General Discussion

Slicks - Making Performance 2WD Obsolete?

RWareRWare Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
With the arrival of PL9.0, we see 4 new Slick Tire cars. Including the first at UR level (not counting the unawarded prize Copo Camaro)

This takes the grand total of Slick Tires in TD up to 20. Half of those are prize cars, making Slick Tire cars quite rare, but incredibly dominant. They punch above their weight in RQ because of the slicks, because they're a one-trick pony on dry asphalt only.

For example, look at the non-prize slick cars we have;
RQ8 Twizy - Phenomenal for it's RQ. Anything short and twisty it dominates
RQ17 Renault R21 Europa - An absolute beast of a car. One of the top of C Class if it weren't for Dezir.
RQ16 Jaguar Trans Am - This is now formidable given my 996 build has 95 grip....
RQ24 Porsche RSR - Absolute beast. Can beat some Legends
RQ25 Renault Megane Trophy - See above.
RQ27/28 Porsche Race Cars - Obscene cars and maxed they are Tier 1

Where am I going with this?

Well, unless we are talking RQ150 hands, most people will now have Slick Cars they can field, especially in open hand events. I appreciate not everyone has been lucky enough to get an RSR or Trophy, so apologies if the previous statement made your eyes roll, but all of the above can drop from packs. 

On Dry Asphalt, Performance Tire cars are of course the best bang for your RQ. Unless you have slicks. 
Twisty Circuit R21 versus Honda S2000?
Twisty Road RSR versus Caterham Seven 420?
Fast Circuit Trophy versus Merc AMG CLK DTM?

Now of course, Slicks are killed by Rain. But so are Performance Tires. Standard Tire cars pull the advantage over Performance 2WD cars very well. (Yes, there are cases where a Fast Circuit AMG GT will kill a DS9 in the Rain etc etc)

My point is, Standard Tires have their advantage tracks, wet asphalt.
Slicks have their advantage tracks, dry asphalt. Off-Road & All Surface have their respective advantage conditions.

So where does that leave 2WD Performance Tire cars?

It's become interesting to me as of late, so wanted to share and discuss. 

Comments

• ManUtdTobbeManUtdTobbe Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch definitely need to be careful about making too many slicks cars. Or they have to find a way to balance them.
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RWare said:

Now of course, Slicks are killed by Rain. But so are Performance Tires. Standard Tire cars pull the advantage over Performance 2WD cars very well. (Yes, there are cases where a Fast Circuit AMG GT will kill a DS9 in the Rain etc etc)
    are you aware how bad slicks are in the rain? it's easy to limit the use of them in events, make 3 sets with dry tracks and one with rain or city streets and that's it.

but you're right they are a good way for newer players to catch up. seems fair to me.
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    All surface tyres like slicks have no advantages. They're equal or worse compared to off-road tyres on any surface except rain, where standard tyres dominate.
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All surface tyres like slicks have no advantages. They're equal or worse compared to off-road tyres on any surface except rain, where standard tyres dominate.
    well...there's mixed rallycross or santa monica slalom : p
  • HansGruberHansGruber Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭
    Except on hill climbs where they still dominate because...reasons?
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's in spite of the tires rather than because of them. all surface cars tend to be 4x4 suvs with high ground clearance and all these characteristics help on hill climbs in TD.
    but that's not to say offroad cars can't use these advantages. Correct me if I'm wrong but currently the best climber is the 959 dakar?
  • HansGruberHansGruber Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭
    that's in spite of the tires rather than because of them. all surface cars tend to be 4x4 suvs with high ground clearance and all these characteristics help on hill climbs in TD.
    but that's not to say offroad cars can't use these advantages. Correct me if I'm wrong but currently the best climber is the 959 dakar?
    I’m aware. I was more poking fun at the fact that some all-surface SUVs dominate hill climbs when they should lose to 4WD off-roaders there too. 
  • BoxtaSBoxtaS Member Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A major advantage of performance tyres over slicks is that can be used in the rain if absolutely necessary. I’m using my ford GT in the rain at the moment, most people are. A slick-shod car simply cannot be used in the wet,  even on drags. 

Furai vs Megane Trophy is a good example of similar cars where one is acceptable in the rain in an emergency and the other a total liability.