Side Talks - The Way You Play

bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have often wondered whether the non-strategy way of playing is ever a consideration for other players. For example.
  • Do you have a nemesis or two? I have 2/3 players I will mercilessly hammer whenever I can. This is due to events of the past. (one of them pushing me to 5th in a CF event, at the exclusion of everyone else. I was 18-0 initially then he found a better hand and decided I was not his bestie). I never have any retribution regrets ever.
  • Do you try to break a players unbeaten run if they are 15-0 etc? Rather than play sensibly and beat those around you who are easier opponents. I used to do this a lot but rarely do anymore. I play the hand in these cases now.
  • If you are winning an event and comfortably clear do you shut down or play to last minute? If I am in no danger I stop, as I do not want to be the factor at the end that stops someone missing out on gold, or a pack, or a prize car. This has been a habit of mine since early on.
Any other personal reasons make your playing decisions?

Comments

• ManUtdTobbeManUtdTobbe Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely have a few people i hit more then others if possible. Don’t care if others are unbeaten. Play until pretty late but if i’m safe at the top i’ll shut down the last 30 minutes or so to let those behind fight it out amongst themselves
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no nemesis, but enjoy hitting the usual T1 suspects when i have the chance. Mostly im easy bait for them so its well in balance.
    When i attack players its about their ranking, i probably dont pay enough attention to recognize who did me bad in the past lol.
    Whenever im safe in my tier i dont use my last set of tickets. I reached my goal and dont want to be the decisionmaker for those still fighting.
    Or i use em really early so they have enough time to counter them.
    Interesting that those above behave in similar fashion, must be some unspoken race etiquette :)
  • TGPDTGPD Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have often wondered whether the non-strategy way of playing is ever a consideration for other players. For example.
    • Do you have a nemesis or two? I have 2/3 players I will mercilessly hammer whenever I can. This is due to events of the past. (one of them pushing me to 5th in a CF event, at the exclusion of everyone else. I was 18-0 initially then he found a better hand and decided I was not his bestie). I never have any retribution regrets ever.
    • Do you try to break a players unbeaten run if they are 15-0 etc? Rather than play sensibly and beat those around you who are easier opponents. I used to do this a lot but rarely do anymore. I play the hand in these cases now.
    • If you are winning an event and comfortably clear do you shut down or play to last minute? If I am in no danger I stop, as I do not want to be the factor at the end that stops someone missing out on gold, or a pack, or a prize car. This has been a habit of mine since early on.
    Any other personal reasons make your playing decisions?

I like to call my opponent nicknames while I play.
    I do try and beat unbeaten players.
    When this happens, it's fairly uncommon for me to lead my way in an event. However the last time did do that is at the El Dorado event around a year back. I wait until my tickets replenish then hit random people, not targeting anyone in particular (this is important) and  consolidate my lead.
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beating people I dislike is one of the only things that keeps me playing, in equal measure with helping people I do like when I’m in a position to do so. 

Not bothered about beating a perfect score. 

In the unlikely event I’m clear at the top of a leaderboard I’ll definitely stop as soon as I deem there’s no threat. 
  • MoogMoog Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm top tier, I'll hit whoever is the top of tier 2, sometimes this means hitting the same person 5 times, sometimes it rotates as their score decreases and someone takes over. I'll do this until I have a gap of ~150 (around 10 tickets worth) and then just monitor.

I don't have a nemesis, I don't know how you guys keep track of who is hitting who! There is one guy who switches from ultra-smurf hand to 5x prize cars who I do the opposite of helping out when given the opportunity. 

For Challenge races, I try to add an extra challenge, like limit myself to no duplicates or picking 5 cars and sticking with them or whatever I can think of to change it up a bit. I also try to collect and use cars that I own or have previously owned.
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't keep a detailed track of who crossed me during the events so I don't even know if I should be bashing someone in particular. 

On IGF however...
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were few people in the past i kept pushing down, but dont see them anymore. 

If i am in tier 1, i am avoiding other players in tier 1 and keep pushing best in tier 2 down hoping they would cooperate and help securing tier 1, however not everyone gets the clue and i ends up fighting for spot at the end.

I have really bad habit of selling upgraded cars common - super rare when new update drops and then slowly rebuilding them when needed. 

• James_PearceJames_Pearce Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greddy said:
    There were few people in the past i kept pushing down, but dont see them anymore. 

If i am in tier 1, i am avoiding other players in tier 1 and keep pushing best in tier 2 down hoping they would cooperate and help securing tier 1, however not everyone gets the clue and i ends up fighting for spot at the end.

I have really bad habit of selling upgraded cars common - super rare when new update drops and then slowly rebuilding them when needed. 

I’m planning to sell my entire garage from Rare down (excluding prize cars), plus a few hundred stock SRs (I have nearly 600 SR cars in my garage) when the next update drops. Need to do something radical like that to keep my interest up. 
  • samagoichisamagoichi Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greddy said:

I’m planning to sell my entire garage from Rare down (excluding prize cars), plus a few hundred stock SRs (I have nearly 600 SR cars in my garage) when the next update drops. Need to do something radical like that to keep my interest up. 
    I did it for the 405 T16 event and bought a shitload of German Premium. I'm not even suffering for this since there's little to no use for these cars actually. 
  • bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greddy said:

I used to do this all the time and actually made notes about those I needed to replace. I care less these days, as mentioned by those above, especially if it frees up slots for other cars. 
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing i recently started, i write down a chart for each events prizeboard. As some may have noticed the prizes are at the same place over the day. This way you can get the Ds and gold first, get the best of the restboard before the event ends.
    Been doing this for at least a year now haha. It's definitely useful when you get to the end of an event and you only have one or two prizeboard picks left. You can prioritise the good stuff.
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    @O__VER I rerember you wrote a post about it, Ive been taking note of the prize board ever since. Never realised before that so thanks
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29
    Nacho101 said:
    @O__VER I rerember you wrote a post about it, Ive been taking note of the prize board ever since. Never realised before that so thanks
    Nice one mate, I'm glad something came of my post. :)
  • StealthFTStealthFT Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I like to collect cars, especially low end cars, and max them. So I never sell/fuse anything that I don't have a duplicate of.
    Since low RQ events have become a thing of the past, my huge garage is now mostly useless. But I still love to collect and max D-F cars.
  • David_FookDavid_Fook Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not deliberate, but I have 2 of every SR car pre-GR. still waiting for a couple golfs. I farm/win enough that I only need to fuse 3rd/4th copies. It has proven handy, for example I had a Caliber ready to max for the previous prelims.

Same as others, I tend to let people fight it out without interfering. I also keep an eye out for anyone who can beat me but choose not to - and team up. Happened a few times
  • PulsatingstarPulsatingstar Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    TD01055 said:
    Not deliberate, but I have 2 of every SR car pre-GR. still waiting for a couple golfs. I farm/win enough that I only need to fuse 3rd/4th copies. 
    I've been doing that deliberately. Missing a few GRs still though. Scrolling through the C class is a nightmare!

A useful filter for me would actually be 3star tuned cars.