Top Drives PL 8.0 Patch Notes - French Renaissance

Bonjour! The highly anticipated 8.0 update is here - it’s time for the French Renaissance!

  • 174 new cars!

  • New mountain environment!

  • New packs!

  • ‘Quality of life’ fixes

  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

  • Car corrections

  • RQ/rarity rebalance

In case you missed the news, here’s what’s not in 8.0, but will be coming next:

  • Club Events

On y va!

We weren’t kidding about a French Renaissance: we’re nearly doubling the number of French cars in the game with 83 new models, introducing Peugeot but also bolstering Renault, DS, Citroën, and, oh, just adding a few more Bugattis while we’re at it. Ooh la la!

We’re also adding 91 US cars, with Pontiac making its Top Drives debut alongside player-nominated additions from Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Plymouth, GMC, Cadillac, and Chevrolet.

That brings our total to 1,244 cars which we think is, and we say this modestly, pretty tough to beat.

The new mountain environment introduces six new tracks in a range of environmental conditions for you to master.

We’re also introducing some more specific offer packs that will make it easier to find the cars you’re looking for, but you’ll have to wait to see what those are.

For ‘Quality of Life’, when an event has two requirements, selecting both will now show only your cars that match both. If that got you excited, just wait until you get this: when a race is finished, we now display the final race times for each car on the results screen. Mais oui!

We fixed various bugs, but in most cases you won’t notice any difference - just slightly fewer crashes. Le singe est dans l'arbre!

As noted in a separate post, we’ve also implemented some car corrections, and rebalanced RQ and rarity based on everything that has changed since the last balance: corrections, the physics fixes from 7.5 and 7.6, and new cars.

Welcome to the French Renaissance, and bonne chance!

Comments

  • JackyQuJackyQu Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Thank You!!!!!!!!
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim are the rq changes to the swift rally and fiat rally right? Putting them both to rq18 "the same as the datsun" seems crazy.
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    @Hutch_Tim - Can we get a complete sheet of the cars that moved in rarity, including ones that did not cross rarity lines? (i.e. moving Rare > Super Rare)  Thanks!
    To clarify, I think @HeissRod is asking for the complete list of RQ changes that has been provided alongside the rarity changes in previous updates
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed that Zl1 1LE was moved to 28 RQ.    ANother one A car with S rq
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim it would be really nice if you communicate when the physics are changed. And now they are, but you told us that nothing changed. 
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 865 admin
    TimBut said:
    @Hutch_Tim it would be really nice if you communicate when the physics are changed. And now they are, but you told us that nothing changed. 
    What physics are you claiming have changed? Your post doesn't include any details.
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TimBut said:
    @Hutch_Tim it would be really nice if you communicate when the physics are changed. And now they are, but you told us that nothing changed. 
    What physics are you claiming have changed? Your post doesn't include any details.
    Yeah, sorry. 
    Last example. 
    Tuesday Daily event. 
    Standing slalom
    Pl 7.5 
    Mazda Furai 969 DRAW vs Mazda Furai 699
    PL 8.0
    Mazda Furai 969 WIN vs Mazda Furai 699
    Also Audi rs6 avant 699 in 7.5 WIN on wet twisty road, not it LOSE to 969. 

    I can provide new screenshots, but Im not sure that I have old ones. 
  • flop404flop404 Posts: 5
    What physics are you claiming have changed? Your post doesn't include any details.
    Apart from some minor changes (0.03 seconds here and there on some cars and tracks), I've noticed some major changes on some specifics cars on dirt hillclimb

    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 7.6 0:33.03
    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 8.0 0:30.53
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 7.6 0:39.50
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 8.0 0:37.63
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim any investigation results? 
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    flop404 said:
    What physics are you claiming have changed? Your post doesn't include any details.
    Apart from some minor changes (0.03 seconds here and there on some cars and tracks), I've noticed some major changes on some specifics cars on dirt hillclimb

    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 7.6 0:33.03
    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 8.0 0:30.53
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 7.6 0:39.50
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 8.0 0:37.63

    I found this to be the case too. Quite a large number of small changes to race times. Usually 0.03 difference from my recorded times for pl7.6, and pl8.0
  • flop404flop404 Posts: 5
    I also have some changes on the '92 Cadillac Eldorado, on twisty roads (rain) and karting (rain), of about 1 second
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimBut said:
    TimBut said:
    @Hutch_Tim it would be really nice if you communicate when the physics are changed. And now they are, but you told us that nothing changed. 
    What physics are you claiming have changed? Your post doesn't include any details.
    Yeah, sorry. 
    Last example. 
    Tuesday Daily event. 
    Standing slalom
    Pl 7.5 
    Mazda Furai 969 DRAW vs Mazda Furai 699
    PL 8.0
    Mazda Furai 969 WIN vs Mazda Furai 699
    Also Audi rs6 avant 699 in 7.5 WIN on wet twisty road, not it LOSE to 969. 

    I can provide new screenshots, but Im not sure that I have old ones. 
    @Hutch_Tim

    Have you been able to investigate this?   I really think that this is top priority to investigate, since its an unexpected and uknown physics changes. 
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim
    @Hutch_Robin

    Kindly reminder 
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I found serious hole in TD code which lets me add unlimited gold&cash to my account. 

    PM for details. 
  • hillclimberhillclimber Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    hey @TimBut, just wanted to let you know, you're not the only one who would like to get an answer in this matter.

  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey @TimBut, just wanted to let you know, you're not the only one who would like to get an answer in this matter.

    No one cares I guess. 


  • hillclimberhillclimber Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    TimBut said:
    hey @TimBut, just wanted to let you know, you're not the only one who would like to get an answer in this matter.

    No one cares I guess. 


    don't worry, I think Hutch is just very busy atm with the Team Mode update. After that the communication will become better again for sure 🤞
    Post edited by hillclimber on
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Posts: 645 admin
    So, no physics changes were made.

    I have seen this in the past where no physics changes are made, but results changed by 0.03s - which, if you haven't guessed, is essentially the smallest unit of time in Top Drives. When we add new cars and make corrections, we re-generate all the times for all cars on all tracks;  my guess is that something causes occasional rounding-level deviations from the previous time it was run.

    This might be quite tricky to fix - we'll see. More generally it also relates to what I'm now considering a balancing issue, which is that different tunes don't perform differently enough to each other (as well as not being intuitive). It's possible that if we changed that, these small 0.03s changes wouldn't alter which tune wins/ties, which still wouldn't be entirely satisfactory, but would be a bit better.

    If you see a change of more than 0.03s, that's stranger and more of a worry. Speaking of bigger changes... 
    flop404 said:

    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 7.6 0:33.03
    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 8.0 0:30.53
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 7.6 0:39.50
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 8.0 0:37.63
    ... I wasn't actually able to verify these though. The 8.0 times I found matched the times you listed for 7.6, both on the server and when I tried it out myself in-game in Germany Bavaria 3. Where do you see the times of 30.53 and 37.63?
  • TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it might be just 0,03s, but 969 mazda furai now wins on slalom, before it tied with 699.

    also rs6 avant 969 now wins on wet twisty road, before 699 won. 


  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimBut said:
    it might be just 0,03s, but 969 mazda furai now wins on slalom, before it tied with 699.

    also rs6 avant 969 now wins on wet twisty road, before 699 won. 


    Maybe it was always supposed to win, to a very small margin; .01 or .02 seconds.  Since the lowest differential can only be .03 seconds, it lumped it in as a tie.  Now that something has caused the times to be re-rounded, that has increased just enough to no longer be a tie.  Just a possible explanation, as I'm sitting here brainstorming?
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    HeissRod said:
    TimBut said:
    it might be just 0,03s, but 969 mazda furai now wins on slalom, before it tied with 699.

    also rs6 avant 969 now wins on wet twisty road, before 699 won. 


    Maybe it was always supposed to win, to a very small margin; .01 or .02 seconds.  Since the lowest differential can only be .03 seconds, it lumped it in as a tie.  Now that something has caused the times to be re-rounded, that has increased just enough to no longer be a tie.  Just a possible explanation, as I'm sitting here brainstorming?



    I have been running some times in campaign and found a lot of times to have changed. 

    Most frequently the changes are small, 0.03-0.06 seconds.

    For twisty Road at Ultra Rare and below the times can be 0.50 seconds different. 

    Aside from how annoying it is to have to re-run times, it is rather concerning that Hutch doesn't think there has been any physics changes and yet clearly there are. The twisty road times aren't a small rounding error.
    Post edited by RobGripes on
  • flop404flop404 Posts: 5
    Hutch_Tim said:
    So, no physics changes were made.

    I have seen this in the past where no physics changes are made, but results changed by 0.03s - which, if you haven't guessed, is essentially the smallest unit of time in Top Drives. When we add new cars and make corrections, we re-generate all the times for all cars on all tracks;  my guess is that something causes occasional rounding-level deviations from the previous time it was run.

    This might be quite tricky to fix - we'll see. More generally it also relates to what I'm now considering a balancing issue, which is that different tunes don't perform differently enough to each other (as well as not being intuitive). It's possible that if we changed that, these small 0.03s changes wouldn't alter which tune wins/ties, which still wouldn't be entirely satisfactory, but would be a bit better.

    If you see a change of more than 0.03s, that's stranger and more of a worry. Speaking of bigger changes... 
    flop404 said:

    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 7.6 0:33.03
    Mercedes 280 GE 969 @Dirt HillClimb, 8.0 0:30.53
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 7.6 0:39.50
    '70 Range Rover [email protected] HillClimb, 8.0 0:37.63
    ... I wasn't actually able to verify these though. The 8.0 times I found matched the times you listed for 7.6, both on the server and when I tried it out myself in-game in Germany Bavaria 3. Where do you see the times of 30.53 and 37.63?
    Actually, they went back to the expected times. Either I did a mistake (I wouldn't put that past me, even though I try to be careful) or there has been a server-side update ; these times were right after the update and were definitively wrong (as in, "incoherent"), but aren't there anymore. 
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Posts: 645 admin
    RobGripes said:
    HeissRod said:
    TimBut said:
    it might be just 0,03s, but 969 mazda furai now wins on slalom, before it tied with 699.

    also rs6 avant 969 now wins on wet twisty road, before 699 won. 


    Maybe it was always supposed to win, to a very small margin; .01 or .02 seconds.  Since the lowest differential can only be .03 seconds, it lumped it in as a tie.  Now that something has caused the times to be re-rounded, that has increased just enough to no longer be a tie.  Just a possible explanation, as I'm sitting here brainstorming?



    I have been running some times in campaign and found a lot of times to have changed. 

    Most frequently the changes are small, 0.03-0.06 seconds.

    For twisty Road at Ultra Rare and below the times can be 0.50 seconds different. 

    Aside from how annoying it is to have to re-run times, it is rather concerning that Hutch doesn't think there has been any physics changes and yet clearly there are. The twisty road times aren't a small rounding error.
    Just coming back to this now - please do give me those examples of cases that are 0.5s different, as that is definitely not expected.
This discussion has been closed.