Skip to content

The Chip System, The Solution Of Rarity Changes

Comments

• JackyQuJackyQu Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JackyQu said:
    Another Argument against "stripping" the promoted Epic would be that a whale could just go ahead and max the car as a Legendary again, which a "normal" player just can't do. So stripping the upgrades would only hurt f2p players and casual spenders. Imo only Whales would profit from such a method and the gap is further widened.

In the end it's luck if you have the car before it's "promotion" and if you manage to upgrade it in the time given. This whole game is based on luck, so I don't see it as that big of a problem.
    It's much more important that cars are ranked in their right Rarity from the start of an update (look GE fiasco) and cars that are much longer in the game should just get their RQ changed while maintaining their rarity.
    I have to disagree about “Only whales will benefit from this”. 
    This system is for balancing purposes and what it do is exactly opposite of what you said. If a maxed A class goes up, players got their B Food returned and everyone has to upgrade them again with A Foods which means if someone wants to max it again they have to use another 15 A, sounds fair. 
    This system is actually protecting F2P as F2P has a much lower chance to pull it when it was (probably) a nice A car. Then it will be almost impossible to pull it after it went up (And they have to fight with tons of almost free maxed S lol) Meanwhile, people who paid will own probably several of those and enjoying the advantages of turning 15 B food to 15 A food
    And I have to disagree with your view of things. I think we are both looking at the problem from a different direction.
    Me, looking at the problem from a casual spender perspective.
    You, looking at the problem from a whale perspective. (Don't take this wrong please, I'm just assuming you are one based on a few comments from quite a while ago)

Do you even know how hard it is to upgrade, yet alone max a Legendary for a "normal" player? I haven't managed to do so in more than 1.5 years.
    I did managed to upgrade 2 Epics which were promoted to Legendaries and without those two I would be far less competetive in certain events (Though even maxed both are still not really good). And one of those could have been easily averted if it just wasn't released incorrectly.
    In no way whatsoever would it "protect" F2P players if you take away their only chance to max a Legendary. And as I said before, a whale can "easily" (a little bit exaggerated) max the now stock Legendary again.
    So, Hutch should keep upgrades for F2P and Remove upgrades for whales? You are still forgetting how much more Maxed S others will get. No one should have a Maxed Legendary with only 15 B Food. No matter how strong the person are, they still have to spent extra 15 A to max the car again. You can’t just say that “it is too easy for them to do so” and just dislike the system and says this system only benefits whales 

I don’t know what’s your standard of a “whale” but I really don’t spent much on this
  • MrpiratepeteMrpiratepete Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JackyQu said:
    So, Hutch should keep upgrades for F2P and Remove upgrades for whales? 
    No, I never said this.
    JackyQu said:
    So, Hutch should keep upgrades for F2P and Remove upgrades for whales? 
    No, I never said this.
    This is what I think as the only solution for your question. If the original Free Maxed S system remains, whales will destroy F2P and normal players with much more free maxed S. If we’re using the new system, then you think it is too hard for F2P to get a Maxed S
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JackyQu said:
    JackyQu said:
    Another Argument against "stripping" the promoted Epic would be that a whale could just go ahead and max the car as a Legendary again, which a "normal" player just can't do. So stripping the upgrades would only hurt f2p players and casual spenders. Imo only Whales would profit from such a method and the gap is further widened.

In the end it's luck if you have the car before it's "promotion" and if you manage to upgrade it in the time given. This whole game is based on luck, so I don't see it as that big of a problem.
    It's much more important that cars are ranked in their right Rarity from the start of an update (look GE fiasco) and cars that are much longer in the game should just get their RQ changed while maintaining their rarity.
    This system is for balancing purposes and what it do is exactly opposite of what you said. If a maxed A class goes up, players got their B Food returned and everyone has to upgrade them again with A Foods which means if someone wants to max it again they have to use another 15 A, sounds fair. 
    This system is actually protecting F2P as F2P has a much lower chance to pull it when it was (probably) a nice A car. Then it will be almost impossible to pull it after it went up (And they have to fight with tons of almost free maxed S lol) Meanwhile, people who paid will own probably several of those and enjoying the advantages of turning 15 B food to 15 A food
    And I have to disagree with your view of things. I think we are both looking at the problem from a different direction.
    You, looking at the problem from a whale perspective. (Don't take this wrong please, I'm just assuming you are one based on a few comments from quite a while ago)

Do you even know how hard it is to upgrade, yet alone max a Legendary for a "normal" player? I haven't managed to do so in more than 1.5 years.
    I did managed to upgrade 2 Epics which were promoted to Legendaries and without those two I would be far less competetive in certain events (Though even maxed both are still not really good). And one of those could have been easily averted if it just wasn't released incorrectly.
    In no way whatsoever would it "protect" F2P players if you take away their only chance to max a Legendary. And as I said before, a whale can "easily" (a little bit exaggerated) max the now stock Legendary again.
    So, Hutch should keep upgrades for F2P and Remove upgrades for whales? You are still forgetting how much more Maxed S others will get. No one should have a Maxed Legendary with only 15 B Food. No matter how strong the person are, they still have to spent extra 15 A to max the car again. You can’t just say that “it is too easy for them to do so” and just dislike the system and says this system only benefits whales 

I don’t know what’s your standard of a “whale” but I really don’t spent much on this

Players also shouldn't have something taken away from them just because of a balance change, If someone has spent time and money to get a superlight and the fuse material to max it then it should be theirs to keep, It would be a surefire way to annoy a large portion of the playerbase if they did that.
    JackyQu said:
    JackyQu said:

Players also shouldn't have something taken away from them just because of a balance change, If someone has spent time and money to get a superlight and the fuse material to max it then it should be theirs to keep, It would be a surefire way to annoy a large portion of the playerbase if they did that.
    The superlight is still in your garage, fuse material gets returned and maybe the money you spend will be refunded.

How large the playerbase will be annoyed depends on how many people have already own it.
    JackyQu said:
    This is what I think as the only solution for your question. 
    The solution for my question would be to not release an update with ~10 epics with incorrect stats that will be promoted to Legendary after 1 Week. But that seems to be too much to ask for.
    JackyQu said:
    If the original Free Maxed S system remains, whales will destroy F2P and normal players with much more free maxed S.
    Based on my playing experience, this never happend. I have rarely to never encountered someone fielding multiple "free" maxed Legendaries.
    JackyQu said:
    If we’re using the new system, then you think it is too hard for F2P to get a Maxed S
    If we are using the new system it will be as hard to max a Legendary as it was before. The only difference is that you are taking away a maxed Legendary from a (F2P) player that wouldn't be able to max it again.
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 940 admin
    edited August 7
    Just to weigh in briefly, don't lose sight of the overall problem to solve. Here's the scenario: A correction increases a Rare performance car to Legendary perforamnce (or vice versa), how could we handle it to minimise disruption to players and the economy?

Fusion tokens is an entire feature, but only solves half of the issue, it doesn't get rid of the abundance of now Legendaries in the economy. Ideally, we want to solve for the fusion issue to make it a better experience and the 'how many are in the game' issue of a car increasing in rarity, if we are to be able to implement any possible correction that comes in.
  • xaratsarhsxaratsarhs Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Just to weigh in briefly, don't lose sight of the overall problem to solve. Here's the scenario: A correction increases a Rare performance car to Legendary perforamnce (or vice versa), how could we handle it to minimise disruption to players and the economy?

Fusion tokens in an entire feature, but only solves half of the issue, it doesn't get rid of the abundance of now Legendaries in the economy. Ideally, we want to solve for the fusion issue to make it a better experience and the 'how many are in the game' issue of a car increasing in rarity, if we are to be able to implement any possible correction that comes in.

so changing the just the rq and not the rarity wouldn't solve this one?
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 940 admin
    Go through the scenario I outlined with any idea you think of. A rare car with a Legendary 90 RQ is not something I would put in the game. Whether or not you agree, you should understand my position is that would definitely be more harmful to the game that not making the correction. It's not a viable solution.
    Go through the scenario I outlined with any idea you think of. A rare car with a Legendary 90 RQ is not something I would put in the game. Whether or not you agree, you should understand my position is that would definitely be more harmful to the game that not making the correction. It's not a viable solution.
    Yes, in this special occasion that you mention it would be absurd. 
    But if we are talking about Epics going up to be Legendaries then it should not be a problem. Why else do we have quite some Epics to which this applies
  • AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we got a rare car promoted to legendary something went very wrong before and i think this is an unlikely case. Havent seen such a case in all my TD time, and given Hutch has also support of a competent players team for corrections i cant see this happening in the future.
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In such a case before you changed the car to reflect the original intent rather than push it far higher in rarity IIRC (Durango was supposedly good enough to be an epic or something like that). A rare car becoming legendary would have huge consequences no matter the approach you take here and is such a fringe case that it'd require a tailored handling. I wouldn't consider it a factor in this discussion.

I stand by rq change while preserving rarity. You've previously shown you won't upgrade a car in a way that would jump multiple rarities higher and I think this should not change.
    While the current system isn't perfect i believe it should stay as it is, there shouldn't be that many cars currently in the game that need to change rarity that it'll have that much of an impact, "the superlight and the furai probably are the closest but due to poor mra are acceptable to remain epics" the main concern should be to ensure accuracy when introducing new cars to eliminate further changes.

Do we even have this scenario or are we just making theoretical conversation?
    I don't remember any case like this, except very low end cars that after the correction jumped more than one rarity up and I don't think that anyone here have in mind ultras and below rarities changes.
    none cares about Leoni moving up and down rarity and I thing we had enough of them without any complain.
    Everyone is concerned about epics moving to legendarily and the imbalance that brinks in the game.

If we ever have this scenario: a rare moving to legend the "changing rq/rarity" issue would be the last thing that you will have to face.

None said that the correction shouldn't be a priority, obviously we want the cars as more accurate is possible but, once you release them in a specific rarity especially for epics they should remain in that rarity.
    Just that, only for epics and when they move up, EVERYONE will accept that assumption like we did with the Mitsubishi or the Audis.

Unless there is something else that you can share with us, about the "economy" for example.

And I would like to say that I have benefit a lot by all those moves, already 4 maxed legends by this moves, still feels wrong though.

• AslanVAslanV Posts: 826 ✭✭✭
    I think the rare to legendary is just an hard core explaination and not a real case .

Let say the caterham D STD go to legendary (yes not likely) how many people will get a maxed legendary? How many legendary it will introduce at once ?

All the existing players will have this legendary,which is not so much legendary then. This is why the VW W12 went up quickly,to limit the amount of it in game. Even if the correction is still not applied.

JackyU, a whale is a heavy spender on the game.

Even as a F2P I prefer the chip systems. And the one against, I feel like you are the one which did get the chance to get maxed S due to this change, correct ?

For the Caterham, I am quite sure it's stat are good. I think it is more a ElCamino discussion for it (it even win stock again the S levente on some specific track)
    Furai, at least you have the slick. And this is the point of all slk cars. Overpowered for there RQ.
  • juan_cruz_96juan_cruz_96 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    ... Ideally, we want to solve for the fusion issue to make it a better experience and the 'how many are in the game' issue of a car increasing in rarity, if we are to be able to implement any possible correction that comes in.
    The first and more obvious idea that comes to my mind, is to make the announcement of the stats corrections and rarity changes way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay earlier than you are doing right now, that is, as soon as you aproved them and implemented them in the newest prototype build, like you are 100% sure it's gonna make it into the game. That helps players to prepare themselves for this. they can start searching due car on packs, they start investing fuses into this car before it goes up in rarity, they can sell the car before it goes down in rarity and gain economically, and many other good things. Always thinking in the case that you are 100% sure it's going to be done, no "oh actually this car was fairly right, no correction for you" thing.

Regarding this, and with no means to fight, just analyzing your comment. With this idea, all the Epics higher than 79 RQ should go Legendary in the next update, no matter how much harmfull it will be for players. It's already unfare that a M5 owner has to fight a S8 Plus owner, just because this last one can max his car in a fraction of the time that the first one does (always assuming a F2P encounter, whales don't give a damn, they have the resources). And all this trouble because of an absurd idea of "this car is too common to deserve the Legendary badge, is not that special", the same idea that was ignored at the time of introducing the M5 into the game (wich in my opinion should have been Epic aswell). This is an example of many cases in Top Drives. 

The most drastical change that I can think of, is the Opel Manta 400 Rally, wich should be wearing OFF-ROAD tyres and be medium ground clearance. If this is corrected, the car would jump from Rare to Ultra Rare, the highest jump in rarity in Top Drives in my 3 years playing. Right now is a fairly easy-to-find car, players can pile tons of them in their garages, but if it does goes up, you would have a hard time finding one, and it would still be a heavy weight contender in off-road events, it wouldn't lose usability as some Epics going Legendary. You obviously can't put a 53 RQ Rare car into the game, is ridiculous and game-breaking. But you can publish this change 2 months before the next update, and players would have all the time in the world to max at least one. You may find a crazy guy like me, who has 9 Mantas in his garage and would benefit from this at an absurd level, but I'm here to talk about rarity change unfairness, not economy exploits, lol.

I hope my point helps to see the discussion a little better.
    Without my point of view,

The first problem about announcing in advance the car correction will be announcing way in advance a major update. This is not how the communication is done.

The second problem, as a F2P player, I don't have 15B laying around to up a A which will go up in rarity... Only bigger Garage have it. It will just allow the stronger garage to have a maxed S for cheaper.

With my point of view,

Yes they should communicate more in advance for the new release.

But I am fine for the late announcement for the change of rarity... to avoid the person who can to max the car going up. That's said, I have 15C waiting just in case, and I did up the Porsche Cayman 2times before it became a A (636 now, missing one grip update to destroy all the B Boxster/Cayman/718)

On a personal note, the Manta may only be a C as usually the Rally car with off tyres lose some grip. Plus the poor MRA put it below the Alfetta B (which not the best OFF) and maybe closer to the 131 Rally. But yeah will be 47-53 in RQ (and I will save some, as don't make the rules, I can just use them)

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fusion tokens is an entire feature, but only solves half of the issue, it doesn't get rid of the abundance of now Legendaries in the economy. Ideally, we want to solve for the fusion issue to make it a better experience and the 'how many are in the game' issue of a car increasing in rarity, if we are to be able to implement any possible correction that comes in.
    Addressing the first part...changing the car to something else (ala Durango GT) worked in the past, although I really wanted the Durango SRT in the game.

To the second part, have you entertained the idea of creating another tier, to help break up the number of Legendaries?
    mauro07 said:
    maybe you need to check before release update with new cars.. and you will have no errors in description or stats or rq of car... you know, there are some control to do before
    They are doing it this time, with more people, it was mentionned in one tread (I think)

For the above Legendary, it can make sense, as some legendaries are not so legendaries. 

For exemple the the Cadillac ATS-V in the USA, or the Porsche Macan, or Giulia Quadrifolio and on and on, even some 911. Adn even in-game, you are not as much please as a Lamborghini Centenario...

But changing this, good luck ! :smile:

• thebigbadwolfthebigbadwolf Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    Are your thinking of any specific car? The C class slick tyre Jaguar Trans-Am, as an example? 
    Are your thinking of any specific car? The C class slick tyre Jaguar Trans-Am, as an example? 
    I've forgotten about that one. Another example of a car jumping 2 rarities after corrections. Right now, we can just guess about if this corrections made it to the game, but we keep piling cars juts in case  :D

Regarding HeissRod's idea, I think it would be a good option to just move the Epic rarity up to 85. At that RQ, cars start getting interesting, while at 80, you still have Epic numbers in some maxed ones (GIulia Quadrifoglio for example).
    edited August 8
    For the hard core change, like the Durango and the Manta, would it be better to just create a new car ?

I am speaking only for big up in rarity.

I mean, keep the Manta in PER tyres and create a new one with off tyres ?
    Get the GT Durango and create also the SRT ?

Big changes occurs because there two versions which are mismatch... So why not create the two versions ?

Or there is a licensing problem?

May not work for the Volvo 850 though
  • 0liver770liver77 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    AslanV said:
    For the hard core change, like the Durango and the Manta, would it be better to just create a new car ?

Big changes occurs because there two versions which are mismatch... So why not create the two versions ?

I really like this idea, of just not change cars stats, rarities or RQ. It's a game. Stat's don't need to be real. Living with wrong stats is much better than changing it.
  • goshkogoshko Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    0liver77 said:
    AslanV said:

I really like this idea, of just not change cars stats, rarities or RQ. It's a game. Stat's don't need to be real. Living with wrong stats is much better than changing it.
    Can’t stress this enough. Imo game balance>correcting stats at all costs
  • GymopenGymopen Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    Living with wrong stats is much better than changing it.
    I'm sure that the folks over at the Car Corrections side of the forum would appreciate that statement.
    The problem is that Hutch is willing to deliver a hard-core, real-life-physics simulation game. I understand if the balancing is made in something like Asphalt, but here, if a Bugatti Veyron doesn't win in a twisty circuit against a Pagani Zonda in real life (Top Gear) then Hutch is pointing to represent that same situation in the game (which actually doesn't happend, because Bugattis have overrated handling). So, beyond personal preferences, we are here to help Hutch achieve that objective, since we enjoy playing the game. Otherwise, we'd be playing Asphalt 9, where Chirons are in their own league. 

Driving this conversation back to the core theme, I got another idea as poorly thought after as the previous ones: what about just removing the car changing rarity from the player's garage and giving them a pack that replaces due car? It works for every type of rarity change and does (almost) no damage to the player. For example, a Legendary going Epic, bye bye to your Legendary, hello Legendary pack. A Common car impossibly going Rare or Super Rare, bye bye Common, hello Plastic pack. And the fuses that would have been present on the removed car are transferred to the replacing one that you got from the pack. Of course, the car you pull from the pack will have the same RQ as the one removed. If your Giulia RQ80 goes epic, and was maxed, bye bye Giulia, hello maxed Panamera lol. 

I'm in brainstorm mode, I'm just throwing ideas that look like they work at first glance and trying to find the critical flaws with you guys. I imagine you have this same moments at Hutch, Robin, don't you? 
    Not a good Idea, imagine having the SLS as a legendary (it was) and they pulled it away from your garage for a random pack even for an other legy (atom rq 80) how many finals this would cost you? 3?4?
    The problem is that Hutch is willing to deliver a hard-core, real-life-physics simulation game. I understand if the balancing is made in something like Asphalt, but here, if a Bugatti Veyron doesn't win in a twisty circuit against a Pagani Zonda in real life (Top Gear) then Hutch is pointing to represent that same situation in the game (which actually doesn't happend, because Bugattis have overrated handling). So, beyond personal preferences, we are here to help Hutch achieve that objective, since we enjoy playing the game. Otherwise, we'd be playing Asphalt 9, where Chirons are in their own league. 

Driving this conversation back to the core theme, I got another idea as poorly thought after as the previous ones: what about just removing the car changing rarity from the player's garage and giving them a pack that replaces due car? It works for every type of rarity change and does (almost) no damage to the player. For example, a Legendary going Epic, bye bye to your Legendary, hello Legendary pack. A Common car impossibly going Rare or Super Rare, bye bye Common, hello Plastic pack. And the fuses that would have been present on the removed car are transferred to the replacing one that you got from the pack. Of course, the car you pull from the pack will have the same RQ as the one removed. If your Giulia RQ80 goes epic, and was maxed, bye bye Giulia, hello maxed Panamera lol. 

I'm in brainstorm mode, I'm just throwing ideas that look like they work at first glance and trying to find the critical flaws with you guys. I imagine you have this same moments at Hutch, Robin, don't you? 
    Terrible idea, who in their right mind would be happy losing for example a maxed superlight or furai and getting a maxed 300 srt8?
  • chemineecheminee Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Terrible idea, who in their right mind would be happy losing for example a maxed superlight or furai and getting a maxed 300 srt8?
    If it would happen to even a couple of my epics i would leave the game