General Discussion

Club Events Season 2 Balance Update

Comments

• Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 821 admin
    edited May 28
    As part of the overall objection to smurfing, part of the question is how much value should you get for quite a low effort strategy that involves playing in a way that wasn't intended. What should determine the cash players earn each week in these lower stakes events?

Just a quick look at Blue2moro's numbers. I'll propose a few corrections, perhaps there are more.

- 224k a week is assuming 7 fewer events, but there are only 6 fewer events due to an additional Thursday event, so that's 192k difference. Tier 4 of a 48h event rewards 2.5k extra cash more than Tier 4 of a 24h event, so lets say 189.5k cash.
    - If you assume at least Rookie rank, as it takes just two days to get to, that adds $1.5k (1k event, 0.5k season)
    - Spend 499 gold on the doubler, and you're at -59 gold, but up 129.5k.

There may be more maths we can do, and we'll keep an eye on the actual earnings, but then we're talking about 259k a week. That's +35k and -59 gold. Much closer than it sounded with the example you gave.
    TimBut said:
    Same events whole day - Waaaay more boring than dailies. 
    I understand a lot of your objections, but come on. There is more variety in Club Events than Dailies.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TD01055 said:
    There’s a beautiful irony about the claim to boost cooperation. There was 10x the player cooperation in successful smurfing than there ever will be in clubs. It was a bunch of players figuring out a way to all cooperate and reap some rewards together. Let it live.
    agreed. smurfing cant be done alone, wonderfull cooperation. while in the clubmode i feel alone, even if im in one bracket with guys i know. I never see their hands, and everything is over before you can even try a tactic or communicate.
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 821 admin
    edited May 28
    @Hutch_Robin Please please please don't get rid of the dailies.  At least not without thinking very seriously about their impact and the prizes for club participation.

Cash is BEYOND important to F2P.  Consistent, reliable cash generation is the only reason F2P is viable.  

Even a freshly minted rq150 player can smurf effectively and make significant funds from the dailies.  

The numbers above suggest that even the best players with the widest garages will see revenue from dailies halved by their replacement with club events. Someone with a thin garage will see their earning potential drop significantly further.

Anything that compromises the ability to earn cash compromises the ability of f2p players to compete, the three ceramics a day I can open are the source of the bulk of epics, legends and food for the same that I've been able to muster in 18 months of play.

For newer players they are even more critical.

The dailies are also an interesting exercise in revenue maximising, less like a competition, more like a puzzle, no less interesting because of that and no worse for having a repeatable "solution".

I'd be content enough of they changed once a quarter, but honestly you could leave them alone for the life of the game and that would be fine by me.

If you insist on getting rid of the dalies then I suggest you need to double the number of regular events running or dramatically increase the club rewards either with packs or cash so 5 tickets every 2.5 hours generates a similar return to participation in the daily over the long term.

I do wonder however if cash rewards are the best motivator to get people playing the club events.  Having good packs at the end of each week or something might be a better motivator to bring people in.  5x ceramics or a carbon or garage slots would be more motivating to me than any cash reward.  

If not weekly perhaps top tier prizes could be unlocked by club achievements.  Every 100 MVP awards you get 25 garage slots.  Every 25 top 10 finishes earns a Ceramic pack.  100 platinum  for participation? Have a CF. 500 events with at least 5 races run? ceramic + slots.  The constant ticking over of good rewards (some behind a significant grind) would really drag people in IMHO.

I don't discount the possibility that this is just resistance to change, but I really struggle with why the introduction of clubs (compelling concept, very welcome, needs work) means the end of the daily?  I don't see the cost to the player base or indeed to hutch of continuing to run the dalies.  
    If there's real mileage in a certain threshold of rewards being important, we definitely want to get there. Not necessarily through Club Events. It could be through Challenges or regular Events.

Remember, I'm not out to reduce daily income. And a lot of these income concerns are about income for the non-time rich, the top (top 10% maybe) of 150RQ players. That's the main issue to solve.

You know I'm very concerned about the ongoing struggles of the freshly minted 150RQ group, so we have the same concern there, too.

If we can solve the issues both parties have (you guys wanting strong cash income), my concerns (wanting effort in keeping with the spirit of the game to translate to success, rather than smurfing strategies), then we all win. We've talked about moves towards higher end of event prizes and lower prize boards in the past, but haven't implemented any of that. We will be monitoring actual cash earned from Club Events, but let's open up the discussion about other reward structures, maybe in a separate thread.

Yeah, the resistance to change is constant. People doomsay every update we release. I still want to get to the heart of our concerns, because we all want the same thing.
  • TimButTimBut Member Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted clubs to release asap. Now I want clubs to die.

• mikesmikes Member Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I agree removing dailies but atleast make the club events with prize boards
    Yeah, make each win flip just one card. Heck, make it even cars that range from common to rare
  • RWareRWare Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Was there a legitimate reason that prize boards were not featured in club races?
  • mauro07mauro07 Member Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we need a STRIKE from the game!! (sciopero in italiano)