General Discussion

Using a VPN

O__VERO__VER Member Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey @Hutch_Robin, I'm hoping you can answer this.

Over the last few weeks I'm sure many have noticed that using a VPN to visit another region's servers no longer works in Top Drives. It wasn't made clear that Hutch had a problem with VPNing (I think Tim even admitted to doing it occasionally) but something has changed and it's a bit weird and inconsistent.

I'm definitely stuck on the Asian servers which is fine because I live in New Zealand, but I have heard of others in Asia that are stuck on US servers. I have also heard of some that get different servers dependent on whether they use WiFi or their mobile network, effectively giving them a free VPN.

Some of us spent money on a VPN subscription, so it seems a little unfair to never state that Hutch is against VPNing but to then get rid of the ability to do it without warning.

Could you explain what has been done and how it works?

Comments

• bantel_catbantel_cat Member Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭
    World be good to hear the official line on this. 
    While you are at it could you comment on blocking Clubs on Android emulators?
  • UltimateUltimate Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that’s more a software compatibility issue...(?)

O__VER said:
    Hey @Hutch_Robin, I'm hoping you can answer this.

Over the last few weeks I'm sure many have noticed that using a VPN to visit another region's servers no longer works in Top Drives. It wasn't made clear that Hutch had a problem with VPNing (I think Tim even admitted to doing it occasionally) but something has changed and it's a bit weird and inconsistent.

I'm definitely stuck on the Asian servers which is fine because I live in New Zealand, but I have heard of others in Asia that are stuck on US servers. I have also heard of some that get different servers dependent on whether they use WiFi or their mobile network, effectively giving them a free VPN.

Some of us spent money on a VPN subscription, so it seems a little unfair to never state that Hutch is against VPNing but to then get rid of the ability to do it without warning.

Could you explain what has been done and how it works?
    Odd thing is I’d VPN to US, and it seemed all good, the bonus gold ads were US (Home Depot - anyone from US seen that one?) but when I entered a group, straight back into AS. I reckon something happened due to the club update. That’s my wild theory anyway
    Ultimate said:
    I think that’s more a software compatibility issue...(?)

Maybe, just odd that every other aspect of TD works fine, just not Club.
    I guess Hutch think we might get creative with things like 'Macros' to farm, or maybe i'm just paranoid
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 600 admin
    Using a VPN to go to a different region isn't officially supported. That mostly just means when we make any changes, we don't do tests to make sure VPN'ing works. For Club Events, we arranged to have users from all servers compete in the same map, so it's possible that in doing that it made some changes to results of using a VPN. Region-switching is not impossible though -  I just checked some of the leaderboards the ME Four-Twelve finals, and I saw roughly the usual small amount of players in a region they didn't belong in. So I'm not certain what's happening there.

Similarly, using an Android emulator isn't officially supported, i.e. we don't test to make sure it works (and we're not experts on how they work either). I assume that something in the real-time nature of Clubs means most emulators aren't able to support it, but this wasn't deliberate. The best recourse in this case is to see if you can encourage whoever makes your emulator-of-choice to support this type of server connection I'm afraid.
    Thanks Tim for the clarification.
    Going to see if I can get MEmu to work with clubs as it is convenient to be able to flick to that to do some quick racing instead of having to mess around with my phone... first world problems!
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:
    Using a VPN to go to a different region isn't officially supported. That mostly just means when we make any changes, we don't do tests to make sure VPN'ing works. For Club Events, we arranged to have users from all servers compete in the same map, so it's possible that in doing that it made some changes to results of using a VPN. Region-switching is not impossible though -  I just checked some of the leaderboards the ME Four-Twelve finals, and I saw roughly the usual small amount of players in a region they didn't belong in. So I'm not certain what's happening there.

Similarly, using an Android emulator isn't officially supported, i.e. we don't test to make sure it works (and we're not experts on how they work either). I assume that something in the real-time nature of Clubs means most emulators aren't able to support it, but this wasn't deliberate. The best recourse in this case is to see if you can encourage whoever makes your emulator-of-choice to support this type of server connection I'm afraid.
    If I remember correctly during the ME Four-Twelve Finals I was still able to VPN-travel, but today I can't anymore. In fact I haven't found anyone who still can except some Canadians 🤷‍♀️

if the issue wasn't caused by the Club Update it would be interesting (and important I guess) to know what did. So could you pls also check the leaderboards of the Laguna Finals?
  • ElPurtzoElPurtzo Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Thanks Tim for the clarification.
    Going to see if I can get MEmu to work with clubs as it is convenient to be able to flick to that to do some quick racing instead of having to mess around with my phone... first world problems!
    I am using BlueStacks and MEMU sometimes... both don't work with Clubs for me. Just so you know...
  • EAmaralEAmaral Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I have physically travelled to Europe and unlike the other times I had done it I am playing on my home server (america), so something has definitely changed since last time I was abroad I got to play in Europe server without vpning
  • JacoJaco Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭
    EAmaral said:
    I have physically travelled to Europe and unlike the other times I had done it I am playing on my home server (america), so something has definitely changed since last time I was abroad I got to play in Europe server without vpning
    I'll hope for you they take you back, once they found out you were in medieval Europe. It could be possible you will bring the Spanish Flu into USA
  • MSRZ23MSRZ23 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    I seem to have been placed in another server permanentaly as well. I live in the middle east and used to be in Asian Servers. I dont mind but just FYI.
  • joel24joel24 Member Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    edited June 15
    I live in the middle East too. I've been placed into European servers form the past 2 weeks. And now I got into US server for the qualifiers. 
    #newworldorder 🤣
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Administrator, Hutch Staff Posts: 600 admin
    So I checked the Laguna finals and (as usual) @hillclimber is quite right, there was no more cross-server travel.

I was away at the time so I hadn't realised, but in fact we had pushed out a server update between the ME four-twelve and Laguna finals (which we sometimes do independent of app updates). This server update was our latest fix for the server error issues we were having, which as you probably remember were just getting worse and worse at the time, especially for some players. A side-effect of this server-error fix is that you can no longer VPN your way to a different server (as this was a contributing factor to the error cascade).

It was always a bit of a grey area, so we never explicitly supported it - but I know many of you made us of a VPN to switch servers in key events, and I'm sorry we couldn't give you notice about this change.

You want get a Like from me for that, because my closest friends are overseas and now I can't smarf with them anymore. In fact the game isn't even half the fun as it was before.
    But thanks for the kind words, for checking and replying.
  • jigajiga Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    S3XY said:
    You want get a Like from me for that, because my closest friends are overseas and now I can't smarf with them anymore. In fact the game isn't even half the fun as it was before.
    But thanks for the kind words, for checking and replying.
    Me too.. I miss the AS smarfing community..
    We miss you too @S3XY
  • S3XYS3XY Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it got fixed.
    Thanks @Hutch_Tim

S3XY said:
    Looks like it got fixed.
    Thanks @Hutch_Tim

looks more like hutch was only teasing us 
  • UltimateUltimate Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s one thing to be stranded with our native whales, but now we have the illustrious company of whales from other servers. The joys of barrel size AS.
    As an FYI, MEmu works with Clubs Events now...