Knowing track times of two cars can I predict how many points will one of them earn?

VatumaVatuma Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited December 2018 in General Discussion
Let's say I know that results on Forest Road of two cars are:
Car#1 - 1:38.17
Car#2 - 1:44.93
How many points Car#1 will earn if they compete?
Is it possible to predict?

Best Answer

Answers

• RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No need to predict. 

Go to campaign and record the time of the computer car. Find a car that matches the time difference you're looking for. In this case it is 6.76 seconds.

That should in theory tell you the points you'd win/lose in that event

Edit: missed the part about this being for forest road. This only works for being on the exact same event
    Post edited by RobGripes on
  • baestbaest Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    No need to predict. 

Go to campaign and record the time of the computer car. Find a car that matches the time difference you're looking for. In this case it is 6.76 seconds.

This, and eventually it becomes second nature as you build some knowledge of what works.
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    No need to predict. 

It doesn't work that way. 1/4 mile drag 8.00 vs. 14.76 is hundreds of points, while icy forest slalom 3:00.00 vs. 3:06.76 is 50 points.

It definitely varies between tracks. It's seems to be roughly proportional to the length of the event but I don't have any further knowledge than that.

• VatumaVatuma Posts: 20 ✭✭
    It doesn't work that way. 1/4 mile drag 8.00 vs. 14.76 is hundreds of points, while icy forest slalom 3:00.00 vs. 3:06.76 is 50 points.

It definitely varies between tracks. It's seems to be roughly proportional to the length of the event but I don't have any further knowledge than that.

Exactly. And this is what I'm asking about.
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    No need to predict. 

Yep, you're right. It varies between tracks.

My apologies i missed the OP part about it for being forest road. If it was a campaign track that would work for the exact same event.
  • 43MK443MK4 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it’s possible to calculate/predict the exact score of the race. I have seen guys on this forum do this kind of calculations but never really checked myself how it’s done and what formula was used.

I also recall that few months ago results for drag races were adjusted and the actual score is reduced by 20 or 30%.
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prex said:
    The real, exact formular might be more complex but there is a very good and simple approximation. Absolute (!) points can be approximated using this formular: ( ( loser’s time - winner’s time ) / loser’s time ) * multiplier

Multpliers are 350 for speed threshold drags, 800 for distance drags, 1100 for the dirty street in Monaco, and 1000 for other tracks, except test bowl. Test bowl seems to have another more complex formular which can not be approximated using this linear one.

Edit: these multipliers did work for campaign tracks. Don’t know whether it’s true for Tokyo, Black Forest, and American Dream environment; but I think so.

A very similar formula can be applied to test bowl as well, but because that is the only race, where the bigger number (speed instead of time) means victory, you need to swap the numbers a bit. So the formula for test bowl is:

( ( winner's speed - loser's speed ) / loser's speed ) * 400

For some reason though this is not as precise as the one applied to times. More like +/- 5 points precise. Maybe the speed dislayed in the game is not as precise as the one used for calculating the points. I mean for time we get two decimal places, but for speed it may be rounded to whole numbers, but the points are calculated for a more precise number. Only exception is if the rounded numbers are equal, then it's a tie.

• hillclimberhillclimber Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's been tested and it works quite accurate.

@prex if you want to know the real value of your work you can take the amount of likes you got and apply the same multiplier as for the test bowl. You work is huge and obviously totally underestimated. THANK YOU!