General Discussion

Question regarding ABS and TCS.

PlantedZebraPlantedZebra Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
Sorry if this question doesn't have connection with the game itself, because I'm asking about the real world conditions.

Not long ago, my teacher asked us a weird question. And I'm here to ask two questions about that. I'm asking here because I figure players here are car guys! right... ?

So. Question 1. Does ABS reduce your braking distance AT RAINY CONDITIONS?

Question 2. Does TCS have ANYTHING to do with Braking?

Answers

• N9_CycloneN9_Cyclone Member Posts: 36
    ABS is if the car thinks the, well car is about to loose control it'll brake extra hard for u
    also people have ABS off when racing hutch god damnit. also
    TCS is traction control witch is supposed to help u with keeping
    the car under control unfortunately i've never driven a car or at least a car with traction control
    and also again hutch racers have traction control OFF when driving so again
    why does Traction control or bloody ABS exist in the game? who the hell knows.
  • MettitiMettiti Member Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ABS is if the car thinks the, well car is about to loose control it'll brake extra hard for u
    the car under control unfortunately i've never driven a car or at least a car with traction control
    ABS ... Wait wut
    What ABS does is reduce braking pressure when the wheels lock up and then increase it again and so on....
    Threshold braking is ideal but ABS doesn't do that 
  • seanrpsseanrps Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    Mettiti said:
    ABS ... Wait wut
    What ABS does is reduce braking pressure when the wheels lock up and then increase it again and so on....
    Threshold braking is ideal but ABS doesn't do that 
    Agreed, you want to use 100% of the traction, and ABS just can't do that. However, ABS makes driving much more accessible but is less efficient over short distances (assuming a perfect driver).
  • Vona112Vona112 Member Posts: 24
    ABS is designed to keep the car under control while braking and nothing more. It keeps the car going straight while braking. With an average driver behind the wheel, it could reduce braking. Personally, nothing I own has ABS (well not working abs).  I tried keeping it on my Silverado until the first day it snowed. Fuse was pulled that day.   ABS increases stopping distance over a skilled driver. TCS shares wheel speed sensors with the ABS system, that’s about it.
  • TomTurboTomTurbo Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Search for a twisty, rainy track and compare a car like a Caterham with a similiar car that has those feats and you will find out.
    ABS helps keeping the car maneuverable (technically does what Mettiti mentioned) and can also reduce braking distance in WET conditions.

ABS doesn't keep the car driving straight on it's own, it gives you somehow steering control during braking.
    It's somewhat like you would manually release the brake a hundred times in seconds during braking to be able to steer/keep the wheels straight. 

• IntrovertDuckIntrovertDuck Member Posts: 11
    A basic TCS usually cuts the engine power off if the computer detects any slip from the wheels.
    An advanced TCS, which all modern cars currently using, will apply the brakes, manages power delivery to each axle or wheels, and so on that i dont understand :D
    Not to confuse with ESC/ESP, they are usually used in cornering to prevent understeer or oversteer.