Advocating a raised RQ limit in context

2»

Comments

• AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, so another thing I think would be helpful, especially in Club Events, is an autofill hand button to fill up your hand with a valid selection of cars, or at least fill in your remaining slot with the obvious max RQ upgraded pick from your garage. That becomes more important when the maths is more difficult. So now we're potentially considering a second feature to push at the same time.

My big press is to continue to open up the game to new users more effectively, mechanics that make TD less intimidating and easier to get into and play are worth trying for that reason, and autofill is one of those. It potentially solves two issues - those are the best kinds of features. Efficiency is very persuasive.
    Great idea, that means that I don't have to think what to use, the machine will do it for me...
    and then where is the fun of playing and struggling to find MY best hand?
    Next step, You can link directly to our Bank accounts so we don't have to play at all, just take what you need.
    Haha i was thinking the same. This sound really dull, autofill my hand to farm clubs. Somehow the opposite of the original game spirit here. Autofill, press play, get no reward from club prizeboard, repeat.

• xaratsarhsxaratsarhs Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why is it taking so long to solve problems...they spend resources to this ideas...
    so the next thing that we are going to argue is if the auto-fill works well or not and in what PL it will be fixed,
    ok 
  • VatumaVatuma Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Rising RQ limits solves one problem only - this will just make RQ of some cars different.
    But here is one more problem.
    The S-class if very difficult to upgrade. I was able to upgrade S-class only twice within the last year.

Some time ago I've got Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - yahoo! The car is great! But there is absolutely no reason to upgrade it because here is Chiron and my Veyron will always be wrecked.  And I'm talking about one of the best cars! But considering very high upgrade cost I will definitely wait the best car.  Something like Chiron/Sport or Lancia Delta S4 Rally or maybe P1 GTR. If any.

I know, you will argue about the Veyron but anyway upgrading an S-class is a very long investment, I want to be sure that my investment will not be vain. Right now 90% of S-class cars are not worth upgrading. And this is the problem to be solved.
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    autofill and maybe auto fill for tracks.. so they put the best car in the best track every time... no play and no strategy!!! Bye bye Hutch
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 935 admin
    edited October 2019
    Right, so another thing I think would be helpful, especially in Club Events, is an autofill hand button to fill up your hand with a valid selection of cars, or at least fill in your remaining slot with the obvious max RQ upgraded pick from your garage. That becomes more important when the maths is more difficult. So now we're potentially considering a second feature to push at the same time.

My big press is to continue to open up the game to new users more effectively, mechanics that make TD less intimidating and easier to get into and play are worth trying for that reason, and autofill is one of those. It potentially solves two issues - those are the best kinds of features. Efficiency is very persuasive.
    Great idea, that means that I don't have to think what to use, the machine will do it for me...
    I said valid hand, not best hand. It's not exactly a novel feature idea, it's in a number of successful strategy games and RPGs.

The things I'm trying to find solutions for are the more complex maths that comes with a higher RQ, reducing intimidation / overwhelming aspects to make the game more accessible for more users, generally reducing friction that comes with constructing a valid hand for an event with complex criteria. If not this feature used successfully in similarly structured games, what are you proposing to help with the above points?
    Post edited by Hutch_Robin on
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you yet do something for this... your inflaction, you know... sell CF and decrease rewards... you want more players? more clear about ratio of your packs, more rewards or the game annoying because new players cannot upgrade cars (the same for a lot f2p) and rebuild the idea of clubs, clubs not enjoing, it's a waste of time only and you win few resources.... do you try clubs? seem a second job...

I said valid hand, not best hand. It's not exactly a novel feature idea, it's in a number of successful strategy games and RPGs.

The things I'm trying to find solutions for are the more complex maths that comes with a higher RQ, reducing intimidation / overwhelming aspects to make the game more accessible for more users, generally reducing friction that comes with constructing a valid hand for an event with complex criteria. If not this feature used successfully in similarly structured games, what are you proposing to help with the above points?

Show some confidence to the players, we will find the solution to choose the best possible hand with any ranking system.
    Choosing with auto-fill cards (or even just the last card) doesn't sound too fun and at the same time removes the element of inventiveness and personal choices. Sometimes you win over the opponents wrong choice.
    The game is not only to have the cards, but also to choose them in the right way to win the race. If the machine automatically selects them for you, then all you have to do is simply increase the number of options for the machine.
    Simply buy cards so the machine have options.

The problem with clubs is not picking the right hand automatically, clubs have a lot of problems, this is not one of them, we know how to choose the right cards in any given criteria. The problem is that we do not know the criteria of each track to pick the right cards.
    Please fix the names or/and add more accurate descriptions.
    Its not a 3 day event, we have to know before entering what are the condition of the tracks, then we will know what to use without auto fill.

Keep in mind that if you proceed with the idea of auto-fill, you will also have to manage any wrong choice of the system.
    You will transfer the responsibility of choosing the right one to yourself.
    I'm sure you don't want to open this door.

• TimButTimBut Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no.

I dont want to chose any hand in club. I want only to get my money for 5 wins.  So auto-hand and auto-play would be nice to have. 

• Blue2moroBlue2moro Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @xaratsarhs I get your general sentiment and agree. I will be one of those who use such a feature in clubs because quite frankly I loathe playing it. My concerns would be

1- finding open events to play. With a 150 entry limit those will fill pretty quickly with auto selected single entry snipers.
    2- clubs rewards will get the inevitable nerf because of your average players "free" earning inflation
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzman said:
    I'm also not sure about this "fill hand" feature. If the only purpose of this is to make the maths easier after implementing a much wider RQ range, then I would support an idea someone mentioned here before: why not display the average RQ for the event? So if it's let's say an RQ420 event, then the average would show 84 (420/5), so we would know a balanced hand would be 5x RQ84 cars. Maybe you could even display the remaining average RQ dinamically as we try to set up our hand. Sticking with the RQ420 event example, if I've already selected two RQ90 cars, then the remaining average RQ would show 80 ((420-90-90)/3). Hope it makes sense.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing (and I came up with the avg rq idea :).

It would be great if it would display both, avg rq for the hand, and remaining avg rq. If we get to high rq numbers in the 100s this will be a lot more useful than autofill.
    TD42792 said:
    Ozzman said:
    I'm also not sure about this "fill hand" feature. If the only purpose of this is to make the maths easier after implementing a much wider RQ range, then I would support an idea someone mentioned here before: why not display the average RQ for the event? So if it's let's say an RQ420 event, then the average would show 84 (420/5), so we would know a balanced hand would be 5x RQ84 cars. Maybe you could even display the remaining average RQ dinamically as we try to set up our hand. Sticking with the RQ420 event example, if I've already selected two RQ90 cars, then the remaining average RQ would show 80 ((420-90-90)/3). Hope it makes sense.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing (and I came up with the avg rq idea :).

It would be great if it would display both, avg rq for the hand, and remaining avg rq. If we get to high rq numbers in the 100s this will be a lot more useful than autofill.
    Agree, much easier to implement, it shouldn't take more than a day (or two) to fix/test and roll out and could be useful with the current RQ range.
  • grandvachegrandvache Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzman said:
    Infinitely prefer this idea.
  • 0171801718 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    AdxRE said:
    01718 said:
    I just want to say that I would not like a solution with Max RQ being 100, because it would make calculating possible car combinations much more complicated. Lets say an event has a rq Limit of 300 and 2 cars u put in your hand leave you at 157/300. Calculating that you have 143 left for 3 cars and the average rq left is like 48 is just a bit harder than doing the same maths in the current System. 
    Isn’t that a great thing? That would mean many more possible combination of hands that would meet the RQ limit and more useable/useful cars.
    I honestly don't know if having a wider spread in RQ allows you to have more possible valid hands.
    greddy said:
    Yeah now we need math from 1st grade, than you will need it from 2nd grade, that could be too much. 
    You would be surprised how many people struggle with simple calculation skills or feel that crunching numbers is tedious. I like @Hutch_Robin 's suggestion of an automatically generated hand. On the other hand I'm quite skeptical this would work sufficiently.

I think @[email protected] might have a good point with his suggestion to give players more information about RQ left or average RQ left per Card.

So if there is an event with 120 RQ I get the info that the average RQ is 24. If i now drop a card with RQ 29 there is 91 RQ left and the average for the next 4 cards would have to be 22,75. I will now drop 2 x RQ 22 and the average RQ left is 23,5.

• Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 935 admin
    RobGripes, I definitely think we'll make those improvements, too. Challenge set preview is mentioned in this thread, and I'll rework track set names to not just reflect the environment, but the conditions.

As a note, 
    TD42792 said:
    Just wondering what is the point of autofill with the best hand? Isnt that taking all skill and fun away?
    I agree. I didn't suggest this feature.
    greddy said:
    Really like that you increased priority of RQ rescalling, but on the other hand i dont like idea of autofill hands. Finding perfect hand for event is what makes this game great.
    I agree. I haven't proposed a feature that will come up with the perfect hand - nor do I think it would be easy to accomplish.

A note that there are multiple groups of players who work together to secretly share information to give themselves 'perfect' hands, while the majority of players do not have access to this. So players who are already great at the game are finding ways to make it easier to construct a really good hand.
    RobGripes said:
    No more strategy needed.
    I'd be a little concerned if your skill and experience couldn't beat a button that picks a broadly suitable hand!

Some interesting ideas proposed with average/remaining average RQ, too. These could be additional guides that are helpful to players.
    RobGripes, I definitely think we'll make those improvements, too. Challenge set preview is mentioned in this thread, and I'll rework track set names to not just reflect the environment, but the conditions.

As a note, 
    TD42792 said:
    Just wondering what is the point of autofill with the best hand? Isnt that taking all skill and fun away?
    I agree. I didn't suggest this feature.
    greddy said:
    Really like that you increased priority of RQ rescalling, but on the other hand i dont like idea of autofill hands. Finding perfect hand for event is what makes this game great.
    I agree. I haven't proposed a feature that will come up with the perfect hand - nor do I think it would be easy to accomplish.

A note that there are multiple groups of players who work together to secretly share information to give themselves 'perfect' hands, while the majority of players do not have access to this. So players who are already great at the game are finding ways to make it easier to construct a really good hand.
    RobGripes said:
    No more strategy needed.
    I'd be a little concerned if your skill and experience couldn't beat a button that picks a broadly suitable hand!

Some interesting ideas proposed with average/remaining average RQ, too. These could be additional guides that are helpful to players.
    Can you explain the differences of "valid cards and good/suitable cards" ?
  • Blue2moroBlue2moro Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine valid to be any car meeting the general criteria (90s, rwd etc) whereas good/suitable might have some basic notion of 2x wet (so 2x std tyre), 2x slalom/karting (so 2 grippy bois) and 1 long drag (so an MRA beast).