General Discussion

Late join thread1000

Comments

• rei348rei348 Member Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭
    kaje73 said:
    Ultimate said:
    rei348 said:
    I don't feel late join as a problem... For f2p is a small chance to win a prize car, for p2w players doesn't make any difference, they simply join the event since beginning.
    As f2p if you win with late join it may change your game. So far I won only the porsche carrera with a lucky , almost useless... 
    Small note about trophies: I'm slowly going up (currently 9500), I gave up considering those in my game. They are too easy to get and too hard to lower compared to the rewards. As an example, yesterday I "won" 125 trophies for tier1 in prize camaro event and tier3 in qualifiers. Rewards? 3 C food and gold. This rewards will increase my garage strenght? no, not even "equivalent" to 10-20 trophies, and I got 125. If I'll drop to bottom in the next 13 events (-10 each) I'd be able to remove them, losing all the spirit of racing for 3 weeks or so...

From observation, as a median, events that are trophy limited generally start at 6k, sometimes 3k, very rarely 0. 8k not often and it made the qualifier ridiculously hard for f2p above that limit, not just the fact all the big players were squashed into 2 little brackets, but there was no chance other brackets opening (for AS).

Anyhow got off the point a bit there...

What I’m trying to say is, if you’re 9k+ now, you’ve passed the point of no return, and dropping a meagre 120 trophies over 12 events is hard slogging for zero gain. You might as well keep climbing now and reside as an equal amongst your fellow plankton friends.
    Agreed. I passed 6k a while ago (now ~17k) and find it very difficult to compete in prize car events. As a f2p I have zero fuses in my legendaries. Where I can compete is the lower quality events as I’ve focused on building a broad garage at UR and below. So that’s where I’ve set my expectations. Smurf the daily; compete/smurf regular events (depending on how the event suits my garage); try and get lucky in the tougher events (eg current prelims I’m bouncing between t2 and t3 due to lack of legendary fuses). 
    Same here. I managed to put 4 fuses in my legendaries, one each into GT90, 12C, 911 gt3 and 917 (all weight fuses, obviously). I approach the game in the same way now...
    Anyway, my point is I don't care too much about late joins... I sometimes try my luck, but it's not something that deeply affect the game... Whales are whales, planktons are planktons (I really like this definition :smiley:)... 
  • BasilBasil Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    To avoid late joiners, why don't Hutch stop every bracket at 300 and the last day fill all the 'open' brackets with late joiners. That will teach them :-). I'm just saying 300 but I'm sure Hutch can see what is the best amount.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basil said:
    To avoid late joiners, why don't Hutch stop every bracket at 300 and the last day fill all the 'open' brackets with late joiners. That will teach them :-). I'm just saying 300 but I'm sure Hutch can see what is the best amount.
    This would lead to situations where people play for days to hold their position and then get bashed by ticketspending latejoiners.
    Closing the brackets a few hours before event end would be another possibility to stop the prizecar tombola.
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basil said:
    This would lead to situations where people play for days to hold their position and then get bashed by ticketspending latejoiners.
    Closing the brackets a few hours before event end would be another possibility to stop the prizecar tombola.
    Don't be so negative on Basil's best comment so far.
    To your argumentation: If you're swimming in open water you can always get attacked from below. Or in other words, I don't see a big issue in that scenario with the late joining whales. There are not too many of them and they are part of the equation anyway, meaning they are supposed to get T1 while the guy at the edge isn't.
    @hillclimber , there is no negativity in my post, i just see different points on the topic.
    I would be frustrated if i joined an event early and get a whole new competition in the last hours.
    @hillclimber , there is no negativity in my post, i just see different points on the topic.
    I would be frustrated if i joined an event early and get a whole new competition in the last hours.

Hi Andreas,

I have this every day! It seems that some players ait for the last hour to bom the event with gold to get on top. So, for that point I don't see a difference with 'late joiners'.

And I did not take your post as negative. I think hillclimber is sarcastic about my posts.

all good, its just still too early for sarcasm here lol.
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarcasm is what happens every time hutch gives us only 2 events to play. (can't play the Cosmopolitan Contest, I have to late join  :D )

What about this idea: You are able to swap bracket once in an event (to get Hutch interested; let's say you have to pay 999 gold). Let me explain:

I'm Always an early joiner as I can't wait to race the events. In some events I have over 300 points but still can't make it in T1.

When I read the strategy of late joiners I was wandering if it is an idea that , when you see that you can't get to T1, you can 'buy' your way out of the bracket to join a new one. Of course you will take your points with you so that you don't have to start from scratch.

I believe that late joiners will start earlier as the swappers maybe will wait untill the end to swap and in this way the late joiners will never get to the +300 points.

I want to make it only once as I don't want it to be 'swap untill you are sure of T1'.

And it is at your own risk. It might be that you will end up in an even harder bracket :-).

The advantage is also that the people who stay in their bracket will gain 1 place every time a swapper leaves the bracket. In that way racers get more chance to get to T2 (or another T).

• LEGENDNADALEGENDNADA Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭
    what about extending the bracket capacity from 500 to 5000 and exdtending the prizes to 1-80 tier one and so on? A good idea for late joining issue but would be a massacre 
    That would give out far too many prize cars though. 

500 = top 8 
    5000 = top 80 
    Same prize cars given if there is 10 brackets opened with a cap of 500 

what about extending the bracket capacity from 500 to 5000 and exdtending the prizes to 1-80 tier one and so on? A good idea for late joining issue but would be a massacre 
    that's what I suggested 5 years ago. Tim thinks this would lead to too big jumps in ranks and be for that reason confusing.
    It worth a shot maybe trying it in one event with low prize car to test it and increasing the tickets time and gold and the time of the event 5 days maybe?

• Blue2moroBlue2moro Member Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly, I only ever late joined finals a few times and 1 CF event because I was away for a couple days. Now every event is late join. 
  • bantel_catbantel_cat Member Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what strategy have people had the most success with?
    Obviously, it depends on the strength of your hand.

If your hand is utterly craptastic then a last-second attempt is best and hope you get a brand new bracket.

If you have a strong hand then your window is wider and 3 hours, one hour, 30 mins, 10 mins out could all work.

Average hand? Not sure...

Thoughts?

If your hand is utterly craptastic then a last-second attempt is best and hope you get a brand new bracket.

If you have a strong hand then your window is wider and 3 hours, one hour, 30 mins, 10 mins out could all work.

Thoughts?

My awful hand will join before 2:30mins of the end. would be happy with tier 2 or 3
  • bantel_catbantel_cat Member Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be mine

Might try a 10 minutes job, or maybe 45 mins? Or maybe 5 mins... lol
    This will be mine

5min x 10 tickets probably will get you tier 1 if you are lucky, try it
  • bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Member Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7

Thoughts?
    Like you say it depends on the hand. I generally wait until the Sunday now anyway regardless of my hand. If I feel it has a chance of holding up then I will enter 5.5 hours before the end, play ten tickets straight away regardless, then play the next 5 when they refresh. Then if I am close enough I will play the next refresh 10 minutes before the end and then buy tickets if I have to.

I have not done last 5 minutes since the P1 although there are times I perhaps should have. The uncertainty of the bracket and not having the chance to get yourself higher is what stops me doing this usually. 
  • TD42792TD42792 Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts?
    Like you say it depends on the hand. I generally wait until the Sunday now anyway regardless of my hand. If I feel it has a chance of holding up then I will enter 5.5 hours before the end, play ten tickets straight away regardless, then play the next 5 when they refresh. Then if I am close enough I will play the next refresh 10 minutes before the end and then buy tickets if I have to.

I have not done last 5 minutes since the P1 although there are times I perhaps should have. The uncertainty of the bracket and not having the chance to get yourself higher is what stops me doing this usually. 
    Yeah, T-5 is a lottery
  • David_FookDavid_Fook Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be mine

Tricky, id go earlier personally, that’s a half-decent hand. Anything under 15 is a lottery. Land as #499 and you won’t be catching up to the top.
  • lonelyterroristlonelyterrorist Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    This will be my hand. Joining with 15 seconds to go.
    Can anyone post a worse best hand? 

• LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Member Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be my hand. Joining with 15 seconds to go.
    Can anyone post a worse best hand? 

I’ll be going at a similar time, please avoid me. 
  • AnzatoroAnzatoro Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    TD01055 said:
    This will be mine

Tricky, id go earlier personally, that’s a half-decent hand. Anything under 15 is a lottery. Land as #499 and you won’t be catching up to the top.
    I dont think its possible to land #499 after the first race, however anything more than #100 will be tough to catch up for tier1 in 5 minutes (or nearly impossible) unless people give you wins.
  • tichoblintichoblin Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latejoining with this
  • ManUtdTobbeManUtdTobbe Member Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, late joining is a much bigger "this isn't how the game is meant to play" issue then smurfing…. MUCH...
  • bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Member Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7
    Anzatoro said:
    TD01055 said:
    This will be mine

I dont think its possible to land #499 after the first race, however anything more than #100 will be tough to catch up for tier1 in 5 minutes (or nearly impossible) unless people give you wins.
    David meant being the 499th (out of 500) to join. Not that you would immediately be in 499th place. 

Late joining so much better than playing the game as it should be that there's a thread for it lol. But hutch is worried about smurfing which doesn't hurt anyone

Maybe the ticket spam at the end by all the late joiners is not something they see as a bad thing from their perspective, with gold being spent....
  • DabigpDabigp Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    Latejoining with this 2:30 min
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy hell is anyone not joining in the last minutes?
    And yeah, I'm waiting until T-3m too this time.
  • Huskic69Huskic69 Member Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latejoined with this and got t2
  • tichoblintichoblin Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Placed 4 with this (13min)