Comments

• Dr_XDr_X Posts: 8
    I agree the car should not be running on slicks. Any rally car has to be road legal to drive the sections that link the special stages. A pure slick tire is not road legal. A tarmac spec rally car like this should be on performance tires not slicks. 
  • hillclimberhillclimber Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Dr_X said:
    Any rally car has to be road legal to drive the sections that link the special stages
    In which country?
    Post edited by hillclimber on
    The EU rule is 1.6mm tread depth in the main groves of the tire. 
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:31989L0459&from=EN
    edited January 27
    To be honest, I was doubting a bit the statement with the road legal part. But you're right!

https://medium.com/@racemarket/25-most-asked-questions-about-rally-cars-3c48ab990e78

Do you know since when that rule applies? it would be important do know for the correction of other rally cars.

but anyway, these are the aviabel tires
    https://www.michelinmotorsport.com/Tyres/Rally

so in the dry it was on this ones

now the question is are those semi slicks closer to full slicks or to performance tires?

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Those are way closer to slicks, IMO
    edited January 27
    I just realised it's the same discussion as we had with the Abarth Grande Punto S2000... 
    there are different types of the Michelin Pilot Sport R

type R21 is only made for the use on dry smooth ground. that reflects what slicks stand for in the game.
    As @Dr_X mentioned correctly in the Manta correction thread, the next question should be what is the car best known for, on what kind of stages did it have the most success? 

Edit:
    - The car was only used in the R-GT Cup, a series only on tarmac.
    - For the R-GT Cup has not been used the regular rally tire Michelin Pilot Sport R but the Michelin Pilot Sport R GT

the range positioning sheet stays the same.
    Post edited by hillclimber on
    HeissRod said:
    I disagree there are two grooves going right the way around plus the angled tread. This would be way better in wet conditions that a smooth slick. And that is what matters in the game how much we penalise this car in the rain. 
    The important thing is that we ask Hutch to be consistent with tarmac spec rally cars. The Lancia ECV is on performance tires as is the Abarth Grande Punto and this one is not. They should all be on the same tire group.
    Dr_X said:
    HeissRod said:
    I disagree there are two grooves going right the way around plus the angled tread. This would be way better in wet conditions that a smooth slick. And that is what matters in the game how much we penalise this car in the rain. 
    The important thing is that we ask Hutch to be consistent with tarmac spec rally cars. The Lancia ECV is on performance tires as is the Abarth Grande Punto and this one is not. They should all be on the same tire group.
    it's not quit the same as augmented  above. Both tires have the same asphalt range positioning sheet deposited. But the profile of the Sport R reminds me of a semi slick while the Sport R GT more like a sport tire. Also the description of the Sport R reads more like racing while the Sport R GT sounds like very sportive IMO.

So I think we have a case here: The Abarth 124 Spider Rally should actually be more on Performance tires, while the Grande Punto should be more on Slicks.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_X said:
    The EU rule is 1.6mm tread depth in the main groves of the tire. 
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:31989L0459&from=EN
    Average tread depth of a new performance tire, meant for a street car, is between 7.94 & 8.73mm.  Recommended replacement is when the depth falls to 2.38mm or less.  These tires may have grooves, but they are shallow as heck.
  • bertmcfishbertmcfish Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    There are non-asphalt stages that this car competes in where they couldn’t possible use slicks