Another final, another timezone catastrophy

RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 6 in General Discussion
Hutch, players in Asia are getting incredibly frustrated at the timezone they sit in. It's not that as a region we are all disadvantaged and having to wake up during the night to finish events, it's that most of the region is, and then some lucky few who live in New Zealand, then Australia, then Japan and Korea have massive advantages over the rest of the region.

I have already witnessed a number of P2W players quitting the game over timezone issues (amongst other frustrations), and more are threatening to leave. Most have stopped the spending, if not entirely, at least mostly. 

I am glad to see @Hutch_Tim engage in the Carousel thread, would you like to chime in here? Are you guys planning to do ANYTHING about the event end-times? I don't see why the same players should be handicapped in such a fundamental way, day after day, in every single event.

I am here to urge you to enter a discussion with us all about this, asian and non-asian players alike.

FYI, the spread of end-times goes from 11am all the way back to 2.30am (yes, we have half-hour time zone areas too). My timezone is 5am for most of the year, and I drop a tier or two consistently. Where I should be T1, I am T2. When it is an everyone-can-beat-everyone type of event I will drop to T4 while sleeping. It is incredibly frustrating after nearly 3 years.

Comments

• mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we have server for zone, why not finish event for every server? So every server has a different time when finish the event
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember tracksets being seen earlier for some being an issue Hutch mentioned ages ago.

Would you players feel that any one region has an advantage in seeing tracksets earlier than the rest? 

It might mean leaked tracksets as early as 12 hours before another region starts, allowing other regions to start fusing before an event started.

Personally i don't think it matters. For most players the cars required for a 2-day event is usually already maxed. For 3-day events, there is already enough time to fuse up any car you need during the event. Seeing as it is the last couple hours, and particularly the last 5 minutes that matters, early in the event being slightly weaker does not matter.

You couldn't max an S during an event without gold, but let's be real. If you're the kind of player who will max or nearly max a car for one event you're probably strong enough to win the damn prize already.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In an industry predicted to be worth more than 174 billion U.S. dollars by 2021, the global gaming market has been dominated by the Asia Pacific region for years. In 2019, it was calculated that revenue from the games market in the Asia Pacific region alone amounted to 72.2 billion U.S. dollars. In fact, this was more than double the revenue of the North American gaming market.

Share of games market revenue worldwide in 2020, by region

• AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play european server but can feel the pain of asian players. In fact i wouldnt even think about playing a game where i need to be awake at night.
    About leaked tracks... i dont see a big advantage in having fuses done a few hours earlier. In three day finals i often start fusing my epics after i joined the event, we all know its mostly the last hours that matter, before its more or less farming and looking for your possible position later.
  • AslanVAslanV Posts: 758 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I think teir already address the concern during a Q&A. Main concern was the leak of events.

Honestly, go to Facebook 12 hours before a'd you have the leak.

And even people in Russia, the event end deep in the night.

For me, it's 14;00 and it's perfect. (used to 23:00)

Maybe a system where some events start in advance for Asian players and late for American players, and some start in advance for Americans andate for Asian? (like a day after) so it is not always the same players discovering the trackset! Hell, we can even rotate American, Asian and European server.
    RobGripes said:
    Agreed. a rotation is fine, then at least it is fair. 

At the moment tracks are leaked, but I don't see how that is such a big deal. So what if people see the tracks a few hours early? Is that more important to remain a secret for a few hours, rather than the enjoyment + mental and physical health of the entire Asian playerbase?

Where was that Q&A?

Or just gaining players in Asian Market...

Q&A -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BojC6NUqG00
  • AdxREAdxRE Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    I mean @RobGripes couldn’t have worded it any better. Countless wife’s, parents, dogs and neighbours have been awaken by the inevitable Top Drives alarm clock at the middle of the night, so that Asian Timezone players can cling on to the prize tier that their hands deserve.

Countless suggestions were raised without any harm to US/EU timezone players - Rotational Event end time (Worked well in Silver Screen events) and Server based events (with individual end times) are amount them and are relatively easy to implement.

Personally I don’t see a problem with players knowing the tracksets early - I mean a fuse to a Legendary takes 8-16 hours...and the trackset are mostly leaked through other platforms up to 24 hours before the event start time anyways.

I seriously hope this can be looked at @[email protected]_Tim and @[email protected]_Dmitri, along with the revised Clubs Season End time (from Mid-night to Mid-evening) a few months ago which mean Asia timezone players lose 3.5 hours of club time every other day, but that is an separate issue altogether.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7
    AdxRE said:
    ...and the trackset are mostly leaked through other platforms up to 24 hours before the event start time anyways.
    When have tracksets ever been leaked?  I think you mean criteria?
  • AdxREAdxRE Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    AdxRE said:
    ...and the trackset are mostly leaked through other platforms up to 24 hours before the event start time anyways.
    When have tracksets ever been leaked?  I think you mean criteria?
    Yes that, requirements and tier prizes 
    I'm not sure that the tracksets have been leaked, maybe ADXRE means the car criteria requirements, RQ limit etc. 

To be honest, we can generally guess the types of tunes the cars will need ahead of time, based on the prizes awarded in the prelims. it's easy to take cars to 666 ahead of time and finish the car off during day 1 of the finals. 

If tracksets were leaked 12 hours early, it is the lesser of two evils. Giving players a healthy environment to play would be preferable and I think more financially rewarding because what is the point in buying packs, or upgrading cars if your hand is in with a chance, but that chance is eroded due to you not willing to spoil your sleep. It's Monday morning after a final. I am a zombie for the whole day and so I've stopped trying for finals most of the time. I'm not the only one. Someone just missed out on the prizecar because they didn't wake up in time to defend. Their end time is 2.30am. Needless to say he is furious.

I would accept rotating end times so that every region has it fairly. Hutch seems to be unwilling to rotate end times for regions, and so we have a fixed end time. That end time is terribly bad for most Asians. On top of that, certain areas of the Oceanic region have a HUGE advantage of being able to play and finish the event during daylight hours. 

Now that players are fixed to their regions, leaked tracksets are the only reason I can see that they're unwilling to have staggered event times. I am not mincing my words here, but I truly believe it is disgraceful that Hutch doesn't fix this issue.

@Hutch_Robin and @Hutch_Tim have both voiced an opinion on the carousel thread discussing collusion and I really hope they come and discuss this issue promptly. 

AdxRE said:
    I mean @RobGripes couldn’t have worded it any better. Countless wife’s, parents, dogs and neighbours have been awaken by the inevitable Top Drives alarm clock at the middle of the night, so that Asian Timezone players can cling on to the prize tier that their hands deserve.

Countless suggestions were raised without any harm to US/EU timezone players - Rotational Event end time (Worked well in Silver Screen events) and Server based events (with individual end times) are amount them and are relatively easy to implement.

Personally I don’t see a problem with players knowing the tracksets early - I mean a fuse to a Legendary takes 8-16 hours...and the trackset are mostly leaked through other platforms up to 24 hours before the event start time anyways.

I seriously hope this can be looked at @[email protected]_Tim and @[email protected]_Dmitri, along with the revised Clubs Season End time (from Mid-night to Mid-evening) a few months ago which mean Asia timezone players lose 3.5 hours of club time every other day, but that is an separate issue altogether.
    I mean club is now bothering US players you know. Like the 4 hours without new event start at 22h for me ^^

But i don't care, the last 4 hours are the worst
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Robin @Hutch_Tim @Hutch_Dmitri

Please don't ignore us this time. Can we please address this problem?
    I see Robin had posted last night on the carousel thread... 
  • winterbonewinterbone Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I'd like to point out that call of the wild events are no longer staggered like for silver screen events, i'm not gonna wake up at 4am everyday for this
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8
    I don't get why the COTW events aren't staggered.  That was a nice change for that event series and I'm sure some of you loved it.
    I'd like to point out that call of the wild events are no longer staggered like for silver screen events, i'm not gonna wake up at 4am everyday for this

Me neither. Luckily I can get the jags without it, but the T1/2 packs will be harder to get.

What's your igname?
  • winterbonewinterbone Posts: 39 ✭✭
    RobGripes said:

Me neither. Luckily I can get the jags without it, but the T1/2 packs will be harder to get.

What's your igname?
    My ig name is gunawan widodo,
    Just lost what should be easy T2 at the menagerie event due to being human, i'm already a zombie on mondays 🙂
  • TD47059TD47059 Posts: 14
    Firstly, regional servers don't work - I am constantly in the American and European brackets and I'm from Australia.

7am end times suck, you get raced against for hours and then have no time to catch back up. I was awake from 1am to 7am fighting to get the Lancia (and watching football). I can't do that for every event, it was ridiculous.
    TD47059 said:
    Firstly, regional servers don't work - I am constantly in the American and European brackets and I'm from Australia.

7am end times suck, you get raced against for hours and then have no time to catch back up. I was awake from 1am to 7am fighting to get the Lancia (and watching football). I can't do that for every event, it was ridiculous.

Is this still happening? I thought it was fixed. 

• Bucks73Bucks73 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Robin @Hutch_Tim @Hutch_Dmitri Still hoping to hear from you guys on this please.
    [crickets]
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest frustration from the affected players (and do correct me if I’m wrong, I’m in US so I don’t claim to know firsthand) is the radio silence on Hutch’s end of things. In general, 2020 has been steps in the right direction in my eyes in terms of Hutch’s interactions with the playerbase. Road maps for future updates (and greater update frequency by request of the playerbase), @Hutch_Dimitri getting thrown into the fire pit that is the community manager position and taking heat from the forum in stride, seeing @Hutch_Tim and @Hutch_Robin a little more active, etc. This has been a long-time issue, and while I definitely don’t pay as much attention to the correspondence regarding it as I’m not directly affected by it, it seems that there’s never really been a clear cut response from Hutch about it. I think those affected would be put at ease to some extent if Hutch was open about this issue. If it hasn’t been changed yet because there’s a limitation server-side or something, just tell us. I think Robin remembers the generally overwhelmingly positive feedback on his briefing posts where he shared what was going on in terms of progress towards the next update, what was being worked on, etc. I think something like that in regards to this issue would go a long way. What about starting a Trello(?) board (I think that’s what they’re called) where the community can view an official list of issues/bugs and their status towards being fixed?

I have it easy with events ending for me at 5PM. Personally I can’t imagine having to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to play tickets. All you guys that are affected and actively doing so, I applaud you. I likely wouldn’t have stuck with this game if I had to sacrifice my sleep schedule for it, let alone have spent money on it. As mentioned above, the rotating end times for the silver screen events were well received. Why not continue to give that a try? If it’s a matter of people knowing the requirements beforehand, why not just announce them officially ahead of time so everyone finds out early together? That would eliminate any potential unfair advantage due to one time zone being ahead of another.
    edited July 9
    Good point... Why not just announce them officially? Fair for everyone.

I don't understand Hutch. Why do they seem to hate Asia so much? Is it Covid? Is it our looks, or language? 

We're hit hard on everything in this game and when we want to enter a discussion we don't even get a response. I am sick of it.
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9
    I once proposed a possible solution here:
    I understand that it involves quite some dev time (an interface to communicate event requirements and tracksets before the event itself starts), but I'm sure it would be worthwhile, as it would bring a lot of asian players to the game.
    Come to think of it, I really hate the fact that you only see the tracksets as you play your first tickets. I mean we have Ninja to solve that problem for us (really appreciate the work he's doing), but without him we'd probably ruin our first set of ghost hands, that would take a few other tickets to correct. This element of luck is really unnecessary and dumb. Announcing requirements and tracksets before the event starts would also eliminate this from the game.
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they don't use the forum to announce challenge for nature tag (there is a secret event next week as silver screen?)... and you wait some answer for this? too much expectations
    i hope they can succeed with this problem for a lot of players... i'm in EU and i'm good with this finish at 11pm (no working and i have some time for the game) but i can only imagine this big problem... and maybe the solution for 3 or 2 events end time can be the solution... i think if we know restriction and track set a day before is not an issue, maybe they can sell this packs a day before and all people can be prepared for this events... i don't find a problem
    I do remember your post @Ozzman. I see also that Hutch never responded to that either. I think it is quite obvious that Hutch does not value the Asian market. I think it is utterly short-sighted.

• MSRZ23MSRZ23 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    @RobGripes thanks for raking this issue up again. I had lost hope since everytime we ask this question, it is ignored till it gets buried somewhere. 
    I was really dissapointed with call of the wild since the rotated events are the only time i can try for t2 and get a ceramic. Rest of the events I just play my last tickets and go to sleep hoping to keep my place in T2 (Usually end up T3). Its really frustrating.
    I cant win prize cars because im not able to spend money.. atleast I should get a fair chance to win a ceramic in normal events.