General Discussion

More Server Errors?

Comments

• lonelyterroristlonelyterrorist Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Right well I'm pissed off Hutch. Second final now I can't play. Cannot play because of your server errors. Do you just stop them in a pathetic attempt to stop late joining?

Can't even log on to the game. Just stuck here. 

• NemezNemez Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Oh give us a break 
  • MrpiratepeteMrpiratepete Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭
    Missed the whole finals, wanted to late join because I couldn't compete with my hand. This server errors are just a joke by now. And of course I will get the blame from Hutch, because late joining is against the spirit of the game.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldnt play my last races, cant login anymore on my mainaccount. 2nd account could reenter the game so my wifi is ok. Amateur hour again at Top Drives. Hutch, maybe you balance your servers instead of game economy.
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    always the same.. server errors and errors and errors... bye hutch!!! very good!!
  • RWareRWare Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    I am now completely locked out of the game. I can't even check my winnings
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if this is what hutch is gonna do to prevent late entry, I have to say bravo. 

can't login through Wi-Fi or obile data. 
    edited August 4
    Hutch_Tim said:
    Yeah, something is really not going well here.

What's happening is that one of the third parties we rely on for the whole server/client interaction to work suddenly became a lot less reliable. It's not just us either - as far as we can see other games (and apps) that use that service are having a lot of issues this week too.

We're investigating if there's a better way we can use that service (less calls/minute, smaller calls, something like that - I'm not a server engineer) that may make it less likely to fall over on us. Best-case, the service finds whatever's causing this and fix it themselves. Worst case, we have to switch to someone else.

Until then all we can is put it back up when it falls over, which we appreciate is really not great

@Hutch_Tim not even an apology. But giving the blame to someone else. This is now the second Finale ruined by your faulty servers. Im looking forward to all the messages in the next few days, where we get the blame from the support for it.
  • lonelyterroristlonelyterrorist Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Pic of one of the errors. Made me redo this race but gave me a free ticket? Beat both times... 
  • LSMSCLSMSC Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited August 4
    Couldn't enter the finals too. 
  • tichoblintichoblin Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no comment from hutch?
  • bertmcfishbertmcfish Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5
    Nothing from my support ticket. Spent 100 gold, couldn’t play the tickets, lost top 80 place :(
    Post edited by bertmcfish on
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 603 admin
    So, here we go again, right? Obviously we're sorry this happened, and it's not some kind of dastardly scheme to disincentivise late joining. After this happened a lot last year we implemented a policy of specifically pre-emptively scaling servers up in advance of an event ending, and that was evidently enough for a long time, but not now.

If you're interested in what happened:
    I spoke to one of our server engineers about it. It turns out there are multiple separate services handled behind the scenes (events, user profiles, and more). For some reason that's not yet clear, it wasn't the events service (which we pre-emptively scale up) that got overloaded, but two of the others.

What are we doing about it:
    As a quick fix we've now set these to pre-emptively scale up automatically at the end of events as well. We'll see how far that gets us.

What happens next:
    We'll see if the above fix pans out. But meanwhile as mentioned elsewhere, fixing 'late joining' one way or another seems like it will definitely help and is very high on the list.

Speaking personally:
    As a player, I've now changed my approach for Finals events where I'm in the running for T1. Previously I would try to make sure my points peaked at almost exactly the end-time, but that has proven risky with server errors (or even just the server response slowing down) and I have a lot of 9th-place results to show for it even in perfect conditions. So recently I've instead been pushing to build a maximum points advantage by 5 minutes before the end, and have tickets/cars-with-5-races-left ready in case I need to do any more. I'm actually wondering if this is a better strategy in any case, to rise above the inevitable final-minute scrap. YMMV.

• AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But what if you push too early, get the error while others still can race? Thats how you get 9th place finishes.
    While adopting is necessary its just a poor exchange for the fun of real racing till the last second.
    For me this should be on top of the priority list, as it heavily influences the outcome of major events were people sink a lot of money in.
    Hutch_Tim said:
    What happens next:
    We'll see if the above fix pans out. But meanwhile as mentioned elsewhere, fixing 'late joining' one way or another seems like it will definitely help and is very high on the list.
    Thanks for the answer!

But do you really think late joining is the big problem for the server errors?

Let's brainstorm for a bit:
    All the late joiner enter the finals sooner, but are still playing in the last 5min. Meaning you would still have the same high peak of playing players. Because at the end of the event the majority of players still all race at the same time.
    Even if latejoining is stopped someway, the situation will stay the same as the last minutes of the finals are those where the decision is made.

Or am I missing something?
  • MoogMoog Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:

What happens next:

Hi @Hutch_Tim, thanks for the comments as always.
    I know a number of suggestions were talked about, are you able to share how you're planning to address late joining yet?

• OzzmanOzzman Member Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:
    What happens next:
    Thanks for the answer!

But do you really think late joining is the big problem for the server errors?

Let's brainstorm for a bit:
    All the late joiner enter the finals sooner, but are still playing in the last 5min. Meaning you would still have the same high peak of playing players. Because at the end of the event the majority of players still all race at the same time.
    Even if latejoining is stopped someway, the situation will stay the same as the last minutes of the finals are those where the decision is made.

Or am I missing something?
    Yeah, the question is simply this: does people joining in masses in the last 5 minutes cause an extra load for the servers? Because obviously stopping late joining would not mean less active players at the end of events.
  • BasilBasil Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:
    So, here we go again, right? Obviously we're sorry this happened, and it's not some kind of dastardly scheme to disincentivise late joining. After this happened a lot last year we implemented a policy of specifically pre-emptively scaling servers up in advance of an event ending, and that was evidently enough for a long time, but not now.

I spoke to one of our server engineers about it. It turns out there are multiple separate services handled behind the scenes (events, user profiles, and more). For some reason that's not yet clear, it wasn't the events service (which we pre-emptively scale up) that got overloaded, but two of the others.

As a quick fix we've now set these to pre-emptively scale up automatically at the end of events as well. We'll see how far that gets us.

What happens next:

Speaking personally:
    As a player, I've now changed my approach for Finals events where I'm in the running for T1. Previously I would try to make sure my points peaked at almost exactly the end-time, but that has proven risky with server errors (or even just the server response slowing down) and I have a lot of 9th-place results to show for it even in perfect conditions. So recently I've instead been pushing to build a maximum points advantage by 5 minutes before the end, and have tickets/cars-with-5-races-left ready in case I need to do any more. I'm actually wondering if this is a better strategy in any case, to rise above the inevitable final-minute scrap. YMMV.

Wait a minute !!!!! Does this mean that you 'stole' my 8th place on the event just to find a new strategic way of playing the game??? What an insult !!!! Me trying the best I can to reach T1 and here is Hutch-Tim just squerling in my bracket finding new tactics and stealing my well deserved 8th place. Just kidding.
    Concerning your answer: You can correct me when I'm worng but didn't you last time talked about considering to change to another server company when this would happen again. Does this mean that the current company give you more server space? Sorry, I'm not an IT guy so I see this as 'server space' :-).
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    players ask something again late joining but Hutch didn't do nothing; no rules against late entry but support not compansate your errors, Hutch... so the problem is every time that you want only our money, Hutch... but you don't want to find a solution for problems... and this forum wanna kill late entry but if Hutch not... so we are the bad guys and you are the good guy... and why play 3 days when with 5 minutes i can win gold tier?  and this thing that you don't compensate your player.. bah, others games send rewards if they have errors or servers maintenance!!!
  • TD42792TD42792 Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8
    Hutch_Tim said:

What happens next:

Speaking personally:

What’s your internal policy on conflicts of interest and insider dealing?
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 603 admin
    Ozzman said:
    Hutch_Tim said:
    Speaking personally:

I don’t even know where to begin with this. There are so many practical issues with that strategy, not least that it fails to recognise the very nature of this game. Quite often that late flurry is how you get INTO T1, if your hand is a little marginal. It’s not just about trying to hold onto T1 if you’re already in it.

But the biggest issue here is the massive subliminal “screw you” message inherent in the notion that we should learn to play differently to allow for the fact that the servers are likely to prove not fit for purpose at the end of every major event. It’s up there with failing to tackle late joining and then making up an “internal policy” to penalise the late joining that you still allow, and we aren’t even told what the definition of “late” is under that “policy”. 

The game is currently broken, and you’re basically telling us to work around the flaws so that you don’t have to prioritise fixing them. 
    I get what you say, and agree, but to be fair I think Tim is just trying to be helpful here, as a fellow player who is also affected by these problems. He's not saying "we don't give a c***, just live with it", he's just trying to share his experience as an actual player, while it gets fixed. I appreciate it. Actually I appreciate each one of Tim's posts, even when I don't agree with it. It's good to have a Hutch member who is, in a way, also one of us.
    Interesting, I did wonder if people would take my 'as a player' comment negatively and I debated including it at all! 

As I outlined, we've got a proposed immediate fix (scaling up the other services), and a proposed mid-term fix (making late-joining less beneficial). I thought it would be interesting to share what I've been trying as a player in the mean time. Even once end-of-event server problems disappear again, I'm going to test out this strategy to see how it works out though, as I'm genuinely curious.

TD42792 said:
    What’s your internal policy on conflicts of interest and insider dealing?
    Yeah, this comes up whenever I talk about how I've won some prize cars in the past. Here's the policy:
    - I believe it's essential that some people at Hutch play the game exactly like real players, with their own money, to understand the player experience best
    - Inevitably we occasionally have advanced knowledge on events or releases that are coming up. We have to take the policy to never allow that to influence our in-game decisions, obviously.

I understand your position too, but with my slightly cynical hat on I just can’t accept that Tim is actually one of us at all. He might play the game, but he’s also paid to promote, and therefore defend, the game. His comment in the weekly challenge thread about farming the challenge being “inefficient and weird” sums up that difference for me. He makes some of the right noises, and I’m sure means things sincerely, but he simply isn’t offering a remotely objective viewpoint, and doesn’t get what it means to be an F2P player.

I’d probably have more respect for him if he just came out and admitted that Hutch doesn’t really care about the F2P experience, and is focussed on maximising revenue from CF sales, and so our requests and suggestions are right at the bottom of the priority list. 
    You're absolutely correct that I can't truly be "one of you" from my position. This is as close as I can get!

I did call farming the challenge "inefficient and weird", I still continue to farm it though, even now! (On that subject, I maintain that it is inefficient - 2 prize board cards every 3 hours - and weird, in that you have to try to win by 200-249 points exactly, which isn't something the game encourages you to try anywhere else).

In the economy thread, I did come out and say that we want to support Top Drives for as long as possible, and in practice that means having it make money. It is definitely not true that we don't care about the F2P experience though, it's beneficial to the game as a whole if as many players continue to play it as possible. That's why I've been checking the data on all sorts of players in after the prize board rebalance. I know it's hard to believe if you were a truly dedicated smarfer, but very few players were, and the net result is that F2P players are making more cash/day after the rebalance, and are sticking with the game longer than they used to.

On the original topic of this thread, just to notify you by the way: players in Asia were unable to play Clubs from around 09.45am GMT. This was fixed as of 11.05am GMT.

... today's no-wall-of-text post experiment........ failed.