General Discussion

Late join thread1000

123457»

Comments

• MrpiratepeteMrpiratepete Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    Tell me your opinion on what difference it makes if I join 2 or 4 hours prior to the end? What advantage do I get? Because Hutch-Support already stated It’s not their business to know what advantage someone gets through this tactic.

Lets take those 2 times as an example:
    In my opinion the joining time doesnt matter if its in the hours range. You will usually get a 3/4 full bracket with either of those joining times. And what if I play more games with 2 hours left (buying tickets) than with 4 hours left? Who should get compensated? The pesky late joiner who has more games  or the lazy "early" joiner with less games?

Late joining in the last minutes to seconds is the problem we have. Not in the last hours.
    Imo none. 
    Thank you comrade.
  • BasilBasil Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    sinner said:
    I can't join untill Sunday for this event. I mean I could join, but I wouldn't be able to play Friday night, all day Saturday and until about 1pm on the Sunday, when I'm home. I have a good hand, certainly good enough for T2.

Should I be punished for joining Sunday afternoon? It's not all about late joining to get an easy ride. A lot of people have commitments that take precedence over this game.

@Hutch_Tim some clarity would be appreciated here. Its hard to play the game , when you don't know the rules.
    Hi Sinner, just give me your account login euh,.. and Visa card . I'll handle your event till Sunday :-)
  • sinnersinner Member Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basil said:
    sinner said:
    I can't join untill Sunday for this event. I mean I could join, but I wouldn't be able to play Friday night, all day Saturday and until about 1pm on the Sunday, when I'm home. I have a good hand, certainly good enough for T2.

Should I be punished for joining Sunday afternoon? It's not all about late joining to get an easy ride. A lot of people have commitments that take precedence over this game.

@Hutch_Tim some clarity would be appreciated here. Its hard to play the game , when you don't know the rules.
    Hi Sinner, just give me your account login euh,.. and Visa card . I'll handle your event till Sunday :-)
    Well you won't need my visa card as I've now stopped spending 😉. Thanks though mate 😂
  • UltimateUltimate Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    01718 said:
    Suggestion:

Dont give players the 5 free tickets if they join 24 hours after an event has started.
    (If this idea has been posted before, please excuse me)

Pros:
    - I hope it is easy to implement.
    - It doesn't punish players badly who join like 12 hours before the end of an event, as they have some time to refresh tickets.
    - It can be neutralized by spending gold (I wonder if 100 gold for 5 tickets might be to cheap anyway), which is an interest of Hutch.
    - It puts a definitive price on late joining. If you late join u almost automatically pay a fee of 100 gold. If u require 10 races to secure your spot, that will be 200 gold. OFC, a decent prize car is worth much more, but if late joining is a gamble (what's your success rate?), an entry fee might decrease the expectancy value and thus demotivate late joiners. I think this is the crucial point here and I'd like to hear your feedback.
    - if players respond to the lack of tickets by joining like 5 hours before an event ends, it distributes their activities more evenly which hopefully helps the server's performance.

Feel free to help me find the Cons!
    How do you join a leaderboard without using tickets or place a ghost in the system if you can’t play? It’s just easier if there was a ticket counter that counted how many races you have done and then set a minimum ticket required to qualify. Even 10 tickets would stop a very late joiner, without destroying the fabric of the TD universe
  • jigajiga Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    Ultimate said:
     Even 10 tickets would stop a very late joiner, without destroying the fabric of the TD universe
    It would stop a very late joiner who is unwilling to fork out for the required number of tickets.  And without destroying the fabric of the TD universe since as we all know ticket spamming to win a prize car is very much in the spirit of the game.  
  • SSVSSV Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    edited July 14

I hate myself for bringing this up because it would probably just lead to even more ticket spamming, but one way to make late joining less attractive is to remove the negative points for a loss. Or at least reduce the amount of negative points you receive for a loss. If this was done it would be more a game of “The more you race, the more you win, the higher your score.”
    I tend to late join prize car events even with a good hand because you know it only takes about 15 quick wins to get to 8th spot with the scoring system as it is currently. Racing hundreds of times over a three day event really doesn’t gain you any advantage....

• TD01055TD01055 Member Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14
    SSV said:

I hate myself for bringing this up because it would probably just lead to even more ticket spamming, but one way to make late joining less attractive is to remove the negative points for a loss. Or at least reduce the amount of negative points you receive for a loss. If this was done it would be more a game of “The more you race, the more you win, the higher your score.”
    I tend to late join prize car events even with a good hand because you know it only takes about 15 quick wins to get to 8th spot with the scoring system as it is currently. Racing hundreds of times over a three day event really doesn’t gain you any advantage....

Downside of this is you could never catch and pass someone if both were playing. Imagine being 9th and easily have the beating of 8th, but he can beat 10th. Like you said would just become a ticket war of attrition. Not keen
    Post edited by TD01055 on
  • 0171801718 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Ultimate said:
    01718 said:
    Suggestion:

Dont give players the 5 free tickets if they join 24 hours after an event has started.
    (If this idea has been posted before, please excuse me)

How do you join a leaderboard without using tickets or place a ghost in the system if you can’t play? It’s just easier if there was a ticket counter that counted how many races you have done and then set a minimum ticket required to qualify. Even 10 tickets would stop a very late joiner, without destroying the fabric of the TD universe
    You are absolutely right! 1 ticket would be required.
  • JayJay Member Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18
    There is no incentive to do anything except last minute join at the moment. You could fight for 3 days be in t1 or t2 then people joined and knock you down. With the boards giving so little rewards it's just not really worth the frustration. Someone that has 50 wins shouldn't lose to so easily to someone with 5 wins. 

If you want to avoid last minute joining just make it so you cannot lose points in an event. If people cannot beat you it wont matter anyway. If you play from the start you get a decent amount of points to avoid losing to last minute joining. 

Ticket spam is already a method people use to win so it wont make any difference anyway.

I know this favors people that can play more but the current system just sucks. haha
  • JayJay Member Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    I somewhat agree @Jay ; however I think there should be some subtraction for passive losses. 

Maybe a challenge/loss should subtract more. 
    Passive loss count only 5 points against or something. 

I am also sure that this points system exasperates the need to be super active at the death of an event. The players who are able to play 15 minutes before the end of an event will always do better.  Whatever region you're in, but worse for AS of course, if you are at work or driving etc, there is no way you can hold on to your tier prize that you should have earned by merit. You will drop out simply because others are racing and the challenger has the advantage always. 

I really believe we need to change the points scoring system, but I have a feeling @Hutch_Tim and the team won't agree because the current system probably makes people late-join and spend more gold/ earn less from farming etc. 

Yeah my idea is flawed. But losing because whales are knocking you down instead of people below you beating you is just frustrating haha. People are above you not because they have a better hand or they knocked you down. You shouldn't lose to people with worse hands.