General Discussion

918 Spyder Owner Club Final [Event]

Comments

• O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Porsche 911 GT2 isn't a ****-tier Porsche like the two Panameras, RQ27 Turbo and the Targa 4S, but it is pretty much the worst moderately competitive Legendary Porsche.

I don't think we should be getting an RQ30 to play for – that's unfair on people who aren't in the owner's club. But I do think it could be something more enticing for what is essentially a battle of the whales. An RQ29 GT3 or one of the RQ29 Porsche SUVs for example.

I don't have a chance either way. This stupid game hasn't given me a good Epic or Legendary pull from either of the last two releases so my FR garage is awful. However I just can't see anyone looking at these prizes and going "wow, this is worth time and effort".
  • bantel_catbantel_cat Member Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but last time, the minimum prize was a Ceramic and Super Rare. The lowest tier this time is a Ceramic and an Ultra Rare.

But yes, a smaller percentage of players may earn a Carbon Fiber in this event (as these events will likely have a few more people than last time's), but more of them will earn an Epic. In this instance, I varied it with a better car instead of a better pack.
    We all know it is CFs that make the TD world go around because they are so bloody hard to get in any meaningful quantity without spending big bucks.
    So it is that, that makes this particularly galling, yeah yeah I am so entitled.

I'm having to sell SR now because I never have enough UR to upgrade (or feed)... But that's another story 

Not really bothered by the prize cars though a good epic like green eyed monster, baby blue or even RSR would have been nice.
  • grandvachegrandvache Member Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I'm getting at @HeissRod if they know the event isn't going to fill why structure it around 100 players and cause all this angst.  

If they know brackets are going to top out at 25 then build them like that and announce them like that. If 60% are going to get a food epic and a CF or better then all of a sudden that becomes ok, not great, not exciting but perfectly fine.

If they don't get beyond 10 players and 40% are going to get 5CFs then happy days.

We'll know on Sunday if this is a signalling problem over anything else, I really hope it is.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Member Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I'm getting at @HeissRod if they know the event isn't going to fill why structure it around 100 players and cause all this angst. 
    The people complaining about the lower tier prizes have been around long enough to know that any angst towards those lower tiers is unwarranted, as they never fill.  This isn't Hutch's fault, this is the fault of people yelling before they think.
  • bantel_catbantel_cat Member Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    The people complaining about the lower tier prizes have been around long enough to know that any angst towards those lower tiers is unwarranted, as they never fill.  This isn't Hutch's fault, this is the fault of people yelling before they think.
    You're right, only been in one other owners final and I had forgotten what happened there. I'll try to refrain from premature whinging in the future. 
    But who's to say what will happen with the brackets this time. 

Out of interest, are the tracksets the same as regular finals?
  • HeissRodHeissRod Member Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    But who's to say what will happen with the brackets this time. 
    if they only open one bracket and it fills into the undesirable lower tiers, then have at it.  B)  
  • grandvachegrandvache Member Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    Then it's bad client relationship management.  

We don't know how many 918s are still in the game but it feels like a decent amount.  

Building 100 or 500 player brackets sends an implicit message and sets an expectation about how big the brackets will get.  Hutch HAVE the data.  They can build appropriate sized brackets and avoid all this drama.  

I can't understand why you wouldn't do so.  If they cap the brackets at 30 the message can be "hey guys just for entering you get a food epic" and we can all be winners, go home and romance the prom queen happy with things, even if the t4 finishers only get a ceramic.

It's not like any of us are going to go "oH nOEs, TD dOesN'T HaVE 10 GaJiLLioN PlaYErZ" and rage quit   If we work out that there are only 1-200 918 winning accounts still in the game is it?  
  • JayJay Member Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another issue with this event is it's just not worth fighting for the rewards. Am I going to max some epics or S for these rewards? Nope.
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay said:
    Another issue with this event is it's just not worth fighting for the rewards. Am I going to max some epics or S for these rewards? Nope.
    Exactly. It's basically free rewards for the whales at the top with their already maxed FR cars.
  • Evil_RabbitEvil_Rabbit Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Anyone joined yet? 
  • sinnersinner Member Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21
    God awful prizes. EVERY single one of those prize cars is USLESS 😂 

Hope I can get top 15 hahaha. Not sure I'll even put any more fuses into my survolt. I've got 6k gold saved, think I'll save that too. 

Why no carbon fibre after 15th place hutch... So tight !
    It would have been much better to have give decent epics rather than this garbage. Obviously your not trying to sell us more packs so your not bothered though @Hutch_Tim 😄
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 603 admin
    HeissRod said:
    Then it's bad client relationship management.  

We don't know how many 918s are still in the game but it feels like a decent amount.  

Building 100 or 500 player brackets sends an implicit message and sets an expectation about how big the brackets will get.  Hutch HAVE the data.  They can build appropriate sized brackets and avoid all this drama.  

I can't understand why you wouldn't do so.  If they cap the brackets at 30 the message can be "hey guys just for entering you get a food epic" and we can all be winners, go home and romance the prom queen happy with things, even if the t4 finishers only get a ceramic.

It's not like any of us are going to go "oH nOEs, TD dOesN'T HaVE 10 GaJiLLioN PlaYErZ" and rage quit   If we work out that there are only 1-200 918 winning accounts still in the game is it?  
    Yep, that's a valid question. There are two reasons we can't do this.

First, the number of 918 owners is not distributed evenly across the different servers, but we don't have the functionality to run different sized leaderboards. So we have to pick one leaderboard size for all.

Second, even with all the data, we can never be exactly certain how many players will show up. Suppose 60% of 918 owners are still active, how big should the leaderboards be? Enough to accommodate 70%? But then if one extra person shows up, the very last person to enter gets a free T1. You'd probably go with something higher to be safe, and it still would most likely look worse than it is.

There's no perfect solution but we could for example:
    - Just for this event have all server players on one leaderboard, making numbers more predictable and even
    - Have prize tiers based on % position so it scales dynamically

But either one of those is quite substantial work, for something that only happens (currently) a bit less than every 2 months, for a very small slice of the Top Drives population. It's a very important slice of course, but it's still hard to prioritise anything like that over things that everyone can experience.

An alternative is we come up with some entirely different way to do this... I'm not sure what this is though. An additional event with big prizes where having the prize car is a huge advantage? We can't always design such an event though, and it also still means owners get one less event than everyone else.

Or, we allow previous owners into the regular Final (as long as the prize car doesn't give an advantage there, which we can probably avoid), and then anyone who gets a duplicate gets it (manually) swapped for something else afterwards?! Although balancing that 'something else' would likely leave nobody happy I suspect, and all the players that come top T2 would likely complain that previous winners are keeping them out. I'm just not sure.
  • BasilBasil Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion for Hutch. As I am a 918 owner as well, I am envious of all the players who have the Porsche off road and some other cars as well. When you make this 'owner' event, why don't you just let us pick the car we want (in the same catagory of course) that we want. Of course it must be a car that is not in our garage. So, when you are in T1, you get the gold money and a 'S' car , T2,... and so on. I'm sure that in ceramic you still can find a great 'A' car that you are missing. You coudl consider that we also could pick a trophy car but then maybe a 'class' lower. As said by others, we are playing this game for a long time, spending lots and lots of time and money,.. let us feel that you appreciate this :-)
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Robin mentioned the idea of an Owners Challenge in the Project 8 Owners Final thread. To me, that sounds interesting and would be something worth trying at least once
    Basil said:
    I have a suggestion for Hutch. As I am a 918 owner as well, I am envious of all the players who have the Porsche off road and some other cars as well. When you make this 'owner' event, why don't you just let us pick the car we want (in the same catagory of course) that we want. Of course it must be a car that is not in our garage. So, when you are in T1, you get the gold money and a 'S' car , T2,... and so on. I'm sure that in ceramic you still can find a great 'A' car that you are missing. You coudl consider that we also could pick a trophy car but then maybe a 'class' lower. As said by others, we are playing this game for a long time, spending lots and lots of time and money,.. let us feel that you appreciate this :-)

I don't understand why there are 4 (more ?) people who 'disagree'. in my opinion the 918 is THE best car in the pack. Why shouldn't we as owner of that car choose the next best thing ourselves (as this will be different for each of us) that we need when this event pops up ?
  • OzzmanOzzman Member Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basil said:
    Basil said:

I don't understand why there are 4 (more ?) people who 'disagree'. in my opinion the 918 is THE best car in the pack. Why shouldn't we as owner of that car choose the next best thing ourselves (as this will be different for each of us) that we need when this event pops up ?
    I'm not one who gave you a diagree, but I do not agree with you either. Here's why: you say the owner event's top prize should be any RQ30 legendary of your choice? I'm sorry but I think that would be way too generous. Most players struggle to find a certain good car for years, even if it's just an ultra-rare. A "car of your choice" would be a huge advantage in any category above and including B. But...

Strix said:

Not a single player who won a 918 will have any use for any of these cars, other than as fuse material. You needed exceptionally good Porsche garages to compete last time.
    ... I agree, that the owner events prize structure should take the previous requirements of that prize car into consideration. So in this current case, because the last time the 918 could be won, it required a pretty strong Porsche garage, the least Hutch could do is not give the owners more Porsches for doing well back then. Of course that will get more difficult with every re-run of a certain prize car, but that's years from now.
    Ozzman said:
    Basil said:
    Basil said:

I'm not one who gave you a diagree, but I do not agree with you either. Here's why: you say the owner event's top prize should be any RQ30 legendary of your choice? I'm sorry but I think that would be way too generous. Most players struggle to find a certain good car for years, even if it's just an ultra-rare. A "car of your choice" would be a huge advantage in any category above and including B. But...

Strix said:

Not a single player who won a 918 will have any use for any of these cars, other than as fuse material. You needed exceptionally good Porsche garages to compete last time.
    ... I agree, that the owner events prize structure should take the previous requirements of that prize car into consideration. So in this current case, because the last time the 918 could be won, it required a pretty strong Porsche garage, the least Hutch could do is not give the owners more Porsches for doing well back then. Of course that will get more difficult with every re-run of a certain prize car, but that's years from now.

Ok, so the main struggle that you guys have is that it is a Porsche then,.. because you'd spend a lot of gold on your hand the previous time the 918 was a price. I can get that (was one of those :-) ). But then you want a simular car that has the same requirements ? Humm,.. in this case I think there aren't much of these (without being a Porsche or Bugatti). So, to follow your way of thinking, I suppose that Hutch can only give 2x CF and the Porsche for the first 15 and 1x CF and an 'A' Porsche for the rest of the bracket as another car won't do the trick neither (everyone wants another car). Right ?
    BTW,... when you guys refuse to enter the event... WHO ARE THESE GUYS IN MY BRACKET THEN !!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    Basil said:
    BTW,... when you guys refuse to enter the event... WHO ARE THESE GUYS IN MY BRACKET THEN !!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    How's it filling? 😄
    TD01055 said:
    Basil said:
    Ozzman said:
    Basil said:
    Basil said:

Strix said:

Ok, so the main struggle that you guys have is that it is a Porsche then,.. because you'd spend a lot of gold on your hand the previous time the 918 was a price. I can get that (was one of those :-) ). But then you want a simular car that has the same requirements ? Humm,.. in this case I think there aren't much of these (without being a Porsche or Bugatti). So, to follow your way of thinking, I suppose that Hutch can only give 2x CF and the Porsche for the first 15 and 1x CF and an 'A' Porsche for the rest of the bracket as another car won't do the trick neither (everyone wants another car). Right ?
    It’s not a difficult problem, all they needed to do was put a rq29/RQ30 Porsche in T1, keep the crappy T2 legend and give CF packs to the whole group (like they did in the first couple owners events). Simple, I don’t think anyone is asking for anything elaborate

Seems fair,.. I'll drink to that ! :-)
  • LEGENDNADALEGENDNADA Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing going to change now:) 

Anyone entered yet? What are the top hands?