Late join "fixed"

Comments

• OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13
    Ruvla said:
    You do not like gambling with late join, but you accept gambling with brackets. That is nonsense.

Why do not you demand equally strong brackets with equal players distribution among them by their strength?

Again, take away this gambling part - no need to race at all. Let you just choose your hand, and let server play the races to determine the strongest among all players. And let top 8% get the prize car. What can be more fair than that?

P.S. I do not like that late joining as well, but I just take it as a part of the issues existing in the game. BTW, have anyone here tried late joining recently (past 2 month say)? Was it success (getting prize car with obviously weak hand or with stipud score)?
    There is a difference between getting a prize car in an easy bracket, and getting it by late joining a stuck bracket and winning it with a single race. Also, fixing late joining is relatively easy, while creating similarly strong brackets is near impossible.
    And yes, many are still trying late joining, and win prize cars like that. Screenshots are in this thread and in almost every final's thread.
  • RuvlaRuvla Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited May 13
    Ozzman said:
    Also, fixing late joining is relatively easy.
    - what I have learned is that nothing technical for Hutch is easy. Even when making changes in one place, they usually brake a few things near by.
    Ozzman said:
    while creating similarly strong brackets is near impossible
    - do not underestimate the creativity of the community. I am sure given some time there were dozens of proposals how to split players.
    Ozzman said:
    And yes, many are still trying late joining, and win prize cars like that. Screenshots are in this thread and in almost every final's thread.
    - do you know how many tried and failed? If it is so easy, you can try yourself and get an easy prize car. Just let us know the results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias  -  recommend to be aware of
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruvla said:
    Ozzman said:
    Also, fixing late joining is relatively easy.
    - what I have learned is that nothing technical for Hutch is easy. Even when making changes in one place, they usually brake a few things near by.
    Ozzman said:
    while creating similarly strong brackets is near impossible
    - do not underestimate the creativity of the community. I am sure given some time there were dozens of proposals how to split players.
    Ozzman said:
    - do you know how many tried and failed? If it is so easy, you can try yourself and get an easy prize car. Just let us know the results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias  -  recommend to be aware of
    Late joining is a gambe, of course it's not easy to get a prize car like that, noone said that. But it still happens, evidence is all around the forum. What we're saying is that there's already enough gambling in the game, and this one could and should be eliminated.
  • hifichrishifichris Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I think we need a user representative to summarize each proposal.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ruvla, you last sentence shows you havent read this thread at all.
  • D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited May 13
    I havent had time to read all of the thread and maybe my question has been answered before, but why doesnt Hutch stop the joining ....lets say 24h (just a rough estimate) before end? wouldnt it solve all the issues?

edit:
    I don't see how closing the admission early fixes the problem. You could still get the lucky underfilled/freshly generated bracket just before the deadline.
    depends how much time you got left when closing it. I would go that far and say 99% of the players know exactly when the events start and when they finish.
    now, if you close joining 1h after start or 24h before end doesnt make a diff really, folks would enter regardless. so I think a deadline (with enough time left) would help alot, and the brackets would eventually fill up with you having enough time to grind and upgrade cars.

I mean, what are we discussing here? Hutch folks are very smart people and they know exactly what theyre doing and where the issues are.
    why dont they fix late joining in any possible way? idk, but apparently they sure as hell have a good reason not to.
    Post edited by D3nzello on
  • MoogMoog Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭
    Limit the number of players in each final, don't tell us how many places are left. Join early or risk not joining :)
    Plus add an entry fee
  • baestbaest Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    Fewer brackets with scaled prizeboard according to amount of players in each open-ended lobby.
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    Ruvla said:
    I think I will get lots of dislikes, but whatever.

The core things of the game is RELATIVE strong of the hand in the bracket. If you are lucky to get into weak bracket - easy time with even average hand. If you unlucky even with the strong hand to get into say 'whales' bracket - you s..k.

If you take this as granted, why everyone is upset with late joiners or bugged brackets? What is the difference, someone got prize with weaker hand than yours (and you did not) either for weak bracket, late joining or whatever?

To some point Tim is right, everyone is in the same boat and can try their luck by late joining or whatever.

P.S. Not trying to defend hutch, but rather surprised by the hotness of this topic.
    I think yo need to read the thread properly to under players true grievances. I dont have a problem with brackets that are weaker than others, in fact I think the disparity between the brackets is a good thing for the game. There have been times when I have benefited from a weaker bracket, and the reverse is true also.

However there are players winning a prize car with: a 1-0 (or even 5-0) score or winning with a ridiculously weak hand because of a severely underfilled bracket or last minute join. I think this is the major gripe.

A couple of initial steps that could be implemented:

• Cut off time for entry, as has been pointed out, this partly shifts the problem in that you can still have a small bracket. But it does stop someone from winning a prize car with a 1-0 score (provided the bracket i'snt too small).
    • Alternatively as some have also suggested,  a cut-off time for bracket creation (without the overfilling), and you can no longer join once all brackets are full
    • If you haven't played 5 tickets you are ineligible to claim the prize car.

Perhaps Hutch could use the qualifiers/prelims as a ticket to the finals and open a set amount of brackets accordingly. Not sure what the solution is ultimately, but I cant see how implementing two of these could hurt.
  • StyxingerStyxinger Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    Fill the brackets, 1h before finish join is locked and the latest filled one is split in half and combined with half of a bracket which was playing nearly 3 days. So early joiners go up as a reward and latest joiners get 250  players with points in front of their head. Nobody wants to be in that latest bracket. Everybody wants to be in that first because it's split and you relatively have only 250 opponents.
    If there are too many brackets you can take the 5 first created and 5 last created to mix. 
  • 0171801718 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    Ozzman said:
    1) the most important step is to stop brackets getting stuck with just a few players for days.
    2) announce a deadline for every event (eg. 3 hours before the end), and stop creating new brackets after that.
    3) entry will still be allowed after the deadline, but only until all existing brackets are full. Stop this overfilling nonsense, it's just not fair.
    Yes some might not be able to join in those last hours, but this is something that everyone should be aware of: after the deadline, there's no guarantee that you can join. Use these last few hours to even out the existing brackets as much as possible, by adding players who join after the deadline to the bracket with the less players.
    Simple as that, as I see it.
    While I think that there are still many ideas out there; I would also say that this suggestion is the most comprehensive one so far that, after some consideration, didn't bring up any unacceptable side effects. Now while @Hutch_Gsearch or @Hutch_Tim or whoever won't reply here at the moment, we should think of a way to push the topic. Does anyone have a a good idea? Shall we create and push a comment under the latest Q&A Video? Spam their E-Mail ;-)? Start a petition on some of those weird platforms? We could suggest creating a money-for-gold offer to buy a vote on this idea (just kidding, this is not something I would want!).

Skepticists will say, that Hutch won't listen anyway. I however think that they sometimes do, for example they rolled back on the removal of the daily event (with other sever consequences) and they also rolled back the scoring change. It's worth a shot.

• RuvlaRuvla Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    01718 said:
    Ozzman said:
    1) the most important step is to stop brackets getting stuck with just a few players for days.
    2) announce a deadline for every event (eg. 3 hours before the end), and stop creating new brackets after that.
    3) entry will still be allowed after the deadline, but only until all existing brackets are full. Stop this overfilling nonsense, it's just not fair.
    Yes some might not be able to join in those last hours, but this is something that everyone should be aware of: after the deadline, there's no guarantee that you can join. Use these last few hours to even out the existing brackets as much as possible, by adding players who join after the deadline to the bracket with the less players.
    this suggestion is the most comprehensive one so far that, after some consideration, didn't bring up any unacceptable side effects. 
    If the number of open places in brackets is more, than number of late joiners (those who join, someone might forget, miss, skip or whatever), than it means, there will be brackets with less number of players than max allowed. So in extreme cases it keeps the problem unsolved (say just 10 players in bracket).
    Post edited by Ruvla on
    Ruvla said:
    01718 said:
    Ozzman said:
    this suggestion is the most comprehensive one so far that, after some consideration, didn't bring up any unacceptable side effects. 
    If the number of open places in brackets is less, than number of late joiners (those who join, someone might forget, miss, skip or whatever), than it means, there will be brackets with less number of players than max allowed. So in extreme cases it keeps the problem unsolved (say just 10 players in bracket).
    I guess this has been discussed here extensively and Ozzman has been clearing this up. The last bracket will be created at least 4 hours before the event ends but will then allow players to join until the end. I would say it is unlikely, that the last bracket will be very empty and even if so, it would still be a more transparent predictable outcome for most players.

There is always the chance to land in a better bracket, this solution would work accordingly.
  • G_anlucaG_anluca Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    01718 said:

While I think that there are still many ideas out there; I would also say that this suggestion is the most comprehensive one so far that, after some consideration, didn't bring up any unacceptable side effects. Now while @Hutch_Gsearch or @Hutch_Tim or whoever won't reply here at the moment, we should think of a way to push the topic. Does anyone have a a good idea? Shall we create and push a comment under the latest Q&A Video? Spam their E-Mail ;-)? Start a petition on some of those weird platforms? We could suggest creating a money-for-gold offer to buy a vote on this idea (just kidding, this is not something I would want!).

Skepticists will say, that Hutch won't listen anyway. I however think that they sometimes do, for example they rolled back on the removal of the daily event (with other sever consequences) and they also rolled back the scoring change. It's worth a shot.

You posted this at 3 A.M  suggesting I wouldn't respond?  Come on.

There are many ideas.  None easy to implement but more importantly, none that will please everyone.   The backlash from the extended brackets shows that.  This post will get read and the ideas that seem to have merit will get discussed.  Many of the changes to this game began as player issue and suggestions.

You kill the credibility of a conversation and suggestions when you ping people like that and when you offer up ideas of spamming and the like.
    There are some ideas that reasonable are easy to implement (like stop entering new people 2-3 hours before the end: in three days if they don't have the time to enter, they shuldn't have the time to enter just 5 mitues before end!).
    But i think is not important how much easy is the solution, while is disturbing me the concept that the solution should please everyone! The solution has to be fair. Guarantee an honest play, and make those loopholes gone.
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzman said:

1. Wholeheartedly agree, as it seems @Hutch_Tim does from his comment back on page 2.
    2. According to Tim, there is already a cutoff time after which no new brackets are created. I understand them not wanting to publicize said cutoff time because then you just have the same late-joining issue but for the bracket cutoff time, not the event end-time
    3. I think it's fair that if you want to try joining late and cheese the system, it's only fair that you take the chance of being put into a bracket with people that have joined earlier and fought hard for their place on the leaderboard. Overfilling brackets is the solution for allowing people to join the event after new brackets have stopped being created. Letting them hop into a bracket that is already full guarantees them some form of prize at least. If they want to have a chance to compete with players that have built up points for 2.5 days before they try and join, they need to join earlier. Public outcry over players being prevented from joining a bracket because all finals brackets are full would be astronomical.
    edited May 14
    3. I think it's fair that if you want to try joining late and cheese the system, it's only fair that you take the chance of being put into a bracket with people that have joined earlier and fought hard for their place on the leaderboard. Overfilling brackets is the solution for allowing people to join the event after new brackets have stopped being created. Letting them hop into a bracket that is already full guarantees them some form of prize at least. If they want to have a chance to compete with players that have built up points for 2.5 days before they try and join, they need to join earlier. Public outcry over players being prevented from joining a bracket because all finals brackets are full would be astronomical.
    The overfilling thing only worked with the new points system they had introduced (which they have since rolled back). As it stands people that come into overfilling brackets can still spam their way into T1 (finals) and the poor sod that was in T1 when the bracket was full  is now relegated to T2 and robbed of his rightful place in T1 and subsequent prize. Not to mention all the other players that get bumped out of higher tiers to make way for last minute joiners. Thats not right. So in my opinion this does little to deter a very late joiner, at best it penalises some players that did not late join.
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why opening all brackets from the beginning was deemed a bad idea. Can anyone who disagreed elaborate?

Not miffed or anything, i don't mind the disagrees, i thought it would solve a lot of issues all in one.

In case you missed it a quick recap:

With player numbers known from prelims, open all the required 500-person brackets from the start. 

Players can join whenever they please, but there will be no new brackets opened and so a late-join will go into one of those. Overfilling could still be allowed in case of random numbers increase.
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nacho101 said:
    The overfilling thing only worked with the new points system they had introduced (which they have since rolled back). As it stands people that come into overfilling brackets can still spam their way into T1 (finals) and the poor sod that was in T1 when the bracket was full  is now relegated to T2 and robbed of his rightful place in T1 and subsequent prize. Not to mention all the other players that get bumped out of higher tiers to make way for last minute joiners. Thats not right. So in my opinion this does little to deter a very late joiner, at best it penalises some players that did not late join.
    If I remember correctly, the points system that was rolled back buffed the amount of points you received for an active win, which greatly encouraged ticket spam. That was the time when we saw screenshots of top 10s filled with players with hundreds of wins and losses, having to constantly buy tickets for three days straight to stay competitive. While that does make it harder for a late joiner that gets overfilled to ticket spam their way to the top, it was also exhausting, spending ticket refresh after ticket refresh to maintain your place so you could find time to sleep and not drop like a rock. It was clear that that wasn’t a fun way to play for (I would guess) the majority of players. 
    Spend 6-700 gold, go 20-0 and you are top 10 in most nrackets.
    Thats why overfilling is unfair, and its really cheap to spam compared to just a single cf.
    If i play an event and spend whatever on it, i like to know my competition, not get a whole new set on the final day.
    edited May 15
    Nacho101 said:
    If I remember correctly, the points system that was rolled back buffed the amount of points you received for an active win, which greatly encouraged ticket spam. That was the time when we saw screenshots of top 10s filled with players with hundreds of wins and losses, having to constantly buy tickets for three days straight to stay competitive. While that does make it harder for a late joiner that gets overfilled to ticket spam their way to the top, it was also exhausting, spending ticket refresh after ticket refresh to maintain your place so you could find time to sleep and not drop like a rock. It was clear that that wasn’t a fun way to play for (I would guess) the majority of players. 
    Im not advocating for it, it certainly encouraged ticket spamming thats why I like many others were not in favour of it. The point I was making is that the overfilling method was only somewhat effective with that points system. I don't want to be overly critical, and I don't presume to know all the issues at stake but it seemed like a poorly thought out solution in the first place.

Currently the overfilling brackets do not work and are simply unfair. I say keep the bracket creation cut-off time, but no overfilling  - its unfair and in a way is falsely advertising the prizes.
    Post edited by Nacho101 on
    RobGripes said:
    I don't understand why opening all brackets from the beginning was deemed a bad idea. Can anyone who disagreed elaborate?

Not miffed or anything, i don't mind the disagrees, i thought it would solve a lot of issues all in one.

With player numbers known from prelims, open all the required 500-person brackets from the start. 

Players can join whenever they please, but there will be no new brackets opened and so a late-join will go into one of those. Overfilling could still be allowed in case of random numbers increase.
    I'm not opposed to it, as long as they open enough brackets. I cant see how it is worse than the current situation.
    01718 said:

You posted this at 3 A.M  suggesting I wouldn't respond?  Come on.

There are many ideas.  None easy to implement but more importantly, none that will please everyone.   The backlash from the extended brackets shows that.  This post will get read and the ideas that seem to have merit will get discussed.  Many of the changes to this game began as player issue and suggestions.

You kill the credibility of a conversation and suggestions when you ping people like that and when you offer up ideas of spamming and the like.
    Hello,

I'm sorry for upsetting you. I did not mean to be rude nor did I expect a quick response, especially since I don't know about the time zones everyone lives in (most certainly did I not post anything at 3 a.m. in my time zone :)). My now-while-at-the-moment sentence is probably messed up. Non-native speakers like me often entangle themselves in english grammar, sorry about that. What I meant to say was "while we wait for an answer, we could use the time to think about something, something".

I also want to point out that my suggestions were clearly to be taken lightly, as i used a wink smiley for the spam-suggestion, called petition platforms weird and said that I was just kidding when I spoke about buying votes for an ingame straw-poll kind of thingy.

cheers.

RobGripes said:

I think this is a big change and will require more time to implement. I also believe it is quite unpredictable and that we are dealing with a number of inactive accounts the users of this forum don't know. That is why I believe the consequences of a change like that would be very unclear.
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    01718 said:

RobGripes said:

I think this is a big change and will require more time to implement. I also believe it is quite unpredictable and that we are dealing with a number of inactive accounts the users of this forum don't know. That is why I believe the consequences of a change like that would be very unclear.

I don't think that many accounts will go from actively playing a prelim then miss the finals.  The numbers shown in prelims dictates the finals brackets
    RobGripes said:
    01718 said:

RobGripes said:

I don't think that many accounts will go from actively playing a prelim then miss the finals.  The numbers shown in prelims dictates the finals brackets
    But what about people that only play the finals because most other events dont attract them?
    Still imo the club version with a last set of brackets opening at a certain time, fill up, event closed brings the least trouble. In the first weeks people might miss an event, but for sure they will learn fast and people will adjust. I wouldnt risk playing a final just for the chance of some latejoin edge.

• David_FookDavid_Fook Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    01718 said:

RobGripes said:

But what about people that only play the finals because most other events dont attract them?
    Still imo the club version with a last set of brackets opening at a certain time, fill up, event closed brings the least trouble. In the first weeks people might miss an event, but for sure they will learn fast and people will adjust. I wouldnt risk playing a final just for the chance of some latejoin edge.

100%. This HAS to be considered. The late joiners will moan but will soon get over it and adjust. As it stands there is always a chance to drop into a bugged or new bracket, so people will always try it in their droves.

This is also (Probably) the main cause for server errors in the last minutes, which fucks up the whole event for everyone. This is the single biggest issue in the game right now.
  • StrixStrix Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:
    G_anluca said:

OFFTOPIC
    Many times i was pushed out of t2 cause so many people "work" togheter... Again, is it the way is mean to be played this game??
    I don't recall any specific suggestions for how to change that. Even if you anonymised everyone, people could figure it out, right?
    It might help. And it should be done anyways. I've been contacted on Facebook by strangers who wants me to stop attacking them in-game. I'd really prefer to be anonymous.
  • BoxtaSBoxtaS Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strix said:
    Hutch_Tim said:
    I don't recall any specific suggestions for how to change that. Even if you anonymised everyone, people could figure it out, right?
    It might help. And it should be done anyways. I've been contacted on Facebook by strangers who wants me to stop attacking them in-game. I'd really prefer to be anonymous.
    For many of us, teamwork is what makes the game so compelling. I’d like to be able to use a pseudonym, but complete anonymity would kill off a part of the game that has developed naturally, and is far, far more enjoyable than Clubs. 
  • nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    BoxtaS said:
    Strix said:
    Hutch_Tim said:
    For many of us, teamwork is what makes the game so compelling. I’d like to be able to use a pseudonym, but complete anonymity would kill off a part of the game that has developed naturally, and is far, far more enjoyable than Clubs. 
    Completely agree. Thats why i run under a pseudenom on an empty Facebook account just for this game. Ditched Facebook for its intended purpose years ago.  Co-op and forum is what keeps me going with this game. And those rare moments event requirements fit nicely with my garage (And I should an emphasis the word rare).