Car Talk: Best homologation examples

Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
What the rarest / most interesting homologation special?
In-game example: Citroen BX 4TC

In motorsports, homologation is the approval process through which a vehicle, a race track, or a standardised part is required to go for certification to race in a given league or series. The regulations and rules that must be met are generally set by the series' sanctioning body.

Comments

• exarhoexarho Posts: 82 ✭✭
    In game example
    favorite example
  • mikesmikes Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Le Mans one-offs from the 90s were cool (R390, GT-ONE, CLK GTR, 911 GT1), but I think WRC did the most to create great cars. If it weren’t for homologation, we never would have had the Lamcer EVO, WRX STI, Celica GT-FOUR, etc. 
  • NumarNumar Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Maserati MC12 is a limited production two-seater sports car produced by Italian car maker Maserati to allow a racing variant to compete in the FIA GT Championship. The car entered production in 2004, with 25 cars produced. A further 25 were produced in 2005, making a total of 50 cars available for customers, each of which was pre-sold for 600,000 (Wiki)

V12 6L 630hp 1330kg :shock:

The best of the best

To homologate the 205 T16 ("Turbo 16" in France) in Group B rally car Peugeot had to produce 200 road-going examples. According to the Group B regulations, these had to be based on a current production road car. Peugeot decided to base the Group B rally car on the two door version of the 205.
  • Hutch_GsearchHutch_Gsearch Posts: 2,586 admin
    You know, that is totally not a thing in the US.  To make sure I understand this, a Homologation special is a car offered to the public in order to be used in a particular type of race that requires it to be sold to the public in order to qualify to race?  Do I have this right?
  • flight4590flight4590 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    Gsearch said:
    You know, that is totally not a thing in the US.  To make sure I understand this, a Homologation special is a car offered to the public in order to be used in a particular type of race that requires it to be sold to the public in order to qualify to race?  Do I have this right?
    Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Daytona are two very notable examples, and potentially the only real examples...
  • Yuk4wooYuk4woo Posts: 43

That’s the strangest homologation car in the world, and it’s also very bad-looking, but without this Peugeot wouldn’t race in WRC.
  • TheWikiaWriter12TheWikiaWriter12 Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    metro 6r4 homologation ile ilgili grsel sonucu
    I'm pretty sure that this is the homologation version of the Metro 6r4 Rally Car. 
    Still though, nothing beats the 190E Evo II
  • MettitiMettiti Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still though, nothing beats the 190E Evo II
    Yuk4woo said:

That’s the strangest homologation car in the world, and it’s also very bad-looking, but without this Peugeot wouldn’t race in WRC.
    No way this car is a 206 RC who can be compare to a golf Gti , peugeot was in WRC already and did make a lot of WRC celebration model called RC...
  • MettitiMettiti Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuk4woo said:

That body kit on the front fml
  • mikesmikes Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gsearch said:
    Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Daytona are two very notable examples, and potentially the only real examples...
    A lot of American cars in the 1960s existed because of racing rules like this as well. The Copo and ZL-1 Camaro and Ford 428 Cobrajet for drag racing. The Camaro Z/28 and Cuda AAR for Trans Am, etc. 
  • MRLoseMRLose Posts: 43
    In game example: Bmw M3 ( became The flagship series of bmw's. Who knew?)
    Favorite Example: Mclaren F1 GTR Long Tail ( made like 5 of these special verions?)
    MRLose said:
    In game example: Bmw M3 ( became The flagship series of bmw's. Who knew?)
    Favorite Example: Mclaren F1 GTR Long Tail ( made like 5 of these special verions?)
    That long taik just shouts “I AM FAST” I love the F1 GTR
  • My personal favorite : Lancia Delta S4 Stradale
    Image result for lancia delta s4 stradale
    This is the homologation car of the mad, shockingly fast, Group B Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car.
    It was the car that killed Henri Toivonen in fatal crash more than 30 years ago, resulting the ban of Group B rallying in 1987. The Delta S4 has a twincharger system, so it s basically always on boost at any RPM. It could do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, literally anywhere.

In order to enter the Group B Rally, it needs to be homologated. So Lancia made 200 units of these things, and its really pricey that time. It has the same 4WD system, same engine, same structure, but it was alot tamer than the original. 0-60 in 6 seconds and a top speed of 140 mph. Yes its slow, but just look at it...
  • MudQMudQ Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    My favourite car,  I own one with the same colors but haven't driven it for a long time