General Discussion

New game from hutch

binnerbinner Member Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭
I know it's off topic but I saw this in the app store. I'm a big fan of the motorsport manager games, so this looks promising hopefully being similar but with PvP elements and hopefully some sort of grinding elements like topdrives to keep us hooked. 

Comments

• Blue2moroBlue2moro Member Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not showing in UK play store yet. Searched for F1 manager and viewed all hutch games.
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm, this worries me a bit. will hutch siphon off precious resources of the small team into the new game or are these two separate departments? @Hutch_Robin @Hutch_Tim
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 821 admin
    edited April 28
    Hutch response has been posted on this.

Hutch_Jay said:
    O__VER said:
    Probably bad news for Top Drives. Their small team will be working on the new game now.

Hi folks, Jay here. I am speaking on behalf of Robin and the TD team (as he and a lot of the company have started their Christmas holidays).

I can reassure you that this is unequivocally not the case. We remain fully committed to Top Drives and have a full dev team on it. The team has actually scaled up over the last 8 months or so in fact. We have so much more to give and do with Top Drives!

• mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not on iOS yet. Looks interesting. 
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is in Alpha i think... for android you can only pre register as a lot of game like Elder Scroll Blades (i have early access) or Diablo immortal or other games!!!
  • 43MK443MK4 Member Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:
    it is in Alpha i think... for android you can only pre register as a lot of game like Elder Scroll Blades (i have early access) or Diablo immortal or other games!!!
    Blades is disappointing, deleted it quite fast. When will Diablo immortal be out?
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems this year but no official statement!!
  • 43MK443MK4 Member Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28
    Anyway, if anyone is missing good old rpg (single player) like Diablo 2, Titan Quest for the phone is a must!
  • TGPDTGPD Member Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Just off the Azerbaijan GP. Refreshing. Hopefully they don't make this game p2w and boring like the azerbaijan gp.
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been in beta for a while... accessible through the Play Store in New Zealand at least. Originally it wasn't branded with official F1 names and it had some familiar placeholder names instead (Legrand). Only a few weeks ago it updated with the F1 licensing.

I have it on my phone but I've never actually opened it haha.
  • NumarNumar Member Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29
    This is interesting but i dont see myself collecting F1 without a more complex evolution of the card system ... the one on TD is pretty (too much ?) simple , only 3 paths (969 , 699 , 996) , no possibility to evolve car cards in rarity ... we’ll see
    O__VER said:
    It's been in beta for a while... accessible through the Play Store in New Zealand at least. Originally it wasn't branded with official F1 names and it had some familiar placeholder names instead (Legrand). Only a few weeks ago it updated with the F1 licensing.

I have it on my phone but I've never actually opened it haha.
    So I just played this. The intro is annoyingly hand-holdy. Stock photos awful, so standard Hutch. Gameplay I'll wait to comment on as I haven't done enough yet. Could be entertaining for a bit.

But you have to watch SEVEN 30 second ads to get a reward, so it already feels a bit desperate.
  • UltimateUltimate Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @O__VER nice little plug to help us stick with TD 😉😉😉

What I’m interested in is will they have licences for all the real teams, *cough cough* maybe even the elusive Ferrari licence?
    edited May 2
    Ultimate said:

What I’m interested in is will they have licences for all the real teams, *cough cough* maybe even the elusive Ferrari licence?
    I believe it has the full F1 license, so at least all drivers are included. I keep pulling **** Lance Stroll though. I'm not sure about teams yet (I haven't played enough) because it has you make your own team.

I think the major drawback for me so far is that it feels like a kids game with cartoony fake graphics for all the car parts. Aside from the real drivers, it doesn't feel like a serious F1 game for adults.
  • TGPDTGPD Member Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

I believe it has the full F1 license, so at least all drivers are included. I keep pulling **** Lance Stroll though. I'm not sure about teams yet (I haven't played enough) because it has you make your own team.

I think the major drawback for me so far is that it feels like a kids game with cartoony fake graphics for all the car parts. Aside from the real drivers, it doesn't feel like a serious F1 game for adults.
    lol lance stroll is that annoying RQ19 you get from carbons...
  • AdxREAdxRE Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

More like a random RQ7 that we would sell without thinking twice in the garage holding area.
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

AdxRE said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

More like a random RQ7 that we would sell without thinking twice in the garage holding area.
    Haha trouble with that is that it seems to not give you other drivers on purpose. I started with Albion and Stroll and that's all I've pulled so far. You use them to upgrade the driver rather than having duplicates.

Game needs a lot of work I have to say. Even notifications are broken.
  • Blue2moroBlue2moro Member Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

AdxRE said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

Haha trouble with that is that it seems to not give you other drivers on purpose. I started with Albion and Stroll and that's all I've pulled so far. You use them to upgrade the driver rather than having duplicates.

Maybe only those 2 drivers are available in the beta?
  • JacoJaco Member Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

AdxRE said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

Don't forget to mention the high prizing for ig credits
    Blue2moro said:
    O__VER said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

AdxRE said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:
    Ultimate said:

Maybe only those 2 drivers are available in the beta?
    Maybe. You verse "real people" and they have different drivers. But I'm not really sure how real those opponents are. I doubt many are playing the game.

Impressions from a few hours of play:

- Holy **** they need the option to turn vibrate off. It's the most annoying thing about the game.
    - Car AI is utterly terrible. Cars bounce off each other round the track and take retarded lines.
    - Race graphics are glitchy as hell. Cars glitch forward and backward along the track and when they go into the pits, they basically glitch into the pits.
    - A lot of the race is about luck whether or not your car bounces off the other cars in a fortunate way.
    - It's hilarious and surprisingly common to run out of fuel on the finishing straight only to have an opponent ram you across the finish line 😂
    - It's nothing like real life Formula 1.
    - Aside from all the glitches and bugs, it is a beta and it has promise. Just a long way to go.
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 603 admin
    O__VER said:
    So I just played this. The intro is annoyingly hand-holdy. Stock photos awful, so standard Hutch. Gameplay I'll wait to comment on as I haven't done enough yet. Could be entertaining for a bit.

But you have to watch SEVEN 30 second ads to get a reward, so it already feels a bit desperate.
    Let's talk about some design decisions here!

Intro: a few players know all about how to manage a team in races like these, but a lot don't, and we need this game to work for a wide audience to support a live matchmaking-based game. That's what the "hand holding" bit is about. I think we did have a 'skip' feature in an earlier version, but people would skip it and then not know what they were doing, so we felt we had to leave it in!

Ads: The game follows a 'wager' model, a bit like 8 ball pool or Golf Clash. That means some in-game currency is on the line in every match, which is what hopefully makes it a bit more exciting. The down-side is that if you manage your currency balance badly and/or are particularly unlucky, you can run out of currency to play with. You can then wait a while for the free crates to show up, but we also have a bunch of rewarded ad options you can use if you need. (Also to clarify, each ad gives a reward, you don't have to watch 7 to get any reward).

Ultimate said:

Ferrari is in there, since you (and your opponent) race against all the teams. But this is part of the F1 license, so it doesn't mean we can start using Ferraris everywhere, unfortunately.

AdxRE said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:

The drops can't really be compared to Top Drives. A bit like Golf Clash and Clash Royale, you unlock new possible drops from crates as you progress from series. When you look at the possible drivers, the big number you see on them represent the series at which they unlock. In Series 1 it's all Stroll and Albon, and Nico Hülkenberg if you're lucky.

O__VER said:
    - Car AI is utterly terrible. Cars bounce off each other round the track and take retarded lines.
    - Race graphics are glitchy as hell. Cars glitch forward and backward along the track and when they go into the pits, they basically glitch into the pits.
    - A lot of the race is about luck whether or not your car bounces off the other cars in a fortunate way.
    Hmm, are you on the latest version? There was some glitchiness in earlier versions, usually to do with not having a perfect internet connection, which we have since smoothed out.

O__VER said:
    - It's hilarious and surprisingly common to run out of fuel on the finishing straight only to have an opponent ram you across the finish line 😂

Definitely sounds like you're on an earlier version, as the drivers are now more up-front about letting you know if your strategy will mean they run out of fuel! (Although you can still overrule them). 

O__VER said:
    Obviously to make a mobile F1 PvP game, we were going to have to change some things, not least the length of the races! We have the races about as short as they can be while still allowing for meaningful strategy around pacing, pit stops and tire choices vs weather and how the race plays out. Is there something from real life F1 that feels particularly missing?
  • DabigpDabigp Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    Why this game isnt available on ios?
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Member Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won’t bother downloading it, just sounds a bit like a rubbish version of Motorsport Manager that costs you an arm and a leg to progress in. 
  • DannyDanny Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    ZotZe said:
    Thought "our" TD Team of hutch has nothing to do with the new game and is all focused on TD ? ...
    My thoughts exactly. Hutch Tim seems to know an awful lot about it...
  • TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:
    Danny said:
    ZotZe said:
    Thought "our" TD Team of hutch has nothing to do with the new game and is all focused on TD ? ...
    My thoughts exactly. Hutch Tim seems to know an awful lot about it...
    Ha! Here's the funny thing... I'm not actually on the Top Drives team, and never have been.

We actually cover the "what do you do" question in the upcoming Top Drives show, episode 20. I oversee analytics and marketing for all our games, which is why I know a fair bit about all of them. We have a few dedicated Top Drives players at Hutch, and I just happen to be one that's keen enough to get involved on the forums and the show, which is why you've seen me about so much over the years.

"upcoming Top Drives show, episode 20"  -  upcoming, as in today or tomorrow?  Where we will learn the 'when' of Clubs?  ;)

• TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or is Top Drives episode 20 next week? 🤔
    Hutch_Tim said:
    O__VER said:

Let's talk about some design decisions here!

Intro: a few players know all about how to manage a team in races like these, but a lot don't, and we need this game to work for a wide audience to support a live matchmaking-based game. That's what the "hand holding" bit is about. I think we did have a 'skip' feature in an earlier version, but people would skip it and then not know what they were doing, so we felt we had to leave it in!

Ads: The game follows a 'wager' model, a bit like 8 ball pool or Golf Clash. That means some in-game currency is on the line in every match, which is what hopefully makes it a bit more exciting. The down-side is that if you manage your currency balance badly and/or are particularly unlucky, you can run out of currency to play with. You can then wait a while for the free crates to show up, but we also have a bunch of rewarded ad options you can use if you need. (Also to clarify, each ad gives a reward, you don't have to watch 7 to get any reward).

Ultimate said:

Ferrari is in there, since you (and your opponent) race against all the teams. But this is part of the F1 license, so it doesn't mean we can start using Ferraris everywhere, unfortunately.

AdxRE said:
    TGPD said:
    O__VER said:

The drops can't really be compared to Top Drives. A bit like Golf Clash and Clash Royale, you unlock new possible drops from crates as you progress from series. When you look at the possible drivers, the big number you see on them represent the series at which they unlock. In Series 1 it's all Stroll and Albon, and Nico Hülkenberg if you're lucky.

O__VER said:
    Hmm, are you on the latest version? There was some glitchiness in earlier versions, usually to do with not having a perfect internet connection, which we have since smoothed out.

O__VER said:

Definitely sounds like you're on an earlier version, as the drivers are now more up-front about letting you know if your strategy will mean they run out of fuel! (Although you can still overrule them). 

O__VER said:
    Obviously to make a mobile F1 PvP game, we were going to have to change some things, not least the length of the races! We have the races about as short as they can be while still allowing for meaningful strategy around pacing, pit stops and tire choices vs weather and how the race plays out. Is there something from real life F1 that feels particularly missing?
    Thanks for responding @Hutch_Tim. I am simply stating it as I see it when I'm playing it. I am being critical because these are things that in my opinion need to change.

Regarding your comments on version, there is no update available to me. I am on 0.04.7450. You mention that it was an issue to do with a bad connection and it definitely feels that way. It feels like bad lag on any other game. I am on a gigabit fibre connection but then I am in New Zealand so maybe distance to server is a problem here?