June 2020 Roadmap Discussion

Comments

• AslanVAslanV Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    I agree Upper, most of my game last for 1 months maximum, always F2P. 

I am here since more than two years, came back to Facebook to get the Top Drives group information, became active on the forum, and even pay (my first time for a mobile game)

I understand your desire to move the game up, but he is already very nice. 

The concept is simple, but you can go deep in strategies! 

I think everyone is requesting a big update of Quality of Life improvement before going with new features. 

I like the tuner stuff, as it can disrupt a database of cars :) we will be back with our guts

Also, why not using the poling features to ask your players in game? Do their prefer a big quality of lifz improvement or a new features?
    I guess you can do a PI with quality of life in mind only. And not assigning only 20% for maintenance (I am the one who asked for the agile methodology)

My last prefered feature was the filtering!  <3 Love to use all this filters!

And good ideas for the dynamic filtering for event, when you can say a mix of innovative and electric for exemple. So we can have 5 electric or 5 innovative or 1 electric and 4 innovative... (you got the ideas) 
  • juan_cruz_96juan_cruz_96 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    So, my overview about all this is:
    - Retuning & Engine Improvements: I'm happy with all I read here. I'll assume that you were refering to the EBT issue, snowy tracks with all sorts of wrong results, and also I imagine you were talking about tweak the physics engine to make other tunings more usefull, like hybrid engine (because why we have 3.1 and 3.2 tuning posibility, if we just go always for 3.3 on this and that and 2.3 on the other, since any other configuration is literlly useless).

- Polish & Usability: The new UI thing might be a good improvement, since we have been watching the same squared menu since 2017, but I imagine (and I'm glad too) that is lower priority than fixing quality of life and car stats.

Point 1: We actually already asked for this in previos TD Shows; we want an upgrade on graphics, textures, sounds, and also car models as you said. But the most important will be nice looking card pictures, which has its own correction forum (well done there), but you should keep an eye on what we are correcting there (because we don't like it), and avoide it in future updates. PS: yes, I get you can only use licensed photos.

Point 2: communication has only been improving between devs and players. It needs to keep that way, but also improving even faster I would say. From time to time, prioritize adressing issues that every-day forumers are reporting, as a "we listen to you and we work for you to have fun with our game. Here, we fixed X problem". Becuase, lately, a portion of players feel like "they wont fix this, they'll add 500 new cars, throw a final that requires those cars and take your money" although you (Hutch) are not like that.

Point 3: Sooooooooo many ways to improve this. Starting by making matchmaking less frustrating and getting rid of the broken trophy system. Also, given F2P players the chanse to win something cool. This type of players struggle to get B prize cars, they get Epic and Legendary prize cars by latejoining ONLY (wich I'm glad it's not been erased, but reduced nontheless). So the game is not that fun for them, but more of a frustrating scene. I play the game to have fun, not to stress myself.

Point 4: You'll figure it out when you add said stuff. I really have nothing to say about that.

- Flexible Criteria: More than flexible criteria you are discribing norrower filtering. That observation asaid, sounds greate and, although you kind of have being doing that lately (Itlian 90's, convertibles 2015-2018), I think it should go on pair with more amount of events at the same time. You did, quite a while ago, the "The Missing Link" series of events wich requered cars that we never used by restriction (like Volvos and KTMs). I imagine that you could narrow the criteria to this level but also luanching a group of 5 events of 2 days (for example), all at the same time and not counting Tri-Series or whatever, with varying requirements in a way that you may not be able to join all 5 events, but at least 1 for sure. That way you could give use to some unused tags (like ultra expensive), have more players conected at the same time (Point 3 above), and even maybe more balanced matchmaking at some point.

- Tune In To The Future: This freaked out the whole community. I, personaly, see it in a very simple and less agressive way: You have your Porsche, a "Boosted" or "Top Secret Testing" event pops up, you race for 5 different RUFs as a prize for each tier. The tier you get, the Porsche you upgrade to RUF specs (same for Merc/Brabus, BMW/Alpina). It doesn't have to be performancewise, players could desire a cosmetic upgrade too.
    Also, back in 2018, I asked in the TD Show if you liked the idea of having the posibility to change the tires on the cars (more on that later). You then not answered but also wasn't on your plans either to drive the game on that way (I was more than 2 years ahead of you LOL), but now it sounds like you're trying to head over there. About my idea of tyres, I thought it in a logical way. For example, be able to change between OFF and ALL on SUVs or between STD and PER in normal cars. Also, not as may times as you want, but only once and costs gold or something like that.
    I don't know, people are thinking things like this or even crazier about this idea of a new tuning mechanic. The thing is, make it subtle, very subtle, don't brake the game. We want to play Top Drives, not CSR lol.
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please dont go copycat on other mobile games, we dont need another CSR rip off but fix the existing problems instead of introducing new ones.
  • G_anlucaG_anluca Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    Ozzman said:
    What's important for players?
    -fixing the problem of different time-zones (I'm european, can't understand what keeps asian players here)

Massive potential. 2.5 years I've seen this but some simple-to-fix issues are being ignored because the data tells Hutch that the market to focus on is Europe. 

It doesn't seem to have dawned on them that the data is skewed because they started with an environment that favoured Europe and so therefore it is highly popular there, and thus a self-fulfilling prophecy really. 

Are Hutch still really worried about some regions having prior knowledge of tracksets? Fix this damn thing already!

About trackset... they tollerate something i really hate (cooperation between players in a "solo" mode) when knowing trackset is totally useles if not for the first couple of races, and you can know it really easy on this same forum or the ingame one... same things about the prize and restrictions...
    I would let that informations open to anyone or REALLY make impossible to know until it's time.
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fixed bugs... TC and ABS work properly? on wet TC doesn't work i think.. a perf tires with tc can do better instead a STD tires without TC
    Make some sense, my father don't like RWD since the time he did a spin at a red light with a Opel Kadett City =P

STD Tyres in game! Try to spin with a twingo GT (Sadly) 
  • willcf15willcf15 Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24
    Hi Folks,

I know this was beaten to death, but...

I'm terrified of the idea of going through a journey to significantly upgrade a single car. I think that one of the biggest weaknesses in Top Drives is the idea of ubiquitous cars - things like the Caterham R500 or the Moby Dick, where:
    -Many similar,(but slightly inferior) cars get almost no use
    -A large population has one, so it becomes a game of fusions or boring ties if your done fusing
    -If you don't have one, you have no chance of getting above tier 3 in some events

Many of your comments express a desire to reward having a large, diverse garage. The implementation of such a feature would have to be done extremely carefully, or any changes to move in that direction will be completely undone.

Some further thoughts - the idea to raise its RQ is novel, but ultimately, I can't see any situation other than:
    -It's the best at something for its RQ, making it desirable and ubiquitous. You could solve this by explicitly banning it from some events, but that would make for many frustrated players
    -It is an all-rounder, or not the best at anything for its RQ - in this case, I don't see players caring about it too much

I just want to urge Hutch to consider the consequences of such a car very carefully, as one strong, common car is boring for the owners and frustrating for non-owners.

Regarding the idea of being able to apply custom upgrades to any car, and not one particular car - I can't see this having a different result. The game would become a competition to see who has the most custom upgrades on their Hellcat, or El Camino, or 918, or whatever. And if you tried to say that some particular cars couldn't be upgraded in this way, the same role would just fall to the next car in line.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I just can't imagine an implementation of this that doesn't make the game worse instead of better.

• willcf15willcf15 Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24
    I also want to say that @AndreasSimmer 's awesome comment above is in line with my biggest concerns for Top Drives' future. My particular flavor (that I've harped on before) is that the balance should always favor time over money. A system where investing money can mitigate spending 15 minutes per day on the game instead of an hour, or help make up for lost time if you've only been playing for a few months instead of a few years, but not push you well past what you would have gotten by playing instead. The fact that we are chasing players with lots of money spent instead of lots of hours spent baffles me.
  • juan_cruz_96juan_cruz_96 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Actually, in a TD Show they've said that the game had to be simple for newcomers to catch up faster. Also, in the forums, they said that the upgrade system was simple to not drive off new players (paraphrased). So overall, the purpose of the actual upgrade system is to keep it simple, to make it easy and quick to learn, instant fun lets say. 
    Adding new upgrades features only complicates the whole system, so either they're changing their minds on what they want for the game, or they're not talking each other at the office lol.
    For the drop of legendary, I like this that way...

I started another game (rpg) one month ago, after two days I got all the legendary stuff (in F2P)... After 5 days, games was out, boring.

Here, I have a few legendary but I don't like that much legendary, a do prefer B and A, as the food to max them is easier to get! 
  • REALAISREALAIS Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    More tunes will bring even bigger gap between casual players and very active players. Very active players by play time or money spending will allow them to collect and keep all possible tunes for each car where casual player will do only 1 or 2.
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 934 admin
    edited June 25
    REALAIS said:
    More tunes will bring even bigger gap between casual players and very active players. Very active players by play time or money spending will allow them to collect and keep all possible tunes for each car where casual player will do only 1 or 2.
    Yes, and no. It's certainly a designed feature that emphasises long term play and frequent play time, but I don't think it'd be balanced around players earning 'all possible tunes' easily. If I summarised the vision of a version I'm most confident in, it's:

perpetual endgame, of incremental performance improvements for your garage, earned through an endless number of gradually harder single-player challenges.

perpetual endgame, of incremental performance improvements for your garage, earned through an endless number of gradually harder single-player challenges.
    Wouldnt this mean the snowballing gets even faster, top garages could swipe through a lot o the endless challenges without any fuses needed. While smaller garages get stuck at some point

REALAIS said:
    Yes, and no. It's certainly a designed feature that emphasises long term play and frequent play time, but I don't think it'd be balanced around players earning 'all possible tunes' easily. If I summarised the vision of a version I'm most confident in, it's:

REALAIS said:

means money money money.. you need to rethink this proposal...
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 934 admin
    edited June 25

Wouldnt this mean the snowballing gets even faster, top garages could swipe through a lot o the endless challenges without any fuses needed. While smaller garages get stuck at some point
    If we ever have leagues for the higher tier players, we need some way to differeniate rewards anyway - because we're unlikely to keep increasing the base currencies linearly. This can be done through access to other systems, new upgrade materials, currencies that do different things. So players are on a journey to progress to access new parts of the game and are then rewarded for being a top tier player with access to these areas.

Like with most features, there will be no doubt be limitations on how often one can play; time limited, earnable tickets, energy. I have no interest in designing content that can be blown through quickly - that wouldn't meet my criteria of an everlasting endgame.

Yeah, this is a late game player feature - it does not immediately close the gap between players starting in 2020 and players playing since 2017, or players who have invested lots of time and money vs. those who haven't. That's always going to be tough to do. The method of most games: hard rotate out old content - you'll notice I've never done this.

My initial thoughts are there is some balance between better matchmaking (and hopefully greater player numbers), more single player focused features, the path for new players probably becoming easier over time (championships do allow for this. Future, less veteran players will be able to complete the content much faster than current players who are waiting for a new championship), and then big new parts of the game to challenge the growing number of elite players.
    mauro07 said:

means money money money.. you need to rethink this proposal...
    As specific as I've gotten, it's been about a gameplay mechanic/new progression journey, not monetisation.

I suppose there's the general sense of anything we do as a business is to make the product more engaging or popular (implicitly increasing revenue), or to provide value players might want to spend money on (explicitly increasing revenue). But the idea that the feature I've been talking about is revenue first is not true. Whatever big features we develop, it will be with a combination of these three factors in mind, it's unrealistic to think otherwise. We wouldn't have gotten this far without considering such factors. This doesn't preclude a feature being interesting or worthwhile though - especially because every big feature is ultimately trying to make the game more successful.

mauro07, Your last post was about something you think is a bug, and this recent post is just not constructive.
    edited June 25
    and you fix in one day the bug of table prize but you can do nothing for Titanium packs, late join, server errors and more issue/bugs... we ask about table prize, when you win with 3 stars but only one reward on this table but never do nothing... some problems with inflaction?
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:
    we ask about table prize, when you win with 3 stars but only one reward on this table but never do nothing... 
    Are you talking about when there is only one prize card on the table, but you three-starred the race?  Hutch answered that years ago.

If we ever have leagues for the higher tier players, we need some way to differentiate rewards anyway - because we're unlikely to keep increasing the base currencies linearly. This can be done through access to other systems, new upgrade materials, currencies that do different things. So players are on a journey to progress to access new parts of the game and are then rewarded for being a top tier player with access to these areas.

[...]

Yeah, this is a late game player feature - it does not immediately close the gap between players starting in 2020 and players playing since 2017, or players who have invested lots of time and money vs. those who haven't. That's always going to be tough to do. The method of most games: hard rotate out old content - you'll notice I've never done this.

mauro07 said:

[...]
    [...]
    Speaking of late games, did your explore leagues ?

Like a reset every month ? And epending fo your ranks, you have better reward, ?

While writing, i discovered that the intent of club :O
  • G_anlucaG_anluca Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25
    If this is all about long term playing... in three years how many people have reached the "maximum" goal of having all the cars? Cause this is a "collectable card car game"... and this is the main reason why the people play this game: to win packs and collect cars.
    Every year there are new cars from manufacturers and so much cars are yet to come in the game. So the game is alredy virtually endless.
    If you want more players you cannot reach them from other games: who plays CSR want a "tuning" game. Who plays TD want a collectable car game. And reasonably a few people from CSR would like TD for a bit of tuning options, while a lot more people who has played TD will not really enjoy a feature that was NEVER requested.
    If you want more diverse results and usability of cars, the possibility of a tire change is more than enough.

But more importantly, there are so much things yet to fix (matchmaking and physics) and improve (clubs) to really enjoy the game at its full potential that i do not see why introduce something that can backfires so hard.
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey wife and three kids, come alomg for the family ride in our cosy 5 seater.....
    Correct stuff like this first before you move on to other things. Game still feels like a betaversion in many parts.

This is clearly a recaro child seat with isofix, what other proof do you need this is indeed a 5 seater?
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also...... I know it’s been mentioned before but cant help posting it

edited June 26
    Looks photoshopped, @TD42792 . Clearly a one-seater.
    Maybe next time have someone overlook what the work experience kid has done on the car stats.