PL 10.1 - Server Patch - November 2019

Hutch_KatieHutch_Katie Posts: 128 admin
edited November 6 in News & Announcements

Resolving Late Joining Events
Late joining in events to try to win high tier rewards while racing as few races as possible has been an emergent aspect of the game and long requested for us to fix. In this server-only update, which will not need a download from the store, we resolve this issue. The changes will be deployed this afternoon (6th November).

We didn’t want to add a separate registration period to events. Instead we looked for a solution where players could still join whenever they wanted, while encouraging joining early and racing against other players.

In The Final Hours...
A number of hours before events end, we will stop creating new leaderboards. Players will still be able to join the event, however, they will be distributed across existing leaderboards at random, overfilling these leaderboards.

The lowest prize tier already automatically adjusts to the bottom of the leaderboard, so this will ensure all players are still eligible to receive rewards.

This period applies to all events, and the length of time before events end is configurable on a per event basis. In general, we expect longer events to have a longer ‘final hours’ period of no new leaderboards.

There are certain types of events that repeat on a timed schedule. These are the Evergreen events for players below 100RQ, and Daily events for Players 149-150 RQ. The changes may take a few weeks to fully roll out for these repeated events.

Scoring Changes
In the past, we increased the number of points earned from active match victories by 3 points. Active meaning victories from races you are present for, not for races that happen from other players. We are increasing this by a further 3 points.

Some of this benefit is still felt by players joining late in an event’s run, so we’re also reducing the points loses in all match losses by 3 points. A player who joins early will face more races from other players and will accumulate more losses, slightly reducing the impact of losses will benefit those players who join events early.
Scoring changes will affect all events effective immediately.

Increasing Prize Cars Awarded
Making last second joining less lucrative should lead to players with weaker garages more likely to join earlier. With these players likely to be more spread out across the different leaderboards, earlier brackets will be easier to compete in.

However, we want to go further than this, this change will not occur immediately, but once we have rolled out these changes to Tri Series events, we will increase the number of prize cars awarded in Tri Series Finals from 8 to 10, so a 25% increase in the size of the top tier.

Known Issues:
The leaderboard size as shown in the last prize tier will not adjust its number, as this is a server only release. We will change this number to update dynamically if the leaderboard size grows in a future client update.

Summary
Players are still able to join events at any time, however, in the final hours of an event, new players who join an event will overfill existing leaderboards. Scoring changes are rolling out to benefit early joiners, and the top prize tier in Tri Series Finals will be expanded once changes are rolled out to those events.

Post edited by Hutch_Robin on

Comments

• _HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    This seems like it might actually hurt middle-of-the-road players. Let’s say a bracket is full and I’m holding a Tier 3 position with close to zero points, the late joiners can’t touch the top people in the bracket but they can now bump Tier 3 people down to Tier 4 and so on. 

I think you are on the right track but you need to also fix the scoring systems and get rid of negative points: in matches you win points but you don’t lose points if you lose a race you just stay at the same 0 points u had at the start. 
  • AvengedAvenged Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good start, this potentially means I can't get fucked over so badly near event end times when I can't be playing. It's a positive and I'll look forward to trying to see if building a strong early lead helps.

Now can you guys prioritize having server-specific event end times so that the Asia guys can actually not have to choose between sleep and a decent prize?
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this, appreciate Hutch trying to resolve this issue - particularly last minute joiners getting prize cars. This fixes that situation so good job on that front

However will prizes be scaled according to bracket size? Lets say the bracket i am in ends up with 600 instead of usual 500, theoretically a player in 10th could now be knocked out by a player coming from the 'overfill'... That is surely not fair. In this situation you have inadvertently penalized the early joiner. How does Hutch propose to deal with that situation? 
  • baestbaest Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    Avenged said:
    It's a good start, this potentially means I can't get fucked over so badly near event end times when I can't be playing. It's a positive and I'll look forward to trying to see if building a strong early lead helps.

Now can you guys prioritize having server-specific event end times so that the Asia guys can actually not have to choose between sleep and a decent prize?
    This, it's not ideal for us in AS to either:
    a) wake up insanely early for those in other AS countries where events finish at stupid o'clock (3-4AM).
    b) or the other AS countries where everyone is literally walking into business hours during the crescendo.

Please look into this next, it's absurd.
  • MSRZ23MSRZ23 Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    Wow changes are finally coming along. Thank You for this. Hopefully once it's tested out in some events, we will know how effective it is.

Looking forward to events having different end times and all as well.
  • RuvlaRuvla Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November 7
     I see at least 2 problems:

- players must be notified when final hours begin for particular event
    - as already mentioned, prize tiers should be changed proportionally to the size of bracket increase, cause otherwise it still makes different leaderboards differ from each other

Good intention to fix, but realization does not fix the root cause. The problem is in scoring and number of races you can potentially be involved. Late join still gives you chance to race more, but loose less. So still, if you have strong hand and join late - you can do climb in last hours of event, not being be able to get many losses versus the same player fighting in top of leaderboard for a few days.
  • miggemigge Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    is this live now?
  • malsmals Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    What? Bad, very bad update.
    Really, if that is the solution you have decided, i cant understand it, because it is irrational and shows little common sense.

The best decision imho, it would have been to force to the players to enter an event at least 6 hours before the end of the event. Players cant enter to the events in the last 6 hours, easy and simple.
    but your proposal harms the players.
  • MrSkelMrSkel Posts: 1
    This is probably the worst way of changing the events due to how incomplete it is. It could be the best way of changing the events, if a true matchmaking feature was introduced. What will happen now is only the mega-rich who can afford to buy all 15 event CF's and also get lucky from them will claim the top slots and everyone else will languish in the lower tiers. 

I don't want to race in finals against players with 40k trophies who have spent entire paycheques on this game. That's not a fair competition. Create a matchmaking system which lets players "spike" their garage for specific events by buying CF's but then increase their matchmaking score respectively. I have friends in countries where a carbon fibre pack represents 1/10th of their monthly wage, all for a **** B car 95% of the time. These poor players shouldn't have to be competing with "parent's credit card" Timmy. 

Let people race against their equals and earn fair rewards for it!
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    This seems like it might actually hurt middle-of-the-road players. Let’s say a bracket is full and I’m holding a Tier 3 position with close to zero points, the late joiners can’t touch the top people in the bracket but they can now bump Tier 3 people down to Tier 4 and so on. 
    That's presumably what the change in points is partially intended to address. Making the gap wider will mean position depends more on how much you've played and less on your hand as well as exaggerating the points amounts as you go up the rankings, to make it harder to climb for overflow joiners. And if this is successful there'll be many fewer late joiners anyway. 

A side effect is that it makes ticket spam stronger so we may see more of those tier 1 players with a couple of hundred matches played. If that happens there may need to be rule changes to make it impossible to buy tickets in the top 3-4%.

All good news. 
    Not sure about the overflow thing though, you could be in an existing bracket for 3 days relatively safe in what ever tier and be hit by late joining ticket spammers, or am I understanding it?
    You're not, but what's the motivation to join that late and ticket spam? If you're going to ticket spam it seems like it'd be better to join before the cut-off so you go into a day 3 bracket where tier 1 has less points.
  • StyxingerStyxinger Posts: 49
    This update would only make sense if the late joiners wouldnt be allowed to spam tickets.
    Otherwise I know that I'll get overtaken by some latejoiners after fighting  two and a half day for my position in T2 or T3.
    Will be frustrating for the  other players.

PLEASE BAN TICKETBUYING FOR LATEJOINERS DISTRIBUTED TO LONGER EXISTING LEADERBOARDS!
  • grandvachegrandvache Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing how this works in practice, but any attempt to fix things is welcome.
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    Styxinger said:
    This update would only make sense if the late joiners wouldnt be allowed to spam tickets.
    Otherwise I know that I'll get overtaken by some latejoiners after fighting  two and a half day for my position in T2 or T3.
    Will be frustrating for the  other players.

PLEASE BAN TICKETBUYING FOR LATEJOINERS DISTRIBUTED TO LONGER EXISTING LEADERBOARDS!
    But why would anyone overflow join to do that? What's advantage compared to either joining your bracket earlier or joining a day 3 bracket? 

As far as I'm aware losses don't count against you in any way once you start buying tickets other than potentially having a starting score that's a negative number instead of 0 - and there's a good chance a tier 2 hand entered and left to 1 hour before finish is going to end up with more than 0 points. 

There are people who can't join earlier because they've just come back off holiday or something but I'd expect them to be few and far between. 
  • rorycbrrorycbr Posts: 1
    Hi, for me it is dead the game with this implementation practically takes away from you completely the possibility of a third place, more than that it is impossible for young players ... I have been playing for 400 days but there have been people for about 900 days, they have had free offers of packages or very low prices gifts of any kind to advertise the game, until recently the carbon package costs 1000 gold, but how do I win a daily event or an event of any kind comparing with higher level players, the game according to statistics is dwindling is losing players because it is impossible to play, win, fight, they cannot play with higher level players in any event. every game has evolved, for example head ball2 have inserted a fundamental point such as the strength of the moment of the player, games with players not based on level or cups as in top drives, but based on your strength, so you find yourself similar levels and whoever was better wins, yet I spent more money in head ball than in topdrives precisely because I am sure in topdrives even if I spend I will never win ...
  • hillclimberhillclimber Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

In The Final Hours...
    A number of hours before events end, we will stop creating new leaderboards.

Didn't think that means in halftime! What happened and why isn't anybody there to take action? Why making experiments with a final for that so many players spend real money?  Don't you guys care about your paying customers?
  • bscavalcantibscavalcanti Posts: 11
    I have joined in finals on friday. At saturday monday, my bracket is with 650 players. At night, 826 players. So, hutch must closed bracket for some time until the final hours. Well, my bracket finished with near a thousand players.

The T1 pool changed from 8 to 10 top players. (25% growth)

I'm finished in 12 from almost a thousand players. (almost 100% growth)

@Hutch_Katie
    Can you tell us what Hutch is planning for this? The prize pool have information just for 1-500 players. It's completely unfair if we look for two things:

1. The % of players that have get good stuff do not change.. Keep 10 - 40 - 80. And the % of competitive players have doubled.
    2. My hand was able to get T1 in ANY other bracket this event. Some brackets were closed with 500 players and re-opened just for late joiners. 

Last, most people that joined in final hours get fresh new brackets, with 50 - 100 players. 

• SamightySamighty Posts: 1
    This is good news. 

But i hope you fix the old car too... Bmw318i for example, with 18RQ he cant beat anything in his class... And there is lot old lame car like that.

You upgrade the Overpower car like renault dezir, so downgrade the other as well!
  • Hutch_KatieHutch_Katie Posts: 128 admin
    - We have expanded T1 from 8 to 10 people.
    - Everything in the middle may vary, we may make adjustments to these tiers.
    - The bottom tier includes players that are rank 500+
    - So anyone joining in the final hours wont go into a new bucket as no new buckets are being created. They can only go into existing buckets.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18
    What about my bracket now that's meant to be 300 people and is 591 within the 1st day? Surely this isn't what's meant to happen? Youd need to double all the prize ranges to make it fair,

The bracket has been running for 15 hours of a 3 day event so nothing to do with late joining either.
This discussion has been closed.