Do Trophies influence the match making?

TNThomasTNThomas Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
I always hear different things on this subject, so I want to understand it. Does the amount of trophies a person has influence the match making? If so, how many trophies is the limit to enter a new ‘class’ of players?
«1

Comments

  • mikesmikes Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The threshold is based per event and constantly changing. In most events I find people with under 1000 trophies. I have 27000+
  • vladimir1989vladimir1989 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    But this makes no sense, I mean if I was to match only people of my own level, we would barely fill up a bracket.
  • HvalenHvalen Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I went over 6000 trophies after the 787b finals and I definitely feel the difference in dailies, although it
    may be too early to tell
  • luckylumpiluckylumpi Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    I would understand when there is no separation regarding the trophy points in the RQ45 events (events for all players to enter like the finals etc. with huge brackets), but at least the other 2 day events should also have a kind of trophy brackets. It is not nice to fight against 70k trophy hands when you have under 5k trophy points. 

    Maybe Hutch is afraid that some brackets might not be filled enough if they start to split it there? 

    Does anyone know the splitting points for dailies (0-5999 / 6000-?? / ?? - ???)
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would understand when there is no separation regarding the trophy points in the RQ45 events (events for all players to enter like the finals etc. with huge brackets), but at least the other 2 day events should also have a kind of trophy brackets. It is not nice to fight against 70k trophy hands when you have under 5k trophy points. 

    Maybe Hutch is afraid that some brackets might not be filled enough if they start to split it there? 

    Does anyone know the splitting points for dailies (0-5999 / 6000-?? / ?? - ???)
    disagree... i'm  f2p with 22k, only the last porsche as event car and it's impossbile for me compete in dailies ..... with trophy system in all events rq140, i can't play at all, because it will be impossible compete and win something!!
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the problem for player as me, it's gold... smarf, smurf etc you do a lot of money but gold only win the events and i don't spend gold for tickets to run from 100th to silver tier.... and it's not easy in EU server do this with a hand as others!! EU server have always 100 players in dailies, few times you mayfind a bracket with 20/30 but only if all brackets are full!!
  • MoogMoog Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 5.5k and UK based. I'm currently seeing people with 1k and 10k in my bracket, although it is unusual.
    On dailies, near the low end of the bracket 80-90th, everyone has at least three legendary cars. Not that I've mentioned it before, but I spend money, have played since Jan and have 1 legendary other than the 12C. 

    Trophies are not an indicator of how powerful your garage is. I came 37th in the recent 787b event and had to fight for that, I got the same amount of trophies as the guy who came 9th and was competitively fighting for the prize car. 

  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times i see guys with 0 trophies in my brackets with pretty decent hands, so i guess its another bug. 
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greddy said:
    Many times i see guys with 0 trophies in my brackets with pretty decent hands, so i guess its another bug. 
    can Hutch overview this trophy sistem? is it bugged? Why a lot of people have 0 trophy?
  • Steph81Steph81 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:
    the problem for player as me, it's gold... smarf, smurf etc you do a lot of money but gold only win the events and i don't spend gold for tickets to run from 100th to silver tier.... and it's not easy in EU server do this with a hand as others!! EU server have always 100 players in dailies, few times you mayfind a bracket with 20/30 but only if all brackets are full!!
    if you are unhappy with your brackets, use VPN and try it in the US or Asian bracket.... maybe you'll find your happiness there
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moog said:
    I'm 5.5k and UK based. I'm currently seeing people with 1k and 10k in my bracket, although it is unusual.
    On dailies, near the low end of the bracket 80-90th, everyone has at least three legendary cars. Not that I've mentioned it before, but I spend money, have played since Jan and have 1 legendary other than the 12C. 

    Trophies are not an indicator of how powerful your garage is. I came 37th in the recent 787b event and had to fight for that, I got the same amount of trophies as the guy who came 9th and was competitively fighting for the prize car. 

    As you say, trophy count is no indicator of garage strength, that’s partly what’s wrong with the “matchmaking” system. There are people with far superior garages to me with trophy counts tens of thousands lower. I said in another thread the other day, it all comes down to the count not being reset when the new system started, major fail. 
  • TNThomasTNThomas Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim Thanks a lot for the explanation! When I started, I started with 2000 trophies (or 2500 maybe, not sure). Would it be an idea to substract the amount of trophies people started on? I guess you can see when people started and how many trophies they would have gotten when starting then. This would make it fair for players that didn’t start at 0 trophies.
  • UltimateUltimate Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim

    So are you saying the top 10 percent will always be matched in the same general group? I mean I’m sitting on about 10k trophies and I’ve been versing people with 4 times my trophies and garage for months and months, does that mean I will forever be stuck on the low end of the top end?

    What I mean is there really isn’t much of an incentive for a player like myself to do well in any event especially if I’m forever being matched up with the big players. Not that I don’t try my hardest
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @Hutch_Tim do you think that we will see in future a system of reward for this trophy system? maybe gold, money, slots or Ceramic/cf for every step as rq's levels? And something as weekly/monthly leaderboard based on trophy for single player and Nation/Clubs (maybe you take best 100 position for every country, it's an idea for future) and some rewards for this leaderboards?
  • JasonOngJasonOng Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    Ultimate said:
    @Hutch_Tim

    So are you saying the top 10 percent will always be matched in the same general group? I mean I’m sitting on about 10k trophies and I’ve been versing people with 4 times my trophies and garage for months and months, does that mean I will forever be stuck on the low end of the top end?

    What I mean is there really isn’t much of an incentive for a player like myself to do well in any event especially if I’m forever being matched up with the big players. Not that I don’t try my hardest
    This is my speculation, I think the top 10% are fighting in the same brackets, so if u've been losing more and more while the others are winning, they will gain more trophies and u'll fall out the top 10%. 
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hutch_Tim said:
    Ok, we haven't talked about this for a while!

    How Trophies currently work
    New players start at 0 trophies
    Ranking higher in events earns you more trophies
    Ranking very low in events sometimes subtracts trophies
    Each 500 trophies is a 'floor' you can't go below (to prevent smurfing)

    In some events (most notably Tri-series Finals), trophies are not used for matchmaking.
    In all other events, trophies are used in matchmaking. The groupings used vary from event to event.
    To give you a rough idea of where players are at, among RQ140+ players, if you have over 8k trophies you are in the top 10%.

    Why do it that way?
    This means we match based on roughly how many times you've won in the past, rather than some measure of garage strength. Now why would we want to do that?

    Top Drives is very unusual among games that use matchmaking because events test such different aspects of your garage. You could have a top-tier French collection and a bottom-tier US collection. 

    With that in mind, here's what then happens:
    - If we matchmake on event-specific garage strength (e.g. in an event that requires 5x US, we matchmake the players based on how good their US hand is), then there is no advantage to developing a specialised garage, and the only way to do better in an event is to improve your garage during that event. So for example, if you won a Legendary US car outside of any US event, that just means you'll likely face tougher opponents in the next US event. This would also be an extremely complex system, as (presumably) it should also take into account the track sets used and matchmake garage strength based on cars that are useful for those tracks.

    - If we matchmake on some overall measure of garage strength, we have a more diluted version of the same problem. Every time you get lucky in a pack and get a Legendary, that just means you'll now face on average harder opponents... in every event. The worst part about this is it encourages garage manipulation - you would probably pick a few specialisms (maybe just US, JP and 80's) and then sell all Legendary and Epic cars that aren't in those areas, as they're doing nothing but give you harder opponents.

    - If we matchmake based on how much you've won in the past (like we do now), every new good car you win helps you to win more, and if you're always losing, the people you're losing to should gain trophies and eventually stop matching against you.

    The top end is the hardest part with any matchmaking system. Whoever is lowest in the top bracket will on average have a hard time. That's why we vary the trophy bands from event to event, so there isn't as much of a 'bracket of death' that you eventually enter and can never win.

    I said in another thread the other day, it all comes down to the count not being reset when the new system started, major fail. 
    The fact we didn't reset all trophies meant that smurfers got to keep their advantage for a while.

    If we had reset trophies, it would have taken significantly longer for all the players with the best garages to rise out of the lower trophy brackets, creating a really bad time for the majority of the player base who would be facing them.

    On balance, we preferred the former to the latter.
    What you’re saying is the complete opposite of what I’m seeing regarding the matchmaking, I don’t think you’re correct, apart from the daily I’m being placed in brackets with all kinds of trophy counts in all events. As I said above, in my uncommon event there are people with less than 100 trophies. 
    As far as not resetting the trophy count goes, why couldn’t you tighten up the trophy brackets? You’ve obviously got the facility to do that,  0-2500, 2501-5000 etc, it wouldn’t take long for players to move up in brackets after being successful, thus allowing other players to have success before they move up, just seems a no brainer to me. 
    Post edited by LittleEnosBurdette on
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JasonOng said:
    Ultimate said:
    @Hutch_Tim

    So are you saying the top 10 percent will always be matched in the same general group? I mean I’m sitting on about 10k trophies and I’ve been versing people with 4 times my trophies and garage for months and months, does that mean I will forever be stuck on the low end of the top end?

    What I mean is there really isn’t much of an incentive for a player like myself to do well in any event especially if I’m forever being matched up with the big players. Not that I don’t try my hardest
    This is my speculation, I think the top 10% are fighting in the same brackets, so if u've been losing more and more while the others are winning, they will gain more trophies and u'll fall out the top 10%. 
    That’s not what happens. 
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a guy with 10 trophies beating me in the uncommon event. There was someone with 0 trophies and 4 Bugatti’s the other week, how do you even do that nowadays. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Smurf everything, except Dailies, and never pass 500 pts, so your negative accumulations can bring you back down to 0.
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    There's a guy with 10 trophies beating me in the uncommon event. There was someone with 0 trophies and 4 Bugatti’s the other week, how do you even do that nowadays. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Smurf everything, except Dailies, and never pass 500 pts, so your negative accumulations can bring you back down to 0.
    Yeh, it’s possible I suppose, but why would you? Did the Bugatti guy wait a year for that event to happen to get his ceramic? Takes all sorts I suppose. 
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    So why players with 0 - 5000 trophies are matchmaking with me with 14000 on daily basis on all types of events, except dailies which i smurf anyway? 

    Also, i was smurfing a lot keeping my trophies count at minimum, finishing tier 5 every event without chance for tier 1-2, but i was still matchmaking guys with 30k+ trophies and i had 2-3k at the time.
    So i stopped taking care of trophy count because there is no point. Better to get that aluminum then -10 trophies.

  • hillclimberhillclimber Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why do you guys care so much about those small events? if you can't get tier 1 or 2 just smarf it and you get more than one ceramic. the main thing is that the prize car events stay a open.
Sign In or Register to comment.