General Discussion

Beta Phase 2 Discussion

Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 1,081 admin
This thread has been created for discussion of Beta Phase 2

Comments

• El_MutroEl_Mutro Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    I'm liking what I am seeing so far. Haven't had much time to play today, been traveling for work.
  • Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 1,081 admin
    Glad you like the update, there's a lot more to come.
    The more I am getting the chance to play this evening, I'm seeing a lot of new bugs I didn't see in th me 1st version. I've reported them in the threads on submitted them as well
  • LarryDLegendLarryDLegend Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    To be brutally honest the update SUCKS... the matchup system sucks... It's $200, $800, $1600 or at best $3200 then back to leaderboard and repeat... And repeat.... And repeat... I can understand that it was too generous at first but racing for such small amounts ( especially in light of upgrade costs ) is just plain boring. I really didn't care if I won or lost any of the races in my last 30 minute session.
    I will admit the mini oval track in Today's Tournament was kinda fun
  • StormyStormy Hutch Staff Posts: 70 Wrenchman
    Ovalmini? There was a fair bit of discussion about if we put it in but it was so different from everything else it seemed worth a punt to see what folk thought. Do you think the short tracks are better then the long?

We also added 10 new tracks, moved all the start lines and lit all the track's differently - it should make them all feel a bit different.
  • StormyStormy Hutch Staff Posts: 70 Wrenchman

To be brutally honest the update SUCKS... the matchup system sucks... It's $200, $800, $1600 or at best $3200 then back to leaderboard and repeat... And repeat.... And repeat... I can understand that it was too generous at first but racing for such small amounts ( especially in light of upgrade costs ) is just plain boring. I really didn't care if I won or lost any of the races in my last 30 minute session.

Once you have more events to choose from it should fix this as we can have events with big starting bets which you would join with. Our goal at the moment is to make sure people are matching with people as much as possible so we have less events with smaller buy ins which force our limited player base together. We will be working towards a new batch of users asap too which should really help!
    I am starting to agree with Larry about this whole AI betting thing. It is getting very frustrating trying to earn enough money to upgrade and buy multiple cars. You want us to test all parts of the game, but we can't because we now have no money to buy different cars and upgrade them because the AI's won't fork over the cash and very rarely am I running up against live players and if I do they, for the most part are doing the same because cash is at a premium right now due to horrible betting by the AI's. This need to be resolved and quickly. I have been stuck with the same car since all of my stuff got reset with phase 2 and I can't buy anymore or upgrade the second car that I have because the upgrades are too expensive for what I am getting in return from racing. I basically am only making 800-$1000 per race against an AI, because you have to run 3 races, if you are lucky to get that amount. It is starting to become a big waste of my time.
    Thankfully this is a beta test, because if this is the way the game is going to be when it is released, I wouldn't stick around too long.
    I hope you are right when more people start coming in, but so far I haven't seen any change in the betting. Looking at the leaderboard, the only one that has made any cash is WriterMary(aka Humkingbird), but everyone else is around $100k-$200k which is t anything and I have been doing a lot of AI racing to get to the point, so you can see, I've ran close to 200 races to get to where I am, which is crazy
  • hummingbirdhummingbird Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I am confused by some points that sell Mutro brings out. I would appreciate someone explaining or clarifying these statements. I was under the impression that during this phase of the Beta testing, there would be a change, a cap of $3,200.00 in the class c races. When I reached that amount, the rematch option sent me to the query leaderboard. I stopped trying to do rematches, because I was trying to respect what I thought was a new policy for phase 2. Is this not a new established policy? Is this simply a glitch in the programming of the AI drivers? Is this correct?
    How do you know if your rival is an AI driver? Being at the top of the leader board has given me the opportunity to work on improving my drifting skills rather than finishing with the best or fastest time. I have used this time to correct some of my earlier mistakes. The quality of my last race is my rival. It might sound corny to others, but the other racers are my inspiration, not my rivals.
    I only have 3 cars in my garage, and I only race the Mustang. It is at the top of its upgrades level, so there are no further improvements on my car, unless we get the pro packs. I care about the money, only to the extent of being able at some point to purchase a new car and/or buy upgrades; but IT IS NOT MY PRIME CONCERN. I am not a betting person, I don't have the betting mentality.
    If anyone thinks that I acquired position or the money by unfair means, please let me know; I will glad give up my position and money. I am an old lady of 68, soon to be 69, who subscribes to the principle, "It is unimportant, if you win or loose; what is important, is how you play the game."
    Please let me hear from you all.
    edited May 2016
    Hummingbird, I totally agree, that it is not about the betting, but about trying to better the game. As far as this being policy, a cap of $3200, I was not aware of that, nor was I trying to say that you acquired funds through unfair means. The bad part is, is that, this week has been very difficult in finding time to play because I have been on a work trip, that has unfortunately, taken up a lot of the time I would have spent testing.
    The sole reason for me to want the money is to buy and upgrade as many cars as I can to give important feedback about the way each one handles on different tracks and against the other models and hope that the feedback that is provided can be used to modify the game to make it so that it is competitive and fun to play for everyone. It is not about trying to get as much money as I can.
    It is a racing game, so, speed is one of the most important aspects of the game. Yes, drifting is part of the dynamics, but in the end a racing game all the same. I have come to understand the drifting as per how the game is written, and have been able to better my times because of that, although, practice tracks would still be nice. I have noticed that each track has its own drifting technique and once you understand it for each track, your times will get faster.
    No two tracks drift the same way. When I say that, I mean, the way you feather the throttle to keep the needle in the blue, not to mention how you swing the needle through the zone to get the best jump out of the turn.
    I would like to try different setups with the different cars and with the rate of return on races it is becoming increasingly difficult to give that feedback due to the lack of funds in my account and not being able to replenish them
    I am so very sorry that you have limited Beta testing time. I hope that soon changes. I follow and take to heart all your insight on cars and tracks. I am in awe of your expertise in these areas. I try to remember and apply every thing you say.
    You have just observed one of my serious flaws, I expect and play these games with a realistic approach and attitude. My grandchildren laugh at me and tell me that these are just games and not real. So I apologize for idiosyncratic thinking fell on you.
    I totally agree and understand the value money plays in upgrading and buying vehicles. I would like to do some of that myself. I think Hutch Ben said that soon B class cars would be available to purchase with gold. I have been hoarding the gold so I can get at least one when they are available.
    I have raced against you once or twice; you are a fierce and honorable opponent. You push me to be and do my very best.
    I will try to remember this is only a game and not to expect so much realism. I can't promise I will be able to do this consistently. But I certainly believe it is possible. Long ago when my kids were little, they tried to get me to play video games with them. I was awful, I could not play those games if my life depended on it. So I gave up and haven't played until recently, when my grandchildren downloaded MMX Racing on their tablets. They talked me into playing. After 30+ years of not be able or interested in playing these games, I miraculously gained skill; after a few games I was a total fan. I put it on my phone and have been playing it ever since.
    I can thank you enough for your candor in response to my confusion about the game rules. I learn so much from you and Larry about the cars and tracks. I am sure your insight is becoming increasingly invaluable to these Beta trials. I wish I could say the same about my inclusion in these Beta trials. I thought it was a some crazy mistake when I was asked if I wanted to participate in these trials. I was so excited about being accepted. I often wonder about my contribution in the Beta tests; I think I lack the necessary skills and expertise to be of any real help to the developers of this game. I thank you again for helping me to under things better.
    Hummingbird, unfortunately, I have recently accepted a new responsibility at work, which, for the next few months is going to require me to be on the road more than I am at home. Thankfully all of my children are older and I won't have to miss any of that.
    Thank you for the kind words about my skills, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but have played many games, of all types, over the years. When I was accepted to do the beta testing, like you, was very excited. I've never actually had the opportunity to partake in anything like this before. I saw it as an opportunity to help mold a game into something that could be great with the right inputs. There were many games that I have played where I thought I would like, but, in the end, let me down. I did not want that to happen here. I really enjoy playing the game and trying to figure out the way each track needs to be evaluated and understood is very important, insert need for practice track reference here(again), lol.
    In reading some of your responses to questions by the developers, I think that, and this is just my opinion, and I hope this doesn't offend you, that you are looking at this as more of a game of a drifting challenge, rather than a racing challenge. I do not believe the spirit of the game was meant to be a drifting game, they just added the element of drift for a "Hollywood" effect, so I have been told a few times, as a way to make the tracks challenging and a way, so to speak of trying to level the playing field during the race between different cars
    All of the inputs when it comes to drift, with the judging and excessive braking, and all other things associated with drifting are all valid and great points! I think what they are trying to do is capture all of those elements with the blue line while in the corners.
    Please do not stop giving inputs, as some of your points are valid, for example, changing the weather conditions and having it affect cars differently. I think that would be awesome and was a great suggestion.
    I'll save you with this little hint about Drifting in the corners........ Quick burst are better than long ones and never go past the middle of the blue line..........oh one last one, you don't always need to have a ten in the corners, so a little grey isn't always bad....
    El_Mutro, when you say "never go past the middle of the blue side" you are referring to staying on the right half correct?
    edited May 2016
    That's for me to know and you to figure out, lol. Can't give away all my secrets
    You are so sweet to say those kind words. I definitely agree with you, I am definitely thinking this game is about drifting, not racing. Despite your encouragement, kind sir, I am not sure I belong in this Beta test. You are very astute and insightful; you would have shortly suggest the various weather elements yourself. You my friend have the correct perspective, with the proper balance of concern for helping to make this an amazing game for everyone. I am delighted you are finally talking with me, even if I might withdraw from these Beta trials for the benefit of the games.
  • Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 1,081 admin
    Guys, thanks for sticking with things as we adjust some of the many variables. You have helped us out immeasurably. We have learnt a great deal during the last 4 weeks, particularly on the economy side.

When it comes to this subject of betting, it certainly has become too grindy, a far divergence from the easy farming the AI bots were previously offering.
    On the one hand, the big bets allowed for some rapid upgrading and car purchase, on the other hand it enables a player to quickly consume all of the fairly limited content that the game has to offer right now in Beta 2. Ideally we need to find a balance.

The development team here have been putting in another hard push during the last 10 days to hopefully offer some more fixes and more content in the near future.
    You have a very dedicated team of designers, engineers, and graphics experts.
    Hummingbird, please don't withdraw. As I mentioned earlier and as Demorphic has mentioned, everyone's input has added great value to the progression of this game so far. It would be a shame to lose you and your inputs this far into the testing.
    I hope you reconsider your withdrawal. Sorry for not starting a conversation earlier, as I mentioned I have had very little time to sit down and write other than some quick thoughts here and there when I get the chance, not to mention, it is a pain trying to type that much using a cell phone, lol.
    Tell me about it; I type everything with one finger. That takes a long time. I am not sure of anything right now, my friend just not certain of the value of my input, when I don't have the correct perspective on the game. Believe me, you are not the first and you are certainly not the only one who has told me that I am expecting realism to be prominently programmed into a game. It is a game, a racing game. One part of me understands and accepts this, another part of my intellect rejects that kind of thinking. I am a lousy gamer, but I don't want to be a lousy Beta tester. I don't know why I overlooked this when I offered you the STI, but I have a BRZ that you can also have to replace the cars that you lost. This car is also a gift.
    If there was a way to gift cars I would give everyone the car of their choice thanks to a coding mistake where I got 30k gold instead of $30k
    Not upgraded of course :)
    Dear Larry these are both fully upgraded. Can these cars be sold to a specific person?
    Hummingbird thank you for the offer, but I am unaware of a way to gift cars
    Tell me this, I know we can sell cars; if I sell you those two cars to replace some of your, will you accept the gift? I will try to sell them for $.50 each, $1.00 total if I can. If not, than a $1.00 for each car. I will send you a message just before I put them on sale. Will this work for you?
    I think the selling option is just to sell for gold unless they changed it. I don't think it is an option for someone else to buy them. Thanks for the offer the though
    That is right? I forgot, can you spare 2 gold pieces?
    I don't think selling them to me is an option. If you click on the dollar sign to sell your car, it will tell you how much you will get from the game for your car, not for someone else to buy it, thank you though
    This is my last communication for tonight. You have a full day of work tomorrow and I just accepted a new writing assignment. It is due in 24 hours. i asked Demorphic about selling cars to a specific person; let's find out what he has to say before we give up on this idea. goodnight, i hope you have a restful night. I will talk to you tomorrow..
    Mary
    Mary, I know of no way to sell a car to a person... When you sell a car you get one half of the original purchase price in gold.
    Fiddlesticks, I was really hoping that I could thank El Mutro for his kindness, insight, patience as he responded to my questions, comments erroneous focus for these Beta tests, and this amazing game. I wanted to find some way to show my gratitude for his generous help, in apractical way. I know that he lost everything, when phase 2 began. I nievly thought I could make this happen, from sheer will and determination. I was mistaken again. Thank you dear LarryDLegend for talking the time to point out my faulty thing, it is certainly appreciated.
    Mary