Mazda Furai

willcf15willcf15 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
Hey folks. Didn't see a thread on this in the last five pages, so I'm assuming that if it has already been brought up, it should be brought up again.

The MRA of this car should be much greater. With 445 horsepower and only 675 kg, you don't need a physics degree to know that this is going to be a rocket ship, right up until drag has its way. In the game, MRA is obviously terrible at 67. I've tested the car in Gran Turismo 6 and run my own simulations to come up with reasonable numbers to change this to. I'll start with the overall numbers, then we'll get into the nitty gritty.

TD GT6 Sim
0-60 3.5 3.1 3.5*
0-100 8.73 5.9 6.24
0-120 13.6 7.82 7.92
0-150 29.3 12.85 12.4
Top Speed 180 181 180**

TD is comically far off simulations that have any math to back them up.

Whether this should be changed is a different question - do we really need everyone having a car this fast? Especially since it's currently A class? As this would surly bump it to legendary status. But I'm not here to address game balance. Only realism. Game balance is up to Hutch, I'm just a numbers guy.

Alright, here's where we get techy, so either put on your nerd cap and buckle up, or jump ship.

GT6:

They had the power of this car listed in the low 500s. If you look on the internet, there is a huge variety of power and even 0-60 times for this car, as it was barely ever tested before...well...it lit itself on fire. But anyway, what I did here was restrict power to 430 instead of the in-game's 445, in an attempt to compensate for the fact that limiting power results in a wider range of rpm producing peak power, improving acceleration overall. I used "sports medium" tires. Anyone familiar with the Gran Turismo series knows that these are most definitely not slicks. The power to weight ratio of this car is insane, and it's grip limited until way past 60 mph, so the only thing really limiting its 0-60 is grip and shift times. Honestly I think the 3.5 second 0-60 is a bit slow, but that's not the point of this argument. The point is new MRA numbers north of 100, continuing past 150.

My Simulation:

I've talked about my simulations before. If you have questions on how it works, I'll be happy to answer them. For now, I'll just share the parameters I used:

Torque curve:

This is pretty much worst case, with a huge peak toward the end of the range reaching 445 hp, and major dropoffs away from that

Mass: 675 kg (755 kg with driver and some gas)
Cd: 0.495**
width: 2000mm
height: 1000mm
Weight Distribution: 45%F/55%R
Shift time: 150ms
Redline: 10000rpm

Gearing:

Gear [email protected] rpm (mph)
1 48
2 71
3 96
4 124
5 153
6 182

Acceleration grip limit: 8.04 m/s^2

Alright, so about the asterisks:

*I used top drives' 0-60 time to calibrate tire grip, and by extension acceleration grip limit. So obviously my 0-60 will match top drives exactly

**Similarly, I used top drives' top speed to calculate coefficient of drag. This is a pretty huge coefficient of drag, more in line with a pickup truck, but we'll let it fly because (1) that huge wing and (2) this is worst case for midrange - assuming that top speed was gearing limited would reduce times for high end acceleration, which are already pretty crazy

Whew. Thanks for reading. Go grab yourself a beer (or maybe a coffee if that's more appropriate...). You've earned it.

Comments

• PlantedZebraPlantedZebra Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Good work.

However, I don't know if Hutch allows us to correct cars with simcade racing games just yet.

As they're currently biased towards testing datas from Car and Driver magazine. (they even don't trust manufacturer claims!)

Although if it do get buffed, I just hope it won't get pushed to legendary as I still don't have one 'till this day.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, I don't know if Hutch allows us to correct cars with simcade racing games just yet.
    I doubt it.  Whats to say that the other game is correct?
  • willcf15willcf15 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10
    HeissRod said:
    I doubt it.  Whats to say that the other game is correct?

A whole bunch of physics...they use power curves, gearing, air resistance models, etc. It may not be perfect, but it's way better than Hutch's system, which is currently a 0-60 time and the feeling in the seat of their pants.

Gran Turismo aside, I've never seen my sim be off by more than 15% on cars where I could compare my results with reality. I'm just trying to provide a general area where this car should be. It's pretty clear Hutch doesn't really care about textbook accuracy, just generally being in the ballpark

Although if it do get buffed, I just hope it won't get pushed to legendary as I still don't have one 'till this day.

This is a very valid sentiment. I'd be worried that if this car was corrected, all future Mazda events and even Japan events would be kinda BS.

I guess at this point all I want is for Hutch to admit they really beaned it on this one, but they don't want to change it to maintain game balance, and that they'll be more careful in the future.