Mobile UI forum change?

Comments

• Blue2moroBlue2moro Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also something I found useful on the old forum that doesn't seem to be an option on the new one is the back arrow top left on mobile.
    If you open a multi page thread and read a couple pages rather than having to back through those multiple pages you could click that back arrow to go back to the list of threads.
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5
    Blue2moro said:
    Also something I found useful on the old forum that doesn't seem to be an option on the new one is the back arrow top left on mobile.
    If you open a multi page thread and read a couple pages rather than having to back through those multiple pages you could click that back arrow to go back to the list of threads.
    You can click General Discussion on the top, something that didn't work before.
    Another thing though... for some reason I can scroll the page a bit vertically on mobile. Anyone else experiencing the same?
  • Hutch_KatieHutch_Katie Posts: 132 admin
    What device @Ozzman and I'll try to replicate after my final updates are added tomorrow.
  • MrpiratepeteMrpiratepete Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5
    Ozzman said:
    Blue2moro said:
    You can click General Discussion on the top, something that didn't work before.
    Another thing though... for some reason I can scroll the page a bit vertically on mobile. Anyone else experiencing the same?
    YEs, I have the same problem. Been using a Huawei mate 10 pro.
    Just tried the new forum design on the smartphone and noticed that this weird jumping and caps thing is still there when you quote people. I hope everyone understands what I mean.
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5
    What device @Ozzman and I'll try to replicate after my final updates are added tomorrow.
    I'm still using my old Xiaomi Redmi 3 pro, with Android 5.1 and Chrome browser. Looks like this when I scroll to the right:

I also miss the notification bar where I can see if I've been mentioned somewhere or received a message. Now I have to click on my profile picture in the upper right corner to check.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't like this an hour ago.  If I had to guess, it's either in the middle of an upgrade or an upgrade broke.  I don't think this is the intended view.
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    It wasn't like this an hour ago.  If I had to guess, it's either in the middle of an upgrade or an upgrade broke.  I don't think this is the intended view.
    I hope so man. It's definitely broken at the top of the page so I will hope the other issues are part of the same problem, and therefore should be fixed.
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it eventually lets me zoom in on things, I can barely read things. 
    Changing the Forum UI is something that was in no way needed (a few tweaks here and there would have been enough) but I'm really curious how the forum will look once everything is fixed and optimized. I do hope it will be an upgrade to the old UI. Right now it's no fun at all and if it would stay that way, I think sooner or later I would abandon it. But as it's still work in progress, I dont have any worries right now.

I recently joined the discord server and lurked there a bit. Overall I don't like to use it, I'd rather stay here on the forum but from my perspective, it seems like there is much more communication going on (from Hutch and Players) and less "strict supervision".
    Looking at how many people are getting more inactive or are even abandonig the forum over the last months in combination with the still ongoing lack of communication, I really fear that a possible worse UI could be the breaking point for many...
  • RawelRawel Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost used to the new look on mobile, but man, on desktop it's hard to look at
  • TD47959TD47959 Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Changing the Forum UI is something that was in no way needed (a few tweaks here and there would have been enough) but I'm really curious how the forum will look once everything is fixed and optimized. I do hope it will be an upgrade to the old UI. Right now it's no fun at all and if it would stay that way, I think sooner or later I would abandon it. But as it's still work in progress, I dont have any worries right now.

I recently joined the discord server and lurked there a bit. Overall I don't like to use it, I'd rather stay here on the forum but from my perspective, it seems like there is much more communication going on (from Hutch and Players) and less "strict supervision".
    Looking at how many people are getting more inactive or are even abandonig the forum over the last months in combination with the still ongoing lack of communication, I really fear that a possible worse UI could be the breaking point for many...
    Maybe that‘s the plan of hutch, so they don‘t have to deal with this forum anymore lol
    edited November 6
    TD47959 said:

Maybe that‘s the plan of hutch, so they don‘t have to deal with this forum anymore lol
    Conspiracy Theories are fun but they are nothing more than wild speculations.
    But I do think that they are engaging less here because of all the negativity, which of course would not be the proper way of handling things. If your toilet is flooding you gotta clean it up, not walk away from it. 
    Post edited by Mrpiratepete on
  • TGPDTGPD Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now there's too much space...
    Shouldn't the designers work on a dummy website first before implementing the new design sitewide? We're not guin... oh wait, this is actually quite Hutch-like, never mind.
    Hi all, update on progress:

- Everything from the staging website is applied to this live site and it's not outputting my updated CSS for mobile at all. Staging doesn't have side scroll and lots of white space.
    - I've chased Vanilla for support on this as we went through testing and mocking up a staging site to avoid this much disruption.
    - The idea behind the change was so we could fix issues and improve the forum when we needed to. With the old theme, we couldn't do this without going through a scope, quote and charge process with the forum hosts. So I hoped by having more control, I could keep making improvements long term and integrate more into the forums too.

Your feedback is useful and I will be able to test and check issues are resolved. If anything is a bit funky on desktop, please let me know as it looks like I can adjust/tweak things for there.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we have the option to change the color theme? It is way too bright and doesnt invite me to come here. Also its hard to recognize unread posts, not very handy that the posting user is found on the far right, easy to miss the line. Desktop version.
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also no notifications.
    And this is so disturbing. Make it smaller and in one row. 

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greddy said:
    Also no notifications.
    If you're talking about mobile UI, notifications are 'hidden' by default.  You have to tap your avatar in the upper right to expose a toolbar containing them.  However, this toolbar displays in the background when viewing a thread.  It's hidden behind the comments.  When viewing the forum, it displays on top just fine.  Just sharing what I've found.
    edited November 6
    HeissRod said:
    greddy said:
    Also no notifications.
    If you're talking about mobile UI, notifications are 'hidden' by default.  You have to tap your avatar in the upper right to expose a toolbar containing them.  However, this toolbar displays in the background when viewing a thread.  It's hidden behind the comments.  When viewing the forum, it displays on top just fine.  Just sharing what I've found.
    I know where to find them, but you must click on your profile to see if you were tagged or got PM. 
    If you have notification, notification bar should pop up or something. Now it stays hidden all the time unless you click on profile, but hides as soon as you scroll or click something. 
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6
    too much white, and again this "disagree" "agree" "like" buttons, can we remove this buttons?
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6
    mauro07 said:
    too much white, and again this "disagree" "agree" "like" buttons, can we remove this buttons?
    I gave you a like, no real need for these. Whats the Facebook button for?
    Post edited by AndreasSimmer on
    Hey all,
    To save everyone endless troubles, I have put the mobile theme back to the old theme and I'll look at styling the old mobile theme to tie in with desktop a little more.
    The desktop theme remains updated to the new theme and I'll look at all of your input and make a couple of adjustments.
    So this morning the forum UI has reverted to the old one?
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like who disagree with me... seems to stay in a kindergarten... as i said it's a shame all this buttons and no arguments!! IMHO
    @O_VER The old desktop theme is gone completely. The new desktop theme had its new CSS applied to it this morning making it look normal again.
    The mobile theme has been switched back to the old theme as there were big issues with the new theme working.
    @O_VER The old desktop theme is gone completely. The new desktop theme had its new CSS applied to it this morning making it look normal again.
    The mobile theme has been switched back to the old theme as there were big issues with the new theme working.
    Yeah I was commenting towards the mobile UI. Should have mentioned.
    Now at work and can see the desktop one is looking way better than yesterday, though jury is out on whether it works better than the old one.
    Our forum hosts have managed to sort the issues on the new mobile theme, so we have re-enabled it.
    I've corrected some of the issues mentioned about with the side-scrolling and too much spacing on items.
    Let me know if anything else seems broken and let me know the device you're on too, so I can try to replicate and test to be sure I've resolved things.
    I'll revisit this thread in the morning to re-read feedback and make tweaks where I can. The navigation breadcrumbs on desktop have already been a dream to use for me!