General Discussion

The Saving Trophies Debate

mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, here is a topic mentioned here and there but never discussed in a dedicated topic. Is there really, really an advantage to sacrifice events to save trophies? The argument is players will not enter/win event xxxxx to avoid boosting trophy counts. So to avoid having trophy count boosted to where they can't win event rewards, their purposely not winning event rewards. Isn't that the same thing?

The reasoning of keeping a trophy count low can be for major events, but that doesn't overly work as all major prize car events seem to be a free for all not based on trophy count or RQ. Now some one-off high reward events (like major gold/cash) may depend on trophy count, but is it worth not playing the game, all for a chance to win a major event every 3 months or so?

Maybe there is part of this I'm missing.

Comments

  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it makes farming easier as one could crush their opponents for three star wins, then purposely losing to avoid leveling up. It can be a Grinders Dream.
  • dunowedunowe Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    I ve thought about this subject too, i do enter every event, but i deliberately work towards tier 5 so to not gain trophies points,  or even loose some points.
    But is it worth it? I don t know any more...

    it indeed helps in The Grind, loose the first 10 races and only then race with your best team to get 3 star win after 3 star win, but you get bored rapidly...
    (And dont forget the daily plastic!)

    it would def help if there was an incentive to get to a high trophy count, because at the moment there is none, while there might be a disadvantage (but unsure)
    For the moment i play on the safe side and try to stay below 6k

    some clarification from Hutch on this topic would def help!
  • th1318th1318 Member Posts: 31
    I think it’s a combination of that and events not being that interesting all of the time. Why enter or try and level
    up cars for an event where you have a VERY SMALL chance at a CF or an ok chance at ceramic if you already have a good hand. 

    Its a waste of precious resources that I won’t get back anything close to what I put in. Sure there’s a *chance* I might get a bugatti from a ceramic but I’d rather save my coins and gold for a bigger event with better rewards, which frustratingly only occurs what seems like once every three weeks... And it’s not fun to enter these events only to farm 1 star from people with better hands. 
  • RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about this, but after about a week I got bored of not trying and just started to compete again. 

    In my opinion it's not worth it. We play to win amd collect cars. U won't do that by not entering. U can always smarf an event amd stay relatively level.

    I have jumped from 2500 to 4700 trophies since the trophy update, and I don't regret it. I am reasonably confident that when the players are separated properly then Hutch will reevaluate the tiers and adjust to make the game playeable for higher trophy players. 
  • th1318th1318 Member Posts: 31
    RobGripes said:
    I thought about this, but after about a week I got bored of not trying and just started to compete again. 

    In my opinion it's not worth it. We play to win amd collect cars. U won't do that by not entering. U can always smarf an event amd stay relatively level.

    I have jumped from 2500 to 4700 trophies since the trophy update, and I don't regret it. I am reasonably confident that when the players are separated properly then Hutch will reevaluate the tiers and adjust to make the game playeable for higher trophy players. 
    Looks like a lot of players have lost interest waiting for them to make those adjustments tho
  • rei348rei348 Member Posts: 500 ✭✭✭
    I only try to compete in events where I have chances to win. In all the others I smurf to make cash and built up my garage. 
    I just won the event "Super Rare: Dead Heat", and I'm happy with that.

    It's true, after sometimes is getting boring waiting for the "right" event, but if you want to remain f2p you have no other choice, and still you need some lucky pull (I have no legendaries but the 12C for example, after 8 months playing...) ...
    Raise trophies to high level will not go in parallel with levelling up your garage, so you will soon get stuck with no chance to even get tier2 on events.
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I am over 10,000 trophies I can confirm things haven't got another tougher or easier since I broke 6000 trophies. I honestly believe saving trophies has no benefit (unless you want to win the daily event)
  • Bucks73Bucks73 Member Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    I believe the issue with Trophy counts and how they effect playing depends on the server. 

    Im in Australia so I’m on the Asia server. Once I passed 10k then every day I play the same 20-75k trophy players every day. But I think that is because there just isn’t a high enough volume of 20k trophy players to separate them out like there would be in other regions. That’s just my theory.

    So trophy count means nothing to me, I was stuffed once I passed 10k and I reeeeeeeeally doubt the tiers here will ever be fixed because of that volume of players issue. I asked the question on another thread and never saw a reply so....yeah. 

    I still get the tier 2 prizes or even tier 1 when it’s a top 8-10 so I’m competitive with the next tier of player but I’ll never spend as much as the tile guys do because of my gold cost vs theirs and Apple ripping off iOS users.

    I dont mind @Bugatti idea of scrap trophies all together unless you win. 
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1
    dunowe said:
    I ve thought about this subject too, i do enter every event, but i deliberately work towards tier 5 so to not gain trophies points,  or even loose some points.
    But is it worth it? I don t know any more...

    it indeed helps in The Grind, loose the first 10 races and only then race with your best team to get 3 star win after 3 star win, but you get bored rapidly...
    (And dont forget the daily plastic!)

    it would def help if there was an incentive to get to a high trophy count, because at the moment there is none, while there might be a disadvantage (but unsure)
    For the moment i play on the safe side and try to stay below 6k

    some clarification from Hutch on this topic would def help!
    @dunowe maybe this here helps...

    it's from the TBT 70's Whiteout Event Thread: http://forums.hutchgames.com/discussion/5188/tbt-70-s-whiteout-event/p1

    I'm not sure if I understand the full meaning and consequences of that. do you? Is it possible that a high trophy score also can give you advantages?

    EDIT: first print screen replaced with a better one
    Post edited by hillclimber on
  • prexprex Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Unlike Finals, Qualifiers and Prelims are bracketed by RQ like normal events, so it might be worth to have low trophies there. 

    (...) The event is then divided into different leaderboards based on trophy count. (...)
    Seems like he was referring to normal events rather than manufacturer events.
  • ZotZeZotZe Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday with 11925 trophies i had a European daily bracket with 8 People in...
    Today with over 12k trophies i have a European daily bracket with 18 People in.

    I wonder if there are only so less People in high trophy count. Seems most others stop playing TD before they ever reach those regions with the actual trophy count. You must really win every event to get up in high regions. 


  • LSMSCLSMSC Member Posts: 12
    I'm bouncing around 3k-5k on the european server and the amount of trophies only seem to affect my daily bracket. As in more trophies --> stronger daily event enemies. For the other events it feels the same every time...
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1
    ZotZe said:
    Yesterday with 11925 trophies i had a European daily bracket with 8 People in...
    Today with over 12k trophies i have a European daily bracket with 18 People in.

    I wonder if there are only so less People in high trophy count. Seems most others stop playing TD before they ever reach those regions with the actual trophy count. You must really win every event to get up in high regions. 


    Europe 741.4 million citizen. Even if only one in a million make it into 8k trophies, we shouldn't see everyday the same people ;)

    Again, in the Whiteout event: I'm in a bracket with 12 players (still), I started the event 5min. after it opened. Then on the other side mauro07 is in a full bracket. He's a little above 10k trophies i'm slightly below, both europeen server.
  • 43MK443MK4 Member Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many top drives players have reached 10000 trophies.
  • TGPDTGPD Member Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to win anything

  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TGPD said:
    I don't want to win anything

    I'm 500 trophies behind you. so what do you do with a event like the current Anchorage event?
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s zero difference between 9950 and 10000+ trophies. Same faces. Same races. 
  • bullet_splatterbullet_splatter Member Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭
    mikes said:
    There’s zero difference between 9950 and 10000+ trophies. Same faces. Same races. 
    This. I started to ease off when I was approaching 10k trophies out of fear. When I finally did cross that threshold I noticed absolutely no difference. 
  • CharlieRCharlieR Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    mikes said:
    There’s zero difference between 9950 and 10000+ trophies. Same faces. Same races. 
    This. I started to ease off when I was approaching 10k trophies out of fear. When I finally did cross that threshold I noticed absolutely no difference. 
    difference is that in daily you get 50 people max and all with monster hands. So i as i understand 10k trophys is the unbearable limit when people are quiting - Hutch has dug a hole here for themselfs with this unwillingness to give away cars :( 
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually had less people in my daily’s between 8-10K then I do now above 10K. 
Sign In or Register to comment.