compete with whales in prize car formats outside of late joining. And the best I've ever finished is tier 3 with late joining an actual final. I don't late join qualifiers or prelims because farming is better payoff. I'm sure farming finals would be better as well but I always hope for the prize car. 

All this talk about complaining about late joining due to strat or merit goes out the window until you are properly tiered versus people who MAY have a more equally leveled garage. Obviously there are ways to get around some of the trophy count but a tier 1 finish is what like 900 trophies so automatically in to the next tier and tier 2 finish is 300 or 400. Whales want to win so they won't intentionally drop count. 

I understand it is Hutchs game. They can model how they want and if late joining gets curved I'm sure I will just farm it until my garage can compete. I play the game cause I enjoy it. Hell my RNG is **** when it comes to packs but I still log in every 2.5 hrs and knock out my tickets and buy as I go. But to argue about skill when in these events when "skill" is directly related to how deep in your wallet you want to go is not far to the debate.
  • UncleGaryUncleGary Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Nacho101 said:
    How does late joining keep the game interesting? So a game where u wait it out for 3 days to then throw a dice in last few minutes for a chance to win something is interesting?

Yes it is, and here's why.

If I have a poor hand and I know I have no chance of winning anything, that makes the game uninteresting to me.
    If I have a tiny chance at winning through the late join lottery anyway, that keeps me interested.

I am not the least bit envious of people who win a car with less effort than me. That happens all the time anyway, because some people join tough groups and some join easy ones. Early joins can be quite the lottery too.

Also, it's a mobile phone game with a limited life span. People play it on the toilet. I dare say it should not be a point of major emotional and/or financial investment.
    UncleGary said:
     People play it on the toilet. 
    yes!  
  • ManUtdTobbeManUtdTobbe Member Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop making new brackets at X hours left and when they’re full the event is closed for entry, seems like the best and most obvious solution
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭
    justjukie said:

While I agree it is based on strategy to an extent that logic only applies in a BETTER trophy tiered system. I've spent 20$ dollars total in the 1.5+ years I've been with this game. There is no strat in the world that makes me compete with whales in prize car formats outside of late joining. And the best I've ever finished is tier 3 with late joining an actual final. I don't late join qualifiers or prelims because farming is better payoff. I'm sure farming finals would be better as well but I always hope for the prize car. 

All this talk about complaining about late joining due to strat or merit goes out the window until you are properly tiered versus people who MAY have a more equally leveled garage. Obviously there are ways to get around some of the trophy count but a tier 1 finish is what like 900 trophies so automatically in to the next tier and tier 2 finish is 300 or 400. Whales want to win so they won't intentionally drop count. 

I understand it is Hutchs game. They can model how they want and if late joining gets curved I'm sure I will just farm it until my garage can compete. I play the game cause I enjoy it. Hell my RNG is **** when it comes to packs but I still log in every 2.5 hrs and knock out my tickets and buy as I go. But to argue about skill when in these events when "skill" is directly related to how deep in your wallet you want to go is not far to the debate.
    UncleGary said:

If I have a poor hand and I know I have no chance of winning anything, that makes the game uninteresting to me.
    If I have a tiny chance at winning through the late join lottery anyway, that keeps me interested.

Im F2P and I've won a small number of major prize cars and I know other F2P that have likewise won prize cars without late joining. Sure I wont be competitive for T1 in most prize car events and I wont enter from day one, I will at least wait until first bracket finishes. Some of my brackets were easier than others thats for sure. But for me its enjoyable and a rewarding challenge to engage in gameplay and win something major rather than throw a last minute dice, I would rather give it a shot than sit out an event for a last minute lottery.

Don't get me wrong, Im not saying you shouldn't late join, I think most F2P players have late joined at some point. While its a viable option, I can understand why many of us would do it. Not to mention the potential payout is huge. But in my opinion its becoming too prevalent and is taking away from the game in general.

I understand why  some players feel that late joining is their only shot at it but I believe they do have a shot when the time is right. And on those occasions where we do have an outside shot, abolishing late joining would thin out the brackets slightly, thus increasing our odds ever so slightly.
  • AnzatoroAnzatoro Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    Ultimate said:
    As far as I’m concerned early join and hit a bracket full of whales is bad strategy however you want to spin it.

I also believe what most people term “weak” hands is hugely open to interpretation. A f2p player will almost never field a hand as strong as a p2w. That’s just down to the cards that are dealt to them. Maybe they have a hand of fully upgraded ultras. Now compared to a p2w’s hand loaded with legendaries and epics that’s rubbish. But the f2p probably spent months farming and hoarding, then spent those millions to build the best team that they could. Is that any less effort? Or honour? Even though they late joined to give them the best possible chance to win?

The gulf between f2p and p2w is huge, and the gap gets wider everytime a prize car event is run. If you want to fix late joining, then this disparity between the haves and have nots need to be addressed first. Which like a reflection on society in general will never happen.

So why feel bad about winning a prize car through late joining. Take it for what it is. A p2w doesn’t feel bad about dumping on you with a garage full of bought cars. Why should people feel bad about winning a prize car with a garage they worked hard to collect?

I just CANNOT agree more.

All the salty dudes should read this.
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with @Ultimate 's post. I very much am the F2P player he is talking about.

Unfortunately a P2W player will always have the upper hand, if it didnt work that way, no one would pay Hutch's wages and we wouldn't have a game. I accept this as part of the game and view it as an added challenge playing against the bigger players.

And I think @RobGripes and @LittleEnosBurdette have drawn attention to the fact we need to distinguish the 'late join' we are referring to. I agree the 'lottery late join' is something that should should not warrant a prize car.

Essentially I'm all for encouraging gameplay, however this is done. Encourage more players to join the brackets, offer some incentives to join earlier, discourage joining last minute and perhaps even increase the T1 prize pool. I'm mainly aiming my points at the tri series BTW.
  • Blue2moroBlue2moro Member Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something that is present in other games could be an option here.  That's to have a registration period of say 24-48 hours where all players register to enter an event.  Then Hutch know exactly how many players will be joining and can open just enough brackets for all registered players to join.  If brackets can then fill evenly everyone gets to enter and late joining lottery will be gone.  People could still late join in the last few hours with a strong hand and put together a run if that's their strategy, but it would stop those freak 1-0 prize cars being distributed.
  • AnzatoroAnzatoro Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited May 16
    Why nobody is mentioning the matchmaking?
    How about just cut trophy brackets and not just put 0 trophy players along with 50k trophy player?
    Why a player with 6k trophies getting matched with superwhales of 50k+ trophies?
    Why not make matchmaking brackets of (for example) 0-3000, 3001-6000, 6001-10000, 10001-20000, 20001-40000, 40000-to infinity?

How fair is it to you to "buy" your precious prize car over the corspes of low trophy count F2P players, why not try and do that on a bracket of your caliber?
  • ManUtdTobbeManUtdTobbe Member Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are trophy brackets in almost every event. If they had them in the finals too then most of the ”semi-whales” would stop spending at all or just quit the game.
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm not a whale and i have 40k trophy points.... i play the game since november 2017 and i'm f2p.... why will i play only with whales? the problem is this trophy system, they need to push this trophy and reward its... and late joining (i talk 5 minutes before the end) it's something to fight and here i read a lot of good ideas!! Hope Hutch read and do something
    Hutch_Robin said:   

This is the main reason days of the late joining lottery are numbered - because prize cars should be earned.
    At least this little aside is on topic  ;).  I get what you mean here but i don't think it is fair @Hutch_Robin for you to say to players who won prize cars by late joining they did not earn them.  They played by the rules and within an event structure which i assume you have something to do with the design of.  They recognised the legitimate opportunity, prepared and executed a successful plan.  Of course they earned their prize cars.

Perhaps you meant to say:  because prize cars should not be earned this way.