PL 10.0.1 - HotFix Patch Notes - October 2019

PL10.0.1 is now being pushed live across all devices. As before, it may take up to 24 hours for the update to propagate on all devices, but the majority of users should see it within a couple of hours. If you don’t see the update yet, give it time as it is on its way.

We acknowledge that the issues in PL10 caused a number of bugs for all of our users, so we’ve written up detailed patch notes to answer your questions about the issues.

What went wrong in PL10?

When updates for Top Drives are in development, we update core software that supports the game. In PL10 we updated Unity to a more recent version and this resulted in a series of unpredicted, player-facing bugs in the update, including:

• Crashes on iOS when a user is about to start a match

• Within a match cars appear sideways on the start line, resulting in challenges appearing to end in a draw.

• Crashes resulting from tapping on the Event Requirements Filter

For those of you that are technically curious, we traced this problem to an issue with iOS and the newer C# runtime we had updated to (the newer version of Unity had deprecated the previous one), whereby the users device language setting was now setting the internal ‘Culture’ value (when they previously didn’t), this resulted in many of our numerical conversion being treated in different and unexpected ways.

We’ve solved the problem by hard-coding the ‘Culture’ setting to be US-EN, ignoring the value set by iOS, which results in the expected numerical conversions again.

Additionally, in this update, we have fixed an unrelated Spanish localisation issue.

What have we learnt from this?

From this issue arising, we have identified ways to improve our processes to discover similar issues before future updates are released. One of these actions is to broaden our testing approach and to put additional focus on our supported languages. We will be ensuring all supported languages will be receiving equal amounts of testing coverage during early development.

What compensation are we offering?

As the issue were so wide spread and affecting many players, in this extraordinary case, we want to gift to all players a free Carbon Fiber pack to apologise for the frustration and inconvenience. The pack will be available from 13:00BST for 48 hours from the in game store. Additionally, we will host an extra standard 48h event on Thursday 10th October.

Comments

• lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the cf however the lag when 1st opening thr game and when deselecting cars from the car choosing screen when entering an event still needs looking at on android.
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the free Cf reminds me of the old Hutch! This is what we've been wanting, just a simple fix and a simple gesture. Thank you Hutch for the free Cf and the explanation of what is a very reasonable reason that something can mess up in programming world.

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great execution of the update.  Great compensation for the players. 

The only other thing I would have asked for are some car corrections to come through with the update.  I really dislike having to wait for each major update to see corrections.  I don't understand why groups of these can't be rolled out as .x updates.
  • Hutch_KatieHutch_Katie Posts: 221 admin
    HeissRod said:
    Great execution of the update.  Great compensation for the players. 

The only other thing I would have asked for are some car corrections to come through with the update.  I really dislike having to wait for each major update to see corrections.  I don't understand why groups of these can't be rolled out as .x updates.
    As Jon mentioned, it's due to all the testing that's required. But the team are working on the submitted changes, testing and getting large updates out sooner, so hopefully it won't be a long wait for these changes to be implemented!
  • 2xDiP2xDiP Posts: 8
    I noticed, in PL10 update you started to fix one long-existing bug. In the preview, for the track "Middle Streets" is now indicated "Asphalt" instead of "Mixed", but on the screen of the results of the race - it remains "Asphalt|Asphalt". What is the actual surface on this track? "asphalt", or "mixed"?
This discussion has been closed.