General Discussion

Citroën BX 4TC testing

2»

Comments

• LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Member Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll have another go, any better @mikes ?

• TreyWelshTreyWelsh Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    The Citroen is heavier
    But are heavier cars not better off-road? :wink:
  • greddygreddy Member Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14

Ride height (ground clearance) is distance from flat surface to the lowest point on car, typically the axle. 
  • BoxtaSBoxtaS Member Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    The Citroen is heavier
    This is a really interesting point, and something about the game that I’ve always struggled to get my head around. 

Hypothetically, if 2 cars have the same handling stat, (and power, 0-60 etc) but one is considerably lighter, then the lighter car has an advantage particularly on slalom, g-force etc.

If the heavier car doesn’t have an advantage somewhere else, high speed stability for instance, then surely it’s handling stat is wrong? It doesn’t handle as well as the lighter car, even if the disadvantage is only on certain tracks. 
    greddy said:

Ride height (ground clearance) is distance from flat surface to the lowest point on car, typically the axle. 
    Rear of front wheel arch according to the official homologation papers above. (If I’m right) 
    greddy said:

Rear of front wheel arch according to the official homologation papers above. (If I’m right) 
    1800 mm = 1.8meters. Thats a bit too much for ride height :smiley:
  • HeissRodHeissRod Member Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    jczero said:
    HeissRod said:

There is nothing for Hutch to explain.
    I'm not sure about your relationship, but I'm pretty sure you don't represent them :wink: so let the actual staff speak for themselves
    If you're gonna wink, at least make a proposition.
    edited May 14
    greddy said:
    greddy said:

That's with the hydropneumatic suspension raised. :p
    greddy said:
    greddy said:

I give up then. I’m away back to my hole. 😄
    mikes said:
    And more confusing is the fact the Citroen came with a hydropneumatic suspension.
    Low

High

Can the factory suspension actually go that low without modification?  That looks 100x better than the IG picture.
  • BoxtaSBoxtaS Member Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the 1800 measures are front & rear track width, 2400 / 2600 would likely be wheelbase, and 460 / 800 maybe the height of the bumper? 
    edited May 14
    greddy said:
    greddy said:

No, keep digging.  It's an obvious issue that needs correcting.  If both cars are Group B, I can't think of a reason that the Metro would be low ride height?  Start a thread in the corrections forum with anything you find.  Those original spec sheet above are cool.
    edited May 14
    Yes it can go so low, google it for 80 & 90s citroens. They were known for the best suspension in car world. Xantia Activa V6 held world record on moose test for quite some time.

Funny thing is, that when you parked your citroen and lowered it... No one could tow it away :wink:
    HeissRod said:
    greddy said:
    greddy said:

No, keep digging.  It's an obvious issue that needs correcting.  If both cars are Group B, I can't think of a reason that the Metro would be low ride height?  Start a thread in the corrections forum with anything you find.  Those original spec sheet above are cool.
    They really are very interesting, shame my French isn’t up to it. 
    Anyway.... I found the official build sheet, 230mm, I’ve no idea what the IG criteria is? I’ve spent far too much time on this.....
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    230 mm is 9 inches. Higher than most SUVs on the market. If the Metro adopts the rally specs, it shouldn't just be raised from low, it should be high.
  • MoogMoog Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    The trouble with finding exact stats for these cars is that they’re competition cars and will be setup differently for each event which will include ride height, gearing, etc. So there probably isn’t a right or wrong answer for some things.
  • O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    And more confusing is the fact the Citroen came with a hydropneumatic suspension.
    Low

High

Can the factory suspension actually go that low without modification?  That looks 100x better than the IG picture.
    Did the rally car have the hydropneumatic suspension too, or did the homologation road car just keep it since it was standard on the normal Citroen BX? I doubt the rally car would have kept it but I haven't been able to find a source.
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

Did the rally car have the hydropneumatic suspension too, or did the homologation road car just keep it since it was standard on the normal Citroen BX? I doubt the rally car would have kept it but I haven't been able to find a source.
    If you can read French the suspension type is in the link I posted above. 
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

type of suspension: hydropneumatique a roues indépendantes 
    single pneumatic suspension (for a comfortable ride while drinking red wine) 
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

I can read enough French to get by, and in your link, the only specification for the suspension I could find is for the homologation road car, not the rally car. I hope none of us are getting confused and thinking the rally car and homologation road car are the same thing.

I don't believe a rally car would have hydropneumatic suspension. It would probably break on the first jump.
    O__VER said:
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

I don't believe a rally car would have hydropneumatic suspension. It would probably break on the first jump.
    But it would be really comfortable for that first jump!
    O__VER said:
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

I can read enough French to get by, and in your link, the only specification for the suspension I could find is for the homologation road car, not the rally car. I hope none of us are getting confused and thinking the rally car and homologation road car are the same thing.

It did have the same suspension set up as the road version, part of the reason it was so horrendous. 
    O__VER said:
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

It did have the same suspension set up as the road version, part of the reason it was so horrendous. 
    All good, I am only trying to make sure the two cars aren't getting confused as a lot of articles I found talk solely about the road car. I have since found another link that confirms they did run the hydropneumatic suspension on the rally car and it was absolutely part of the reason for its failure.
  • MalaniMalani Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    O__VER said:
    O__VER said:
    HeissRod said:
    mikes said:
    Low

High

Best not use it on the Motocross track then....
  • mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, the rally car did have the hydropneumatic suspension. Read this article. What a disaster the design of this car was. It really is way OP in the game.

• LEGENDNADALEGENDNADA Member Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    mikes said:
    Yup, the rally car did have the hydropneumatic suspension. Read this article. What a disaster the design of this car was. It really is way OP in the game.

After this article it should be super rare😂😂
  • AdxREAdxRE Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    mikes said:

If the Metro has 85 handling stock, the Citroen should have 70 at most according to the article...