Top Drives Patch Notes 3.5 Discussion (6th March, 2018)

Comments

• HuacanachaHuacanacha Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bucks73 said:
    All sounds great, but could someone explain the active points a little better, maybe using a real in game experience? 

I think i get it it and I know what it’s targeted at stopping but still keen to get my head around it. 
    If you win when attacking you might normally get +16 points and your opponent -16 (when your tournament scores are similar). Now you will get +19 points and your opponent -16. If you play someone with much lower score you may win by +13 now instead of +10. This rewards active offensive play.

If someone attacks you and loses you still get +16 and -16 respectively.

The effect is that the average score gradually increase the more offensive wins people have. If players average 33 wins the average score will be 100. In the old system it was 0 so in a top heavy group people could enter late and get into prize brackets with a single +16 win. Now it will be much less likely to be able to do that.
  • Bucks73Bucks73 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    Bucks73 said:
    All sounds great, but could someone explain the active points a little better, maybe using a real in game experience? 

I think i get it it and I know what it’s targeted at stopping but still keen to get my head around it. 
    If you win when attacking you might normally get +16 points and your opponent -16 (when your tournament scores are similar). Now you will get +19 points and your opponent -16. If you play someone with much lower score you may win by +13 now instead of +10. This rewards active offensive play.

The effect is that the average score gradually increase the more offensive wins people have. If players average 33 wins the average score will be 100. In the old system it was 0 so in a top heavy group people could enter late and get into prize brackets with a single +16 win. Now it will be much less likely to be able to do that.
    Ok that makes sense! Thanks for that!
  • Hutch_DemorphicHutch_Demorphic Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bucks73 said:

When you race with tickets, you will get your normal points for a win, plus 3 bonus points.
    Points will remain the same if you win when challenged by another player, lose, or draw.

(This can definitely be reduced to a more concise explanation if anyone else can give it a shot).
  • flight4590flight4590 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    I'm just glad that STRV103B didn't bring up Z again.
    Good riddance.  Not to be rude but he was really argumentative..
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bucks73 said:

A very good explanation, I’m not as convinced it’s going to make a big difference though unfortunately. If the late player can’t be challenged with 1 win (+16) weaker active players are still going to be targeted by stronger players and put into negative figures I reckon, hope I’m proved wrong. 
  • TGPDTGPD Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @STRV103B has officially left the forum.
    Just like how I make my Humanities teacher do the same ;)
  • PichaiPichai Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Even though I have not placed in the top 3 of any RQ limited events, I have truly enjoyed them.

• HuacanachaHuacanacha Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    A very good explanation, I’m not as convinced it’s going to make a big difference though unfortunately. If the late player can’t be challenged with 1 win (+16) weaker active players are still going to be targeted by stronger players and put into negative figures I reckon, hope I’m proved wrong. 
    It’s not the solution just by itself. It could be a complete solution for late sniping if combined with:
    - players must play all four sets to qualify for prizes
    - entrance to tournaments ends before the tournament does (1 day for majors, maybe 6 hours for 24 hour events)
    - all four sets must be completed before the entry time expires

For rewarding active play vs strong hands, you are right people will still be targeted if they are running weaker hands than their neighbors. That’s just the nature of the game though, and this system does give a small incentive and points boost for active playing, making it a little easier to do well with volume vs quality.
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only the second point... because if the event start 23 pm in Italy (not only in Italy but in Europe,i talk about my experience), the day after people work and i don't enter the game until 17/18 pm the day after; i enter when i can play.. so for 24 hours events, it's very restricted timing... i don't race 5 tickets and then i go to sleep and see my position go down hour after hour because i work... not all students or with lucky or $$ here...
  • daGmandaGman Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bucks73 said:

Basically you’ll get 3 more pts every win. So if you go 10-10 you’ll be at 30 pts instead of 0 pts give or take a few pts. This helps avoid the issue where people come in a min before the end of the event and take spot of someone 50-50 and they go 1-0
    Post edited by daGman on
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bucks73 said:

When you race with tickets, you will get your normal points for a win, plus 3 bonus points.
    Points will remain the same if you win when challenged by another player, lose, or draw.

(This can definitely be reduced to a more concise explanation if anyone else can give it a shot).

Points stay same, challenger gets 3 bonus points for a win.

@Hutch_Demorphic you got some copy-writing work for me?
  • DeserTDeserT Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    Just lock events 2 hours before the end and problem solved.
  • Olli8888Olli8888 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a guy in my bracket (german event) on first place with pretty high points he just disappeared, ten minutes ago he was there. Did the update roll out?
    when the update? i don't see it and it's 11 march and you said 6 march patch.. do i miss something ?
  • NinjaDesignzNinjaDesignz Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mauro07 said:
    when the update? i don't see it and it's 11 march and you said 6 march patch.. do i miss something ?
    It may say "March 6th patch" but they never announced when it would drop. It could be this week or next week
    So why call 6 march patch? call the patch with the name of the day that go out...
  • grandvachegrandvache Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not, it's patch 3.5, with 6th march refers to the thread here which started on 6th march, presumably so they can distinguish between this thread and any subsequent ones regarding patch 3.5
    in the 3d of patch.. tehy said: "..release soon.." so for Hutch what do you mean soon? for me 1/2 days... we are in 1 week... maybe 1 month? like when they talk about next update.. will pass 1 month or over...
    'soon' is an undefined period that suggests a period of time that isn't too long. That's all that it means.

It allows them to offer us pertinent information early and not just to drop the update on us at the last minute. We players asked Hutch to do us that courtesy and they have responded admirably.

Telling us it'll come out 'soon', is much better than telling us it is already out.
    Update 3.5 is rolling out now to live
  • joel24joel24 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    yay got the update !!!
  • jczerojczero Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I’m wrong. Is most part of the updates been already implemented in the game even without the update?
  • joel24joel24 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    jczero said:

Correct me if I’m wrong. Is most part of the updates been already implemented in the game even without the update?
    most part of the update like ......? you mean removing hutch bots ?
    Will i be moved into a new bracket?
    edited March 2018
    i think yes @RobGripes ....
    bug fixing?

*Edit* Additional Changes that have also gone in with this update:

Trophies Awarded in Prize Tiers

Currently your final event trophy score is added (or subtracted) to your trophy total. With this new change, we will begin to transition to trophies being tied to the prizes you win, not your final event score.

Hard Trophy Thresholds

We want trophies to be more representative of a players overall event performance and limit some of the big fluctuations that currently take place. Trophy counts should realistically increase as you race more and steadily improve your deck.

Trophy Count for New Players

New players will start the game with zero trophies.

can you explain better this part?

mauro07 said:
    i think yes @RobGripes ....

I wonder if I can move from 2nd to 1st if I update.

Or maybe it's a gamble and I'll go down to 11th!

I am a gambler though....
  • TGPDTGPD Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grate. Out on Google Play.

If you update you will be moved to a new leaderboard. There's no way to have players on different game versions in the same leaderboards.

jczero said:

Some changes require you to update your game client version. Others are server-side changes that take place without the need for updating. The server side changes are live now, the client changes will come in once you make the update.