General Discussion

Event End-Times for Asia Server

AvengedAvenged Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
Sorry, I and some others have brought this up many times but we've received scant attention at best on it. I think it's time it warrants its own thread:

Some changes seriously need to be considered for event end-times for the Asia server. End-times should logically cater to a majority of players in Asia, no? Instead, all of us have to cater to other regions' comforts.

I don't think this is very fair.

It has been said that having Asia-tailored end-times would provide an unfair advantage for either us or the American servers as one side would have advance notice of the tracksets/restrictions. Well, why not have minor deviations to prevent this? It's not like we can't make educated guesses on themes most of the time. Even if they were the same, Hutch can prevent VPN-changing as they have publicly said VPN-changing is not endorsed by the devs, so it's not like Hutch is contradicting themselves.

Instead, those who can disrupt their sleep and wake up to play, have to do so. Those who can't, like myself, (E.g. work, medical complications) simply have to resign ourselves to fate to never get any prize cars.

Case in point:

Ended my 8C prelims in 20th last night at 0100 hours after maintaining top 50 for the day. Woke up to a ridiculous 117th placement when the event ended at 0500 hours. Considering my hand was able to score consistent wins in the 20-50 placements, I really find it hard to believe that I would've been destined to 117th if the event ended at a more reasonable time, allowing me to play into its dying hours. Yes my hand wasn't T1 and I didn't expect that, but I was absolutely looking forward to a Ceramic at least. You now remember that I'm the guy who hasn't scored a single S car in 1.5 years and to even be denied of a miserable Ceramic if I don't disrupt my sleep at 0445 is really hard to stomach.

At the very least, another meaningful suggestion from someone else is to not deduct points for being beaten, and I'm fully in agreement with this as an interm solution. This prevents a rightful 20th placed guy from being used as a punching bag by top players jostling for top 10, sending him way down below to where hands were much weaker.

Sorry (or not really) for the wall of text, but placing at the bottom of most events for an entire 1.5 years, due to walking in the middle of the night being personally terrible for a particular health condition, and also not getting any S cars out of purchased packs - This is all building up into a massive ball of frustration. I like the game and I love the community I'm playing with, so I'll play on, but damn if I ain't going to keep voicing my concerns.

Comments

• RobGripesRobGripes Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18
    A further issue with the time zone is that some players in the region are actually having events end at 9am, whereas others end at 3am. 

Very unfair indeed. I have dropped a tier or more in events for the past 18 months+ and therefore my garage is weaker than it should be. I continue on grudgingly because there's only one top drives but if another game the same as this came up and gave either better drop rates or suitable event times I'd drop this one in a heartbeat. 

AS region only fills 4 brackets in an easy final like BMW where any player could collect five. Maybe the unforgiven conditions the multiplayer is played regarding time zones is the culprit as to why this region doesn't really pick it up

Edit: some areas in AS end at 11am
    Post edited by RobGripes on
  • RWareRWare Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    I consider myself lucky to have the events end at a comfortable time for me.

With that said, I do have a proposition which I think could help cater for all timezones;

48 Events (You know, the non-daily non-important ones which offer Ceramic to T1/T2) = Make these last 49 Hours. Over the course of a month, or shorter, the events will end at a time which will suit someone around the world. And it's not impossible to catch really.

Easter quick fire events, and those 8-Hour events where we hoovered up the Smart Prize cars etc show that this can be done.
  • MrpiratepeteMrpiratepete Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18
    Avenged said:
    You now remember that I'm the guy who hasn't scored a single S car in 1.5 years and to even be denied of a miserable Ceramic if I don't disrupt my sleep at 0445 is really hard to stomach.

..for an entire 1.5 years,...not getting any S cars out of purchased packs...

Sry that I don’t address your “Server” topic but I do have a question regarding drop rates. As far as I understand it, your drop rate doesn’t change. You will always have the same drop rate for a legendary in the 1st ceramic or in the 12th ceramic you buy. This means that you can have such a long thirst stretch. In your case over 1.5 years and that’s absolutely horrendous.

I don’t know if this topic was ever properly addressed or if there were any useful proposings in changing that. But I’m questioning myself: Why don’t they slowly increase the drop chance of a S with every pack where you didn’t get one. (For example by 0,1%). This change wouldn’t be that crucial but it would eliminate the chance of insane unlucky pulls over a long time. It would also not be a buff for whales because they would buy the CF packs no matter what and with the amount of packs they already buy, I don’t think it would change much for them.

I’m playing this game for approx. a year and I got 2 S cars which are both….let’s say not good, but they were useful. But if I hadn’t been that lucky (judging by the drop rates of others, I wasn’t) and had your pull success I would have quit the game.

And before anyone says that Hutch only wants our money, let’s forget this aspect for a moment. Other than that, the guarantee of getting a S car with that slow increase of pull chance over the time would buff sales in my opinion.

• UltimateUltimate Member Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well considering VPN does not function for TD, meaning players cannot travel to other servers, region specific end-times now shouldn’t be a problem. I think it’s a proposition worth considering.
  • MSRZ23MSRZ23 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    I have raised this issue a lot of times along with other since the start. It's really unfair to us. And with the prizeboards being useless, dropping down a tier hurts even worse since cash is much more valuable now.

I really hope Hutch atleast tries to work out a solution to this. Please!

(My events start and end at 1AM or 2AM depending on Daylight savings in England.)
  • AvengedAvenged Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    Avenged said:
    You now remember that I'm the guy who hasn't scored a single S car in 1.5 years and to even be denied of a miserable Ceramic if I don't disrupt my sleep at 0445 is really hard to stomach.

..for an entire 1.5 years,...not getting any S cars out of purchased packs...

Sry that I don’t address your “Server” topic but I do have a question regarding drop rates. As far as I understand it, your drop rate doesn’t change. You will always have the same drop rate for a legendary in the 1st ceramic or in the 12th ceramic you buy. This means that you can have such a long thirst stretch. In your case over 1.5 years and that’s absolutely horrendous.

I don’t know if this topic was ever properly addressed or if there were any useful proposings in changing that. But I’m questioning myself: Why don’t they slowly increase the drop chance of a S with every pack where you didn’t get one. (For example by 0,1%). This change wouldn’t be that crucial but it would eliminate the chance of insane unlucky pulls over a long time. It would also not be a buff for whales because they would buy the CF packs no matter what and with the amount of packs they already buy, I don’t think it would change much for them.

I’m playing this game for approx. a year and I got 2 S cars which are both….let’s say not good, but they were useful. But if I hadn’t been that lucky (judging by the drop rates of others, I wasn’t) and had your pull success I would have quit the game.

And before anyone says that Hutch only wants our money, let’s forget this aspect for a moment. Other than that, the guarantee of getting a S car with that slow increase of pull chance over the time would buff sales in my opinion.

You're right about the drop rates, on the assumption that the disclosed data is accurate. A pity modifier doesn't exist.

Yeah 1.5 years is hilarious when people are posting about getting 4x S in a single week lol.

I have thought about quitting many times but fortunately (or is that unfortunately for my wallet), I've fallen into a very nice crowd of friends to play with so that mitigates some of the frustration - being able to live vicariously through their pulls and victories. Also thought of scrapping the entire garage to buy Ceramics but was talked out of it by aforementioned friends since I do have some nice B and C cars. However... As Hutch would have it, even RQ restricted events don't help much because I can't play in the concluding hours.

Ah, TD.
  • AvengedAvenged Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    SSV said:
    RWare said:
    those 8-Hour events where we hoovered up the Smart Prize cars
    This.

During the “Smart Car” stage of the Corvette competition series they ran 9 events each lasting for two days and starting at 8 hour intervals. It meant that there were start/finish times different to the normal. Maybe one event didn’t suit your time zone, but another event the next day would.

Hands down it was the funnest two weeks I’ve had playing this game and I’m not sure why they didn’t look at running some version of this more often....
    Ah I remember that. I think I had one event finish at 1400 and I thought to myself then, "FINALLY I can play TD like a privileged class player!"

But it still wouldn't solve the problems of prize car finals though. Unless Hutch creates staggered brackets... Or just change the event end time already.
  • jigajiga Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be very surprised if it was not the inhospitable event end times that is responsible for the comparatively low number of active players on the Asia server.  When most people reach multiplayer stage i am sure they say **** that to waking up at 3 am to try win a ceramic and promptly delete the game.   Those who like @Avenged stick with it despite the impossible conditions are truly hardcore.

When you consider the rather large proportion of the world's population (and wealth) that is covered by the Asia sever it amazes me that Hutch have never addressed this issue.  

@Hutch_Robin
    @Hutch_Tim
    PLEASE!!!

We have been getting creamed for nearly two years with the time zone that suits some but not others. Please can you tell us if you have a  plan to solve it, or planning to plan something to solve it? If you want a solution just let me know I will rack my brains day and night until I can think of something! 

The way I see it there is no reason not to solve this now.

You guys said that people who could see the tracklists ahead of time would gain an unfair advantage. The forumers have that advantage now already vs those players who are unaware of forums. So why not just post the track sets on the event pages for all to see? Posting the tracksets allows for no advantage. Players could prepare their cars right away. It would encourage players to log in to the game more often to check track sets ahead of time. It would probably encourage more pack purchases too, as players who have added time to max the car they need to win an event are more likely to do so.

VPN isn't working anymore either so we could have regional time zones or two separate start/end times to suit players. This would help those who play in US and EU also, as some players aren't able to be active due to other commitments at 10pm UTC.

You should lessen the passive loss points deduction also. 

honestly there is so much potential for this game but I cannot fathom why some things about the game are still here after nearly two years.

• grandvachegrandvache Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that VPNs don't work I think this is worth revisiting.  The advanced notice some players would get on tracksets and restrictions is a fairly minimal advantage.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have them all start at the same time so no advantage of knowing the restrictions in advance but then have them run slightly longer or shorter in Asia so they end at a decent time maybe?

As a side not it really doesn't make any difference to me as being based in the UK 10pm if perfect.
  • TGPDTGPD Member Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have them all start at the same time so no advantage of knowing the restrictions in advance but then have them run slightly longer or shorter in Asia so they end at a decent time maybe?

As a side not it really doesn't make any difference to me as being based in the UK 10pm if perfect.
    I agree. Instead of having the same duration, one server's game could be shorter than other regions as see fit.
    The only disadvantage I can think of is that people who travel a lot might end up with an awkward time frame on their side when the event ends.
    @TGPD if i understand correctly I think that would happen anyway. 

The event times won't be changing for them, only their current timezone
  • hillclimberhillclimber Member Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TGPD said:

I agree. Instead of having the same duration, one server's game could be shorter than other regions as see fit.
    The only disadvantage I can think of is that people who travel a lot might end up with an awkward time frame on their side when the event ends.

and their wouldn't be any complains from the players on the asian server if your event durates only 1  3/4 days and then you have a lack of 6 hours until the new event starts in the morning?
  • jigajiga Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that VPNs don't work I think this is worth revisiting.  The advanced notice some players would get on tracksets and restrictions is a fairly minimal advantage.
    and no advantage whatever over others in the same bracket with the same event start time.

I don't think there can be any argument about one server region having advantage over another.  Players on AS presently suffer the compounded disadvantage of not only unfriendly end times but also lower player numbers with a higher proportion of whales.
    TGPD said:

and their wouldn't be any complains from the players on the asian server if your event durates only 1  3/4 days and then you have a lack of 6 hours until the new event starts in the morning?

That is a tricky part yeh. 

Maybe the age-old suggestion of rotating end times still makes complete sense and maybe Hutch should just do it!

Their argument of having end times suit the UK because they need to be available if server issues crop up doesn't hold water. It's 10pm UTC and they want to sleep. Server issues come up anyway and can take them hours to fix regardless. 

Just make it fair Hutch. Rotate end times so it's not just the same group of players who suffer everyday. I am losing tiers and their respective prizes, every single day!
  • Parimal_2000Parimal_2000 Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    Why not keep different ending times for  different continents? I mean if an event finishes a couple of hours ago, it wouldn't matter right?
    Why not keep different ending times for  different continents? I mean if an event finishes a couple of hours ago, it wouldn't matter right?

same starting time but different ending times

read above

different starting times and different ending times

hutch thinks this would lead to a unfair competition since some on other servers would know the requirements in advance. 

personally I think they don't like spoilers

RobGripes said:
    TGPD said:

That is a tricky part yeh. 

Maybe the age-old suggestion of rotating end times still makes complete sense and maybe Hutch should just do it!

Their argument of having end times suit the UK because they need to be available if server issues crop up doesn't hold water. It's 10pm UTC and they want to sleep. Server issues come up anyway and can take them hours to fix regardless. 

Just make it fair Hutch. Rotate end times so it's not just the same group of players who suffer everyday. I am losing tiers and their respective prizes, every single day!
    I am on your side, this needs to be addressed once and for all. You guys need to be able to sleep without being interrupted, even if it is just the subconsciousness! But I think also it will be very difficult to convince them of rotating ending times. Looking at the estimated location of players I would say we have about 77% on the EU server, 15% on the American and only 8% an the Asian. So this will never get trough.

Same starting times but different ending times seems to be best and only solution that you could convince hutch of to try. But you need to get from the community a clear aye.
  • joel24joel24 Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    And to make matters worse, I play from asia, and some players like me are stuck in different servers. I'm stuck in eu server for no reason. This issue needs to be fixed asap.
    joel24 said:
    And to make matters worse, I play from asia, and some players like me are stuck in different servers. I'm stuck in eu server for no reason. This issue needs to be fixed asap.
    haven't you once said you're from the the Arab peninsula? 
    joel24 said:
    Yeah. I was in Oman. Now I'm in India. I mean both those countries belong to Asia.
  • MSRZ23MSRZ23 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping that there would be a discussion with hutch maybe letting us know if they have any plan in this regard.

• AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Member Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope and expectations vs Hutch reality. There are a ton of things to adress at the moment, they dont seem to care too much about.
    joel24 said:
    joel24 said:
    Yeah. I was in Oman. Now I'm in India. I mean both those countries belong to Asia.
    As it looks, players from the Arab peninsula have been assigned to all three servers. Once you are on a specific server you're locked to it for good, even physically traveling to a different server region doesn't change anything. I'm waiting for confirmation from a friend on that...
    joel24 said:
    joel24 said:
    As it looks, players from the Arab peninsula have been assigned to all three servers. Once you are on a specific server you're locked to it for good, even physically traveling to a different server region doesn't change anything. I'm waiting for confirmation from a friend on that...

Yep that is true. doesn't matter what you do or where you go. you're stuck on the same server now. 

Those Hutchians fixed it for a day then it went back like this again. Guess it's low down on the priority list, they gotta figure out how to sell more packs quickly to new players before they burn out first.
    edited July 21
    RobGripes said:
    joel24 said:
    joel24 said:

Yep that is true. doesn't matter what you do or where you go. you're stuck on the same server now. 

Those Hutchians fixed it for a day then it went back like this again. Guess it's low down on the priority list, they gotta figure out how to sell more packs quickly to new players before they burn out first.
    thanks for confirming. 

that single day was just an error, I think. the current state is what was striven for, there isn't anything to fix, unfortunately. 
    RobGripes said:
    joel24 said:
    joel24 said:

thanks for confirming. 

that single day was just an error, I think. the current state is what was striven for, there isn't anything to fix, unfortunately. 
    Well.... That's a total disappointment. I'll be staying in India for a really long time now. The events end at 2:30am. Then with(out) the dst thingy, it'll be 3:30 am.  I'm starting to lose interest in this game now.
    RobGripes said:
    joel24 said:
    joel24 said:

thanks for confirming. 

I quite like that we're locked in, however I wish my compatriots were in the servers they're supposed to be in.

Conversely there are foreign players stuck in our server and have the biggest time zone advantage every day.